PDA

View Full Version : Decision Time (Please read)

CDMA
06-15-2003, 09:14 PM
Ok guys I need some help. I need to make a decision and while I usually believe you often ask advice when you already know then answer I am in a real debacle.

As some of you may know I don’t have a lot of free time. School is insanely intense and leaves time for little else. For the last two years I have tried to balance school, life, the 18 and the building the 22. As can be seen by the incredible progress on my 22...it isn’t going so well. As I wind down my Webb career (one more year) and look forward to what is looking more and more like a long stint at MIT my time availability over the next four years does not look to be changing.

After this weekend in Lake George and seeing everyone I am once again reminded a few things you forget:

1) I love the events more then anything
2) I want a 22 bad. I love the 18 but a bigger boat is nice at times.
3) Going to events take time, but taking a boat is four times as much

What I am faced with is an upcoming summer of only 7 weeks. (Sad I know). This time will likely be my only available time in the next few years to get any significant projects done. I am looking forward to my most challenging year at Webb as well as a pretty significant thesis I am undertaking.

The bottom line is this summer I have enough time to:

a) Go to the events with the 18. Most of my free time would have to be spent getting the boat ready, traveling, and doing some projects on the boat I feel I need to before I can enjoy it. To me enjoying it was not like this past weekend. Going unprepared, untested and generally half assed. I don’t like to operate like that and it eliminates the fun for me.
b) Park the 18, winterize it, and put her in storage. Scale back my event schedule (1000 islands and maybe 1 other) without a boat. Take the block of free time I have and build this 22. 7 weeks of nothing but 12 hour a day 22 construction.

I only ask all of you because I am very conflicted. Like all of you I detest going to an event w/o a boat, love driving and enjoying my boat, and cry at the thought of a lost season. At the same time I am dying to get the 22 done, I can’t justify 20K in parts sitting at my house for 5 years while they wait, and realize if I don’t do this now it may just be 5 years before I get it done.

So I am going to make this a pole but at the same time if any of you closer to me have any comments I would very much appreciate them. All I ask is that you understand it just isn’t possible for me to do both. I have tried, unsuccessfully, for years and while some of you newer boat owners/stock boat owners may not understand an old high performance/non stock boat is a full time job in itself to keep going and I don’t have time, no matter how you cut it, for both.

So thanks for your thoughts. I really appreciate it.

Chris

Ok guess Polls are gone. Just post

Hotboat
06-15-2003, 09:21 PM
Use the 18 and enjoy the summer! Take advice from someone who has spent too much time in the garage when I should have been out with family and friends enjoying the time together. Boats can be bought and sold daily. Time can never be reclaimed. :D

ToonaFish
06-15-2003, 09:24 PM
"B"

You've answered your own question. Now, I'd be more than happy to store the 18 for the next five years and run her just enough to stay in condition... :D

Bunches,

Celene 'do they allow unstriped boats in Georgia?'

oldLenny
06-15-2003, 09:29 PM
Chris, ditto the Hotboat answer. You don't know what tomorrow brings. No one does. Enjoy your youth!..You have the rest of your life to wander around in a shop full of glass and parts and ponder the future...(just ask me)

Run the 18, all summer, and clear your mind a bit...That stuff isn't going anywhere...

..my $.02...

Crazy Horse
06-15-2003, 09:33 PM
Enjoy summer's freedom and strive to sustain it as long as you can. Run the 18.

knee deep
06-15-2003, 09:37 PM
An honest answer, am 60/40 in favour of enjoying the 18 while you are young and can. The parts aren't going anywhere and you need time to relax and clear your head. Hell, I've changed my thoughts, use the 18 and the time will appear for the 22. Good Luck!

BUIZILLA
06-15-2003, 09:50 PM
So, your head says detail the 18 some more... and use it. :confused:

your heart says to tackle the 22 :p

common sense says you do NOT have enough time to do the 22 right.. :rolleyes:

so, why have 2 boats that aren't done? :mad:

solution, send them both down here for me and Poodle to trash :D , and use Tuxedo's stuff wink

J

Cuda
06-15-2003, 09:53 PM
Spend your time having fun with your 18. The 22 will still be there when you are ready. The summer of your 21st year will NEVER come again.

olredalert
06-15-2003, 11:29 PM
Chris,

------While I would like to echo the rest of the input and do to some extent,restorations can be a rewarding experience as well.
------Hey,if you make it to 1000 Islands sans D-boat,Ill hire you as designated skipper for the weekend.Maybe that will take some of the edge off.Im getting too old to drive anyway.NOT!..........Bill S

Walt. H.
06-16-2003, 12:55 AM
Chris,

Hope you got the message, it's a whole lot of year's of wisdom you just read that didn't come cheap to those that have spoken.

Now if you think this is a difficult decision to make. What are you going to do if/when you fall in Lust I mean Love? eek! Yeah! Something to think about. :confused:

Good Luck, You'll do OK! :)

Ed Donnelly
06-16-2003, 02:44 AM
Do the 22. You know this is the last chance till who knows when this block of time will rear its ugly head again.I had a life long dream to build something, saved for years, bought all the parts,THEN BAM got married for the 4th.time at 47. Now I have 2 boys 9&11 and a daughter 7. There is no such thing as free time anymore.600 mi. on my Harley since 2000,under 200 mi. on the Pantera since 2000,5hrs on my Criterion (4 of them in the driveway) since 2000. Sounds like I am bitching but I wouldn't change a thing. Like everyone says, you don't know the future so do the 22 in the present...Ed

MOP
06-16-2003, 04:36 AM
Chris my tilt on life is to do all you can when you can, life never slows down. It is a juggling act and a jig saw puzzle all in one, do any of us find the time to get all the pieces to fit? I say NOT but do we give up another NOT! You need to find a happy medium. The 18 needs to find its end in being changed so now it can be your joy. That will free up some time for the 22, and as much as I hate mention it rainy days and a few nights here and there the project will come together. Do the projects while you are young, they take longer and longer as time goes by. Many things end up as dreams unfulfilled. The most important thing is making sure your education is priority # 1 that will give you all you need in the future to realize many more dreams than most.

MikeMiller
06-16-2003, 06:45 AM
You're too much fun and too young to waste it in the garage on your 21st year on this globe!!

Cherish this time with friends! Run the hell out of the 18 - the 22s not going anywhere! Besides... who will I ride with?

Luv ya,

Cuda
06-16-2003, 06:50 AM
Just remember, never put off for tomorrow, what you can put off for good!

BTW, where's your buddy?! :)

CDMA
06-16-2003, 07:20 AM
Thanks guys you bring up some very good points. The one thing I keep coming back to is I enjoy the building/creation as much as the running. While I love running the 18 maybe it is time to do something else for a change considering I have been running the 18 for a few years now.

Chris

Dredgeking
06-16-2003, 08:17 AM
finish the 22 while you have the time. it's difficult to come up with a large block of time to complete projects when you get out of school.

boldts
06-16-2003, 08:33 AM
This is difficult for me, but I'll try to keep it short.

I've been a Diabetic since the age of 8. I'm 42 now and have had the pleasure of owning a Donzi boat for 17 years now. The reason I have the boat is because I live every day as though it might be the last and it is my get-away from the pressures that everyday life throws at you.

I got married 7 years ago and we have a beautiful 6 year old daughter. We don't always have the time or money to do the things we once did, but I can come home from work at 5PM, have the boat at the lake by 6PM and all of a sudden, there is not another care in the world! Just the feeling of being behind the wheel of a performance boat when you bring it to life. Best thing is, my daughter loves the boat also. Nothing sounds better than her saying "FASTER DADDY, I WANT TO BE THE LINE LEADER!"

While I would love to see a 22 Classic with an Arneson on it, personally, I feel your biggest concern at 21 should be getting your education behind you. A good education will open many future doors for you. Take this time to finish your 18 and enjoy it. The gatherings are fun and the friends we have made at these gatherings will be ever-lasting. E-mail is a wonderful thing and even a simple phone call every now and then to friends is priceless. Did I mention enjoy your free time?

I've got basically 2 rules I live by. The lord giveth and the lord taketh away. It can happen at any time! Be thankful for all you have. Always treat people the way you would want to be treated! I'm no expert, but doing these 2 things have made life pretty easy and enjoyable so far.

roadtrip se
06-16-2003, 09:03 AM
Some really great life advice here. Wow!

Somewhere in the middle, there has got to be a happy medium AND I want to see that 22 run some time in my life time for selfish reasons.

So, I would suggest you get started on the 22, but throw away that seven week deadline, and commit yourself to going back to it on a regular basis. Progress will be made over time and once for all, you will be the one to end the 22 speed wars.

See you in a couple of weeks,

Todd

2biguns
06-16-2003, 09:40 AM
I'll cast my vote for Scott's response.

Amy and I are in the middle of a house rennovation. For the past couple of weeks, it seems that every waking hour has been filled with some kind of project. Up at the crack of dawn to head to the office and work until 5, then head to the house and work on something else until bed time.

On Saturdays, I usually wake up at 5:00 in a panic because there's so much to do. I'll head to the house and start work by 6:00 and work until after lunch then force myself to head to the lake for a break. Sundays the same thing--8:00 church then go to the house and work some more.

I turned 42 last week and decided that it was time for a break. We've been going so hard that it seems the weeks are flying by and we're not enjoying Amy's pregnancy at all.

Keep the 22 as a project and budget some time to work on her as you can but don't dive in and devote every second to it. There will be a day that you won't have a week of freedom--much less 7.

For me, working on the house is a pleasure because it's something that provides instant gratification in seeing the result.

HP 600SC
06-16-2003, 10:06 AM
I agree, finish the 22.....the clock never stops and you will have less free time as life goes on......Not sure about it ending the 22 speed wars though..... :D
http://www.donzi.net/photos/xfact3.jpg

BUIZILLA
06-16-2003, 10:16 AM
OMG!!!

Ted, your sick, just plain sick... :D :D

J

smokediver
06-16-2003, 10:36 AM
Hey Chris, you are only young once and never old twice !!! enjoy the 18 while your young bones can bear it... then build the 22 as you get a little older and more settled.. just my opinion..

CDMA
06-16-2003, 11:40 AM
An Old quote I always loved:

"Houses are but badly built boats so firmly aground that you cannot think of moving them. They are definitely inferior things, belonging to the vegetable not the animal world, rooted and stationary, incapable of gay transition. I admit doubtfully, as exceptions, snail-shells and caravans. The desire to build a house is the tired wish of a man content thenceforward with a single anchorage. the desire to build a boat is the desire of youth, unwilling yet to accept the idea of a final anchorage.

It is for that reason, perhaps, that, when it comes, the desire to build a boat is one of those that can not be resisted. It begins as a little cloud on the serene horizon. It ends by covering the whole sky, so that you can think of nothing else. You must build to regain your freedom. And always you comfort yourself with the thought that yours will be the perfect boat, the boat that you may search the harbours of the world for an not find"

Rancundra's First Cruise 1929

Arthur Ransome

McGary911
06-16-2003, 12:01 PM
Chris, don't know you but through your posts, it seems that you love these kinds of projects. I'd get started on the 22, get to a gathering to see your friends, even if it is only as a donzi passenger.
One thing i discovered after i turned 21. I have owned a bunch of cool (i think) mechanical stuff. When i was younger and looking for these toys, one thing that struck me, was that when i asked the sellers why they were selling. 60% of the replies were that they didnt have the time anymore. At age of 21, i thought they must have been on crack. How could they not have time for a vintage porsche, ATV, boat, etc? Fast forward 12 years. I now commute 2hrs each way to work (4 day week), have a condo to upkeep (single, i have to do it all), friends i value keeping in touch with, tons of errands to run, a grandmother whos yard i take care of, a 31' silverton go-slo, a 78 porsche 911, and of course the Criterion.....and you know what? I'm finding out i dont have the time for all of it! Im not selling any toys yet, but i havent touched the porsche for 2 years. Makes me sick sometimes. I'm afraid i may have become that guy who the 21 year old McGary thought was on crack because he doesnt have the time for the cool toys. Life tends to get busier once you get older, use your 7 weeks to get on the 22, remembering to still see your donzi friends.

And in 2016, when some 21 year old kid comes inquiring about the ad in the classifieds for the 22' Donzi, don't be the guy to tell him you just dont have the time anymore.....

gee that was long......sorry :o

BTW: I actually had time for the criterion yesterday! Rode it for about 6 hours. Splash #3 for the boat, and first significant run time. Even gave Dad a ride for fathers day. :D

Damn......just made my post longer...ill go now.

Zinger
06-16-2003, 02:11 PM
Just my 2cents life is so short , your boat can be finished at anytime, enjoy the summer off with family and friends these times can never be replaced.Jeff

Moody Blu'
06-16-2003, 07:45 PM
thats tough, it sounds like you already want to put the 22 together. but wanted to hear everyone say build the 22.

if you have all the parts then wtf? put that together and run it. where is the problem?
Its like me, I have a tilt and trim drive sitting here, a set of worked 351w heads too but i wont put them on yet, im thinkin about waiting till I have the stroker kit for another 351w block.

If you have all the parts then what are you waiting for? Just make a schedule so you can enjoy your nights.

mattyboy
06-16-2003, 08:35 PM
Chris,
take my advice I was pre law or pre med in college what's the difference :p wink enjoy your youth get the 18 to a point where it is turnkey
no hi-po stuff enjoy it and then save for the 22
for after MIT, then do it up to the hilt!!!!
some times you gotta say !@#$%^& it

Matty
if it's got 5 qts of oil it has to have oil pressure

harbormaster
06-16-2003, 09:12 PM
Anyone can drag an 18 to events. Just look at all the old guys doing it.
But building an Arneson 22 with a hot engine...
These same guys dream of it. Marriage, Mortgages and kids put a serious crimp in that experience,

Build the 22. It will make you famous!!!

You will wonder why you did not do it sooner....

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
06-16-2003, 09:15 PM
Prioritize:

#1) School. Whatever is neccessary when it's due.

#2) 22 Footer. Every waking moment that you're not doing the school thang, work on the 22. Just go flat out on it. Be relentless!

#3) 18 Footer. There will be those days, however, when you just can't make any progress on the 22 for whatever reason: waiting for parts, waiting for someone else to perform a service you're not equipped to do yourself, etc. On those days you take out the 18' for a blast in the bay. (You will have it ready to go, just in case, right?)

And remember to tape your favorite motorsports from the SPEED Channel, and put them aside for viewing on those few days when you're waiting for parts for the 22 -AND- it's to rainy to take out the 18!

Remember, he who dies with the most toys wins, and I have a head start on you: www.geocities.com/kool_toyz (http://www.geocities.com/kool_toyz)
so get busy!!!

FR :p

Fish boy
06-16-2003, 09:59 PM
Hey Chris,
quite the dilemma. In reality, you are the only one that knows what you will enjoy the most at a time when you should be trying to squeeze every ounce of enjoyment out of life.

However, if it were me, I would save the 22 and work on it when you can, but get the most out of your life right now and enjoy the 18. If you think back on fond memories that you have, i am sure a great many will envolve friends, family, and good times. While I am sure there is great satisfaction in the restoration/metamorphasis, is it the same?

It really is true that you should enjoy everyday like it is your last because none of us knows whather it will be or not. What ever you decide, make sure you are trading each day for something that makes you happy- otherwise you have wasted one of the most precious things you have.

goatee
06-16-2003, 10:08 PM
life is too short man, enjoy it if you can!
(coming from a donzi owner wanna-be)

Forrest
06-17-2003, 09:16 AM
Chris, the heck with all of the deciding on what to do for the next seven weeks. Only you can figure that out. At this point, I would be more interested in finding out where Ted got that wild-looking Bravo transom assembly and exactly what it does!!!

CDMA
06-17-2003, 09:44 AM
As I know it and I could be wrong so correct me if someone knows and I know some of you out there do...

The drive set up is what I believe is called the X factor. It is a system that lets you adjust the X dimension and trim while running. A fellow in Florida designed it a few years ago and I think holds the patent on it. He was going to go into business with it but it never happened. I know they fit it on the Yanmar powered 22 a few years ago. If you look close I am not sure that picture ted posted is actually his boat. I see what I think is a notch in the hull. But as usual with Ted he gives you just enough for a tease and never the whole story.

HP 600SC
06-17-2003, 10:10 AM
Chris, you are correct...it is the same photo I e-mailed you earlier this year and it is the "X-factor" that we spoke about. My friend did invent it, he holds 7 patents on it and has just sold it to a major boat manufacturer.
I can not say what company bought it, but we did get a 9MPH increase over stock, on his 22 donzi classic diesel. Is that enough info Chris???
Sorry I forgot YOU have no secrets.......
Ted M. (Mr. interesting knowledge)
:p

CDMA
06-17-2003, 11:11 AM
Oh course I do I just know what to say to get info out of ya wink

Chris

Worked :)

Classes are over...bring on the finals

TuxedoPk
06-17-2003, 11:19 AM
I'm going to have to agree with Buizilla wink You've already got a rudder, you just need a GT to go with it.

Bad-Tat
06-17-2003, 07:12 PM
Chris,
I agree with the folks that say keep both and budget your time on the 22. You will enjoy both for many years to come.

Hey Ted,
Think that transom setup will make the Blackhawk fly better??

EricG
06-17-2003, 09:08 PM
Chris...I originally was going to say that you should just play with the 18...but after thinking a bit more, I vote for the 22.

First, there is a short list of folks that I would have NO problem turning the keys to my boat over to at a gathering...I've never met you, but your on the list. You can still have a great time at a few gatherings, even without the 18.

Second, my stepfather has a 1936 Ford Pickup that he currently has 2 sets of Fenders, 3 Boxes, full Glass, etc, etc, etc. (lots of dollars in parts). The truck and all of parts ready to assemble have been sitting in the garage for 24 years....ready to finish. I think he wishes he would have spent the 7 weeks or so to finish it back then....

I re-did my Century when I was 21/22...I loved the project. I couldn't wait to start another one...now I get to use the Donzi maybe 2 times a month, I work and travel constantly (I'm currently in Lubbock, TX), and I have no idea how I ended up being on the edge of turning 30...

Finish the projects while you still can. Then if you have time later, you can always do another one...but you will have "Wonder 22" and the "Stripeless 18" to squeeze use out of if the projects have to wait.

-EG

Stix Magill
06-17-2003, 09:35 PM
Chris,
My vote is for you to finish your 22, but don't put time restraints on the project. When you get a little burned out, dust off the 18 and clear your head.

Recruit some of the guys from the site to speed things up a bit. God knows, you would have plenty of offers! Even someone to hand you the tools that are always out of reach will save you hours and hours.

Envious of your initiative,

My 2 cents,
Scott Smith

Air 22
06-17-2003, 09:51 PM
:D As we pull out of the Algonquin in my 22...CDMA says..
"Dwight...I love your boat and this color...now I remember why I have my 22."

Run the 18...work on the 22 when time allows. You need to enjoy the summer. Mike is right....the 22 isn't going anywhere wink Hell, your ahead of most..you have 2 DONZI's :D

Find those DECALS?

RUN and have FUN! wink

Jake
06-19-2003, 12:01 PM
Like many of the other people that replied, I have never met you or anyone here. I do not post a lot, but I read ALL THE TIME. I actually feel I know many people on this boat.

Bottom line that I don't think anyone has said specifically is that doing this project is an experience that many people would love to have. I am not much older than you and I have projects that I always said in a few years I would do, but now I have MANY other responsibilities and unfortunately boating cannot be one of them. Last year my boat came out two different weekends. That shows you that I have no time for a project.

So enjoy the project while you have the time, money, enthusiasm, and a place to do it. After MIT, who knows where you'll be. It sounds like now is the time. Have a ball.

Jake

BUIZILLA
06-19-2003, 12:28 PM
So Chris...
what's the decision ??

J :cool:

PaulO
06-19-2003, 01:25 PM
Chris,
As your oldest Donzi pal ( I mean longest standing), I feel I may know you more than most. Here is what I think you need to do. BTW, any amateur psycologist can read your posts and see that you made the answer clear anyway.
Finish the damn 22. It eats away at you for several reasons:

1. You have gone just about as far with the 18 as you wish to. You enjoy the building and the testing as much as any aspect of this.

2. You need new visceral information to move your boat design understanding further. A new platform to play with with your own hands.

3. As much as you love the 18, you view the 22 as a "step up" and you need to compete to some extent as we all do. Whether or not you will view it as a "step up" when it is done, is part of the process.

4. You WILL have time for projects in the near future whether you believe it or not. You need to start moving on the next one. Get this one moving to make time and space.

5. Events ARE great but, you need to attend them with something really cutting edge (nothing against the 18).

6. I want to see the 22 done (oops, my reason not yours)

7. There is no such thing as slowing down and enjoying life. They do not go together. Your pace is faster than most and more hectic because you basically enjoy it that way. That doesn't mean that there isn't frustation and occasionaly small failures. As Steve Winwood wrote and I mostly accurately quote: "It used to seem to me that my life went on too fast, and I had take it slower, just to make the good times last. But when you're born to run, it's so hard to just slow down, so don't be surprised to see me, back in the bright part of town..."

Get moving or, I'll have to come out and finish the damn thing in one weekend and make you look silly!!!!

PaulO

seano
06-19-2003, 01:36 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one that voted for finishing the 22...

but that doesn't mean you've got to shrinkwrap the 18 and put it away. you'll have to take a day here or there tho maintain your sanity and take a break from the project. A quick blast on the Peconic will remind you why you're working so hard on the 22.

Your education is the most important consideration here and it sounds like you've got a good enough head on your shoulders to understand that.

finish the 22...I think you'll find that to be an important part of you education(and ours), as hands on is the best experience you can get in any industry.

And if you need a hand, call Paul...

Just kidding...in all seriousness, if you need help with anything, let me know.

One last thing...in your spare time, you NEED to find me a 20 or 24 Cig project! :)

Sean
516 455 1200

Barry Phillips
06-19-2003, 05:17 PM
Hi Chris, I had a Boston Whaler in college which I bought without a motor, I refinished the wood, replaced the rope steering and revamped the trailer, but I just could not affored a motor until I got a job. My little project sat there for 4 years, the longest I have ever been without my own boat since I was 14. You are lucky you have 2 Donzis. I waited to long to get my first Donzi. Keep your options open, your 22 project is much more complex than my little Whaler, so don't rush it. Enjoy the 18 when you can and maybe you can find time the 22. Unfortunitly time only gets shorter as we get older so enjoy it while you can.

SO-SLO

Ed Donnelly
06-19-2003, 06:00 PM
You will be posting photos as you go along I trust. Lets see, 2 weeks today the registry will be flooded with 22 photos. Have a ball with your project.OF COURSE YOU ARE GOING AHEAD WITH THE 22...Ed

CDMA
06-19-2003, 07:50 PM
Well boys and gals...I set the 18 away today ( eek! eek! eek! ). Time to create my monster...

It isn't that the 18 isn't finished. It is the fact that the amount of time it takes for me to use it and maintain it how I want to/fix anything that breaks precludes all other projects. And honestly to me my 18 will never really be finished. I am constantly going to be trying to find a way to make it run faster, better, etc. It is just my nature.

Finals are over tomorrow. Then Vacation for a week. After that...here come the pictures!!!

Chris

SS18
06-19-2003, 08:26 PM
Chris,
Just don't kill yourself it will all come in time.I also work minimum 60 hrs a week,go to my teenage kids sport events,work on a little project boat when I can,keep up on the yard,wash the cars and trucks and boats of course still manage to take my wife to dinner or two a week (married 20 yrs this july 9) only 39 myself and whatever else comes on aging parents, both tired and Ill but this is what Keeps me level and focused It's is called being a grown up! Just remember you always have to have a little fun to offset the busy hard work schedule it is a routine for most all of us .You seem to be very motivated and that is good !You will figure it out
if you want to work on the 22 you will if not it is not going any where.

BigGrizzly
06-19-2003, 09:36 PM
Wise choice. The 18 will never be complete to your satisfaction. There will always be something new to try, it never ends. Do the 22 to the best of your abilityand under no circumstances make tempory fixes or short cuts. Old racers say "After 3 days a tempory fix becomes permnant. I have my 22 for 4 years and am still messing with it, changing this and modifying that. I have the Corsican for 13 years and I still an changing somethimg and testing different props. Besides working on stuff is my vacation. I have been doimg the engine thing for well over 40 years, from race cars to mortorcycles to boats and it will never end for me untill I die. You hav wanted to do this at least from 2000, so just do it

Mark Albers
06-19-2003, 10:16 PM
CDMA wink

Now you can look forward to:

A 30 year mortgage, children, Corporate America bull****, an x-wife, child support, freaking taxes, neighborhood association fees, insurance premiums, cable TV, and ...

Go ask your Dad, he will fill in the rest

Mark 311 :cool:
Sarasota - - - W F O (close to the factory and far from a dream)