PDA

View Full Version : 18' Corsican

1996Z15
06-15-2003, 08:39 PM
I just got back from vacation; went to St. Thomas. While driving around my wife and I passed this marina and I spotted a red Donzi under a cover. On another trip passed the marina the cover was off to reveal a beautiful Corsican. i didn't have time to check it out but it was cool to see one.

olredalert
06-15-2003, 11:14 PM
------What!!!!!......No pictures?You,sir,should be hogtied and horsewhipped.No?Oh well,maybe just tell us more.Corsican owners and future Corsican owners want to know.Another one of the original 54,and in St.Thomas no less.Good eye,agent 1996Z15.The finders fee will be sent to the Cayman Islands account............Bill S.....agent red!

Forrest
06-16-2003, 03:51 PM
Well, if you didn't get any pics, I hope that you bought plenty of good liquor cheap while your were there.

1996Z15
06-16-2003, 04:09 PM
Sorry that I didn't get any pictures. I did appear to be well cared for as it was under a very nice cover almost every time that we passed the marina. It was red with white trim and, as I said, in very nice shape from what I could see.
Had I known that the Corsican was that rare (54 made) I would have stopped to get a closer look and maybe get the hull number for the registry. I guess I'll just have to go back there again. :rolleyes:

oldLenny
06-16-2003, 04:53 PM
Who picked up the yellow one in FLA a couple of weeks ago. The one in Boattrader?

olredalert
06-16-2003, 05:59 PM
------I think that yellow boat is still for sale.........Bill S

Islander
06-16-2003, 06:50 PM
My brother called and was told that the boat sold.

Stix Magill
06-17-2003, 08:22 PM
Hey 1996!

Why are you using my picture as your avatar?

What's the deal?

1996Z15
06-18-2003, 06:33 AM
I was using it because I saw that the boat was a Minx and that is what I just purchased. I'll change it if it bothers you.

mphatc
06-18-2003, 07:20 AM
Has anyone compiled a list or record of who owns which Corsican , and where are all of them?

I would be willing to gather this info and attempt to keep it up to date.

To that end, could someone forward me the phone number of the person who just sold the yellow one in Florida.

hull #1 Winni
#32 Winni (That's me)
another here in NH, hull # unknown
Bill S #54

Please forward your names and addresses to me me offlist if yoo would like to partake.

TIA
Mario L.
hull #32

oldLenny
06-18-2003, 10:49 AM
What I posted on June 07/03

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/2/0/49467920.htm

Yes, it is sold, went to South Carolina...hmmmmm??? The fellow is at the second number in the post, not the top one.

1996Z15
06-21-2003, 04:10 PM
Come to think of it, when I was a kid probably sometime in the late '70's early '80's there was an all black V-Drive Corsican in my area. I saw the boat a few times in Ventnor, NJ on a trailer. Does anyone on this board own that boat or remember having seen such a boat before? I had no idea what I was looking at when I saw it except it looked like an 18 with a funky deck.

olredalert
06-21-2003, 06:36 PM
------The only V-drive Corsican I can actually say I know the whereabouts of is on Harsens Island and has been since birth.It presently resides a few doors from Kraven and isnt for sale.Its yellow and white and is powered by a 427 side-oiler Holman-Moody drivetrain.Engine has been rebuilt more than once,and still runs well.Original gelcoat is dull but remarkably nice.Took one ride in it about 4 years ago and it was good for about 60 and could turn on a dime flat out.Driver that day had a few beers in him and a short ride was enough that day.Would love to go out in it again but he doesnt get out in it much!
-------An all black one would look lethal.No.1 is black and white but is Volvo driven.I also had a black and white one briefly back in 1969 or 70.It was cool because it had a tan interior,but also Volvo driven.Often have wondered where that boat went............Bill S

mphatc
06-21-2003, 07:17 PM
http://www.donzi.net/hull.cfm?id=191

there's this one as well . . .

Although not a Corsican I have seen numerous 427 V-Drive 18s . . .

do we know how may still exist?

Mario
4 launchings, 4 tow ins . . . perfect average!

olredalert
06-21-2003, 07:48 PM
Mario,

------When I said outside of Fla.I ment John and Kathys beautiful,outrageous Corsican as they are no longer Arizonaites but are back in the sunshine state.
------I feel your pain on No.32.I almost hesitate to ask but what went wrong the last time out?I wish I was close enough to help!.........Bill S

jskvi
06-22-2003, 01:59 AM
HEY GANG,
I LIVE IN ST THOMAS, I'VE GOT A 22 CLASSIC, HAVE NOT SEEN THIS CORSICAN, WHERE DID YOU SEE IT?? WHAT MARINA OR LOCATION ?? WOULD LIKE TO CHECK IT OUT .
LATER,
JIM

1996Z15
06-22-2003, 07:39 AM
My wife and I were on Rt 32, I think, going from Bluebeards Castle heading to the Car Ferry going to St. John. There were a number of marinas along the way, this one in particular was situated on a curve. The Corsican was either on a trailer or a cradle on the ground with a cover over it. The one day that we saw it with the cover off we saw that it was a beautiful red and white Corsican. Happy hunting.

martyn crawford
04-03-2007, 11:48 AM
I just got back from vacation; went to St. Thomas. While driving around my wife and I passed this marina and I spotted a red Donzi under a cover. On another trip passed the marina the cover was off to reveal a beautiful Corsican. i didn't have time to check it out but it was cool to see one.
I live in st thomas, own red corsican..only one in town!
Chevy z4 330 hp new. Merc out drive. Fully restored Red / white interior.
Name..MissIsle.
Martyn@doubloon.com.

GBay
08-28-2009, 12:15 PM
Hi There:
Was just surfing and came across your conversation. I've got a Corsican - have had it since '89 - my belief is that it is a '69 - and did a restoration on the hull and deck in '99. It is a blue hull with red deck and white stripe. Engine is a 351 Cleveland. Not sure where to find the hull number, frankly haven't looked, but any suggestions on where to find it would be appreciated.

Rootsy
08-28-2009, 12:42 PM
Crawl under the dash and look at the back with a wet rag and a flash light. If the helm is still on the original side the hull ID should be beneath the glass on the plywood on the side opposite the helm. Best place to start anywho. Use the rag to wet the glass.. easier to see the felt tip underneath of it.

GBay
08-28-2009, 01:37 PM
Thanks for that...will have a look when I'm up next. It is still a left hand helm.

olredalert
08-28-2009, 05:45 PM
-----Most all the Corsicans should have foil tags with ID #s underneath the rear seat backs..........Mr.Bill

rocky1
01-08-2010, 10:29 PM
Has anyone compiled a list or record of who owns which Corsican , and where are all of them?
I would be willing to gather this info and attempt to keep it up to date.
To that end, could someone forward me the phone number of the person who just sold the yellow one in Florida.
hull #1 Winni
#32 Winni (That's me)
another here in NH, hull # unknown
Bill S #54
Please forward your names and addresses to me me offlist if yoo would like to partake.
TIA
Mario L.
hull #32
i owned a corsican in approx 1980.it was sitting in a vacant lot in ocala ,florida.i knew nothing about donzi's at that point but i knew what i like style wise; so i looked up the owners name of the property and bought it from him.after i began working on it (stock holman moody 302)i noticed the gold plaque on the dash which read,"special built for bernie little"
i then found out who bernie little was:a distributor of the bush beer empire ala budwiser,etc if i remember right he married into the bush family or something like that.i think he was involved heavily in racing and miss budwiser.i really loved the design of the boat.it was a white hull with dark green front and rear "bubble" i put an add in boat trader and sold it right away.i had that, as well as a 2+3 black hull named" black widow"(351 cleveland) both had volvo drives and handled absolutely TERRIBLE,thus reason for selling them.the torque steer was almost too much for me and i was a strong young 30 yr old at the time.i have since later learned to replace with mercruiser set up and the torque steer goes away/\.i bought my step son a 18 classic w/mercruiser350, and it drives perfectly.i have since been told if i had installed hydraulic steering the volvo drive would have been okay.i would love to find that boat today i have always admired the lines of the corsican.i was told back then, the corsican was designed to accept fords 4,or6(?) webber carb set up with velocity stacks that was designed for the indy cars,thus the rear hatch "bubble" or radical rear deck crown if you will.they were supposed ot go racing with this design,but i never heard anything else from their effort or if they ever did.i 0knew a fellow in ocala who had such a set up(4 or 6(?) webber carbs,and manifold,and i was going to purchse it from him,but i was so disenchanted with the drivability of the torque steer,i sold it (and the 2+3) and bought a twin engine cigarette firefox.i was so happy with that boat ;i kept it for 20 years.just last year i bought another donzi 18 for my stepson and i bought and loveingly restored a 28ss cigarette.i also have a '56 aristocraft torpedo, and am working on a '57 herters duo foil flying fish . i have dove back into boating with both fins once again!!terry garbig

Conquistador_del_mar
01-09-2010, 01:05 AM
i owned a corsican in approx 1980.it was sitting in a vacant lot in ocala ,florida.i knew nothing about donzi's at that point but i knew what i like style wise; so i looked up the owners name of the property and bought it from him.after i began working on it (stock holman moody 302)i noticed the gold plaque on the dash which read,"special built for bernie little"
i then found out who bernie little was:a distributor of the bush beer empire ala budwiser,etc if i remember right he married into the bush family or something like that.i think he was involved heavily in racing and miss budwiser.i really loved the design of the boat.it was a white hull with dark green front and rear "bubble" i put an add in boat trader and sold it right away.i had that, as well as a 2+3 black hull named" black widow"(351 cleveland) both had volvo drives and handled absolutely TERRIBLE,thus reason for selling them.the torque steer was almost too much for me and i was a strong young 30 yr old at the time.i have since later learned to replace with mercruiser set up and the torque steer goes away/\.i bought my step son a 18 classic w/mercruiser350, and it drives perfectly.i have since been told if i had installed hydraulic steering the volvo drive would have been okay.i would love to find that boat today i have always admired the lines of the corsican.i was told back then, the corsican was designed to accept fords 4,or6(?) webber carb set up with velocity stacks that was designed for the indy cars,thus the rear hatch "bubble" or radical rear deck crown if you will.they were supposed ot go racing with this design,but i never heard anything else from their effort or if they ever did.i 0knew a fellow in ocala who had such a set up(4 or 6(?) webber carbs,and manifold,and i was going to purchse it from him,but i was so disenchanted with the drivability of the torque steer,i sold it (and the 2+3) and bought a twin engine cigarette firefox.i was so happy with that boat ;i kept it for 20 years.just last year i bought another donzi 18 for my stepson and i bought and loveingly restored a 28ss cigarette.i also have a '56 aristocraft torpedo, and am working on a '57 herters duo foil flying fish . i have dove back into boating with both fins once again!!terry garbig

Terry,
Is there any chance you could show some pictures of some of the boats? They sound awesome. Bill

v-drive
01-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Hey rocky1, do you know where those weber carbs are? I would like to buy another set for a project of mine. Thanks, Richy.