PDA

View Full Version : Merc 525's

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
05-29-2002, 09:55 PM
I have been getting conflicting info on he new Merc 525.
I was told Donzi hasn't set up a boat with them yet.
Pricing?
Anyone know anyone with these new motors?
Bryan

Woodsy
05-29-2002, 10:21 PM
Brian...

The 525 SC's have been around for awhile. They are based on a supercharged 454 block. You might be thinking of the new 575SC... very nice and very expensive!

Woodsy

roadtrip se
05-29-2002, 10:45 PM
Bryan,

Really quiet noise around this new motor, since the big shows and press conferences.

I know you want one for the Mercury Racing goodies, the juice, the closed cooling, aluminum heads, and the high tech ECU. BUT, I wouldn't want to be the first in line for an early run series motor.

My contacts tell me that supplies of this motor are short to non-existent. If I were you, I would shop for a deal on a 500HP EFI or wait a while for the kinks to go away with this platform.

May have a couple of performance surprises for you from Texas over the next couple of days....

Todd

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
05-29-2002, 10:54 PM
Woodsy, these are new motors from a 502 block, closed loop cooling etc. Check out their homepage.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/tuvell52501.jpg

HEY ROADTRIP, REMOTE SHOOTER! Just looking and shopping, yes shopping.... for motor/s in our next ZX.... :D :D :D
Bryan

Ranman
05-30-2002, 07:49 AM
Brian, If you and Nancy decide to sell the 26 to upgrade to another ZX, I guess I'll be forced to take it off your hands. Jenn has already given it the stamp of approval.

Actually, I have been combing the classifides to see what I can't afford. Say hi to Nancy for us. Randy

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
05-31-2002, 06:58 PM
RANMAN; interesting, we are looking, I made an offer two days ago, I guess the dealer is still thinking! He didn't call me back!
In fact I may order a 2003 ZX boat. I called my great dealer yesterday, he will likely come through for me.
Give me a call, I would give her to you for the exact amount they would give me. I bought her right and I am not upside down. It would be about 15K cheaper than any one you will find on the boat trader.
Stay in touch.
HI JENN.

Bryan

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
05-31-2002, 07:23 PM
HEY ROADTRIP, word has it the 33ZX for the dealer meeting will have a pair of these new 525's in her!

I did find out today they are truely in short supply at the moment. On an ordered boat should be no sweat.

Bryan

roadtrip se
06-01-2002, 12:19 AM
Bryan,

Tell Nancy to take it real slow on that bow tomorrow. The shine could catch her eyes at the wrong moment and boom, we got cleat prints in all the wrong places.

Reading between the lines, I am seeing TWO 525's in the Tuvell's future. Now that would be a real, real sweet ride. Dang, you're going to make it real hard for us to keep up in our little Classic 22 at the AOTH 3! So what kind of performance numbers are you being given? Is this going to be a Daytona or stock ZX? Inquiring minds want to know?

Please fill in the details...

Todd

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
06-01-2002, 05:20 AM
Todd, your too funny, I am still doing research. I will have to explain it over a REMOTE SHOT!
Gotta run, we need gas in the boat!
Bryan

BigGrizzly
06-01-2002, 06:55 AM
Bryan, Merc is had a block supply problem. I won't go into this on the net, if you want the details call. That new system is the Motron system and is the smartest system in boating today. They dumped a lot of money and time into it. I have actuall seen it work and it is really the best- at least today.

Randy

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
06-01-2002, 07:04 AM
Thanks Randy for the data, I do know they are in short supply, no big deal, we are still looking and trying to figure out what we might do, we have "many" options for a new boat, which includes just getting my cosmetic issues on the 26ZX repaired this winter and repower... We really don't want a 33 (to big for us and constantly towing, Nancy likes the ZXO, so who knows.
I would like to be able to do 55 to 65 MPH for longer periods of time at lower RPM's under warranty.
Long story Randy, maybe I will give you a call tonight.
Bryan

Digger
06-03-2002, 11:29 AM
keep us posted Bryan. As far as towing goes, the 33 is wide, but your truck would pull it no problem at all, and with 4wd you'll have no problem at any ramp. A 33 with 525's sounds like just the ticket!!

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
06-03-2002, 01:27 PM
Thanks Digger, like I said we are just looking, I got some feedback from a dealer on a 28ZX with twins yesterday.
Now That summer is here and we are running in large groups on long runs (130 Miles on saturday and again sunday) I am actually ok with our situation, we ran most of the day yesterday at 4200 RPM's.
We took her WOT a couple times for maybe 20 seconds to get closer to the front.
It would be nice to be able to do the longer runs at lower RPM's.

What are you guys thoughts on time vs RPM's?
Everyone says cruise should 3500, that is too slow for the way we boat etc.

I really love our boat, but I am sure I could love another Donzi the same way. Maybe a deal will fall in my lap, I am getting calls daily now.
Bryan

ToonaFish
06-03-2002, 01:41 PM
Bryan, doncha know it's cheaper to have someone detail the boat than to buy a new one everytime it needs waxing? :D

Bunches,

Celene 'twofootitis'

steve simon
06-03-2002, 01:47 PM
Hey to all,
I have the first set of 525's coming in the next 3 weeks I will keep you all informed on the performance.The first boat that will recieve these engines will be the 33 ZX.

harbormaster
06-03-2002, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the heads up Steve.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
06-04-2002, 04:24 AM
We have decided to look at 28ZX's with the new 6.2's. We considered a 33ZX, but it really is unrealistic for us.

We will likely order one soon if the numbers work out. The ball is in my dealers court now.
Bryan

CDMA
06-04-2002, 07:41 AM
You got a warranty on the 502 right? 5200 would seem appropriate. wink

SundanceKid
06-04-2002, 11:38 AM
I agree, the 28 definately runs better with a pair of small blocks. Bryan, good luck with your decision and I hope evrything turns out right for you.

SundanceKid
06-05-2002, 06:18 PM
If you're looking for a 2002 28, we've got one with 350 Mags for $85,000 if you're interested.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
06-05-2002, 06:32 PM
CDMA, great point. Our deal is finished, I just need to give the go.

I emailed several people (at the top) from Donzi with one simple question about an issue I seem to always have with my Donzi's, so I will wait for an answer before I push the "GO" button.

Thanks.
Bryan

fasttrucker
06-07-2002, 08:11 PM
i relly love the way my 28zx 98' runs got it upto 68mph,ithink about repowering it next year with a 500hp,but this 525 does sound good.note i have a single 502mag'415hp. :D

RickSE
06-20-2002, 11:38 AM
Is this the new Merc 525?

GM Powertrain Prepares To Launch Its Most Powerful Production Engine

Vortec HP3 8100 V8 Draws on Success of Vortec 8100 Truck Engine

PONTIAC, Mich. -- GM Powertrain will be introducing a high-performance Vortec HP3 8100 V8 marine engine, which will produce the highest output ever offered by a GM Powertrain production engine, to the marine market as part if its 2003 marine engine lineup.

Targeted for the performance recreational marine market, the Vortec HP3 is also proving to be a serious racecourse contender, straight out of the box. Currently undergoing validation testing, the Vortec HP3 produces more than 525 horsepower and more than 525 lb-ft of torque.

The Vortec HP3 is GM’s third marine power offering from a common 8.1-liter architecture. The Vortec HP1 and HP2 marine engines produce 375 horsepower and 420 horsepower, respectively. The Vortec 8100 offered in both the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra produces 340 horsepower.

"This latest increase in power reflects a 40-year trend of continuous development and improvement, and hints at what’s to come from GM," said Rick Dunagan, GM Powertrain executive director of OEM sales and marketing.

Developed from the Vortec 8100 V8 truck engine, the 8.1-liter Vortec HP3 combines the reliability, durability and quality of a proven production powerplant with the performance characteristics of an offshore racing engine. In fact, the engine is currently being tested in the American Power Boat Association (APBA) Offshore Racing Series.

In 2002 APBA racing events, Vortec HP3-powered boats captured first and second place finishes in the APBA race in April in Daytona Beach, Fla. Three weeks later, in the second APBA race in Marathon, Fla., Vortec HP3-powered boats went on to capture a first, and two second place finishes. In the third and most demanding APBA race to date, held June 7-9 on stormy Atlantic seas off Cape Cod, Mass., Vortec HP3-powered boats took two first and two second place finishes.

GM Powertrain engineers call the Vortec HP3 a breakthrough because it is versatile enough to dominate the racecourse on Sunday, and still go cruising during the rest of the week.

"It’s mild mannered and behaves when you want it to, but light the wick, and make sure it’s pointed where you want to go," said Dunagan.

Based on the largest light truck cylinder block in the GM Powertrain lineup, the Vortec HP3 provides checkered flag performance in a factory design. The Vortec HP3 represents the next step in big-block power, responding to growing market demand for increased performance.

Progression of Performance Development

Year
Displacement
Horsepower

8.2 Liters

1999 / 2000
8.2 Liters

2001 / 2002
8.1 Liters

8.1 Liters
525+

Performance features specific to the Vortec HP3 include a virtually seamless, precision-matched intake manifold and cylinder head ports for optimum flow characteristics, providing improved power and torque, particularly where boaters need it for hole shots and acceleration maneuvers.

The fuel delivery system includes a 75-millimeter marine throttle body unit with an HP3-specific 400 kpa fuel rail, providing a pressure increase of more than 30 percent over the standard Vortec 8100 production engine. Computer ignition and fuel management parameters are calibrated to provide the best possible performance characteristics across the entire powerband.

The Vortec HP3’s valvetrain is performance matched throughout, with a high-lift and high-duration camshaft; premium race-style valve springs; 1.7:1 ratio roller rocker arms; dedicated rocker arm studs; and HP3-specific intake and exhaust push rod. Performance is also enhanced with a dedicated HP3-tuned harmonic balancer, and individual ignition coils for each of its eight platinum-tipped spark plugs.

" We’ve incorporated all the strengths of the Vortec 8100 truck engine into the Vortec HP3 marine engine, including the emissions and fuel economy improvements we’ve made over the years," said Terry Andrzejewski, GM Powertrain Vortec HP3 8100 development engineer. "Then we went back and pushed those strengths to an even greater level.

"What’s impressive is that the HP3’s performance comes from a naturally aspirated design based on a stock truck engine block. So it offers the performance of a marine racing engine with durability of a recreational marine engine, attributes that are unparalleled in today’s market."

The Vortec HP3’s performance and durability is derived from an impressive list of features.

Key features include:

Specific machined steel camshaft and crankshaft timing sprockets
Five bearing crankshaft with four-bolt, cast iron bearing caps
High volume oil pump with weld-reinforced shroud, pickup tube and screen assembly
Double roller timing chain
Coated cast aluminum, 8-quart oil pan with full baffle
Port and starboard 12mm drain plugs
Sintered, powdered metal exhaust valve seat inserts
Crankcase ventilation integral to intake manifold (requires no PCV valve)
The new Vortec HP3 engine also will be available with a remote oil cooling system with all connections and system wiring, a dedicated marine fuel system, as well as a specific performance marine alternator, starter, flame arrestor and 142-degree Fahrenheit thermostat.

Even though it is built to deliver thoroughbred performance, the Vortec HP3, with its 9.1:1 compression ratio, is designed to run on regular unleaded fuel available at marina gas docks.

GM Powertrain has tasked Innovation Marine in Sarasota, Fla., to add the performance enhancements to the Vortec HP3. Because of the HP3’s race boat and recreation boat dual personality, GM Powertrain expects to see considerable demand for this performance marine engine once production begins.

"The new Vortec HP3 will be available to our existing OEM marine engine distributors," said Dunagan. "From the start, the focus with the Vortec HP3 has been to meet market demand for more power from the factory. The Vortec HP3 clearly achieves that objective while increasing product value for our customers."

GM Powertrain engineers also pointed out the synergistic benefits of developing both automotive and marine engines. Information gained from automotive engine development is applied to marine engine development. In turn, information gained from marine engine development, where conditions are much more severe, is driven back to automotive engine development for improved product quality. The new Vortec HP3 was built on the strengths of the Vortec 8100 truck engine. Design improvements realized from the development of the Vortec HP3 marine engine will be used to further improve the quality and performance of the Vortec 8100 truck engine.

GM Powertrain is a global producer of engines, transmissions, castings and components for GM vehicles and other automotive, marine, and industrial OEMs. Headquartered in Pontiac, GM Powertrain has operating and coordinating responsibility for General Motors powertrain manufacturing plants and engineering centers in North America, South America, Europe, and the Asia-Pacific region.

2003 Vortec HP3 8100 V8

HIGH PERFORMANCE MARINE ENGINE

Product Specifications

Type: 8.1L V8
Displacement: 496 cid (8128 cc)
Compression Ratio: 9.1:1
Valve Configuration: Pushrod Actuated, Canted Overhead Valves (2 per cyl)
Manufactured: Tonawanda, New York
Marine Applications: Innovation Marine Engine Company (Sarasota, Fla.)
Valve Lifters: Hydraulic Roller
Bore & Stroke: 4.25 x 4.37 in (107.95 x 111.00 mm)
Firing Order: 1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3
Crankshaft Main Bearings: 5
Main Bearing Caps: 4-Bolt
Engine Rotation: Clockwise (Facing Front)
Balance Method: Internal
Oil Pan Capacity: Level - 8 qt (Inclined – 7 qt)
Oil Type: Mobil One 15W-50 Synthetic
Emissions Controls: Internal PVC Orifice System
Intake Manifold: Factory PFI (Equal Length Runner), Port Matched to Head
Fuel System: Port Fuel Injection
Fuel Type: Gasoline (Unleaded)
Spark Plugs: Platinum Tipped (1.5-mm gap)
Paint Protection: Component Painted
Shipping Weight: TBD
Horsepower: 525+ @ 5200 rpm
Torque: 560+ @ 4000 rpm
Horsepower and torque numbers are based on GM dynamometer testing of the factory- installed PFI intake manifold.
Actual power levels may vary depending on OEM calibration and application.

Materials:

Block: Cast Iron
Cylinder Head: Cast Iron (with exhaust valve seat inserts)
Intake Manifold: One-Piece Coated Cast Aluminum
Main Bearing Caps: Cast Nodular Iron
Crankshaft: Cast Nodular Iron
Camshaft: Steel
Connecting Rods: Forged Steel 1141 SAE (shot-peened and magnafluxed, with 9-mm diameter connecting rod bolts)
Pistons: Hypereutectic Cast Aluminum
Information may vary with application. All specifications listed are based on the latest product information available at the time of publication.

MAXCAT
06-20-2002, 12:30 PM
The GM Marine HP3 Engine is different from the HP525 that Merc makes. This engine will be GM's official entry into the higher performance market. The HP3 is based on the new 8.1L 496 ci. marine engine.