PDA

View Full Version : Bertram Baron Taboo Talk?

RH
05-29-2002, 06:20 PM
Sorry if I am out of bounds, but I was gong thorugh some archives this afternoon and found a copyof an ad for the new Bertram Baron 20' Sport Runabout. Looks to be styled after GT 21, butnot as sharp in my opinion. Power was a 160hp Mercruiser, but still a sharp boat none the less. Out of curiosity's sake, does anyone own one of these or are they ultra rare.
RH

MOP
05-29-2002, 07:54 PM
Hi there is one in a guys yard in Greenport NY looks as if he is taking real nice care of it. I go by it every so often and think about trying to buy for those mean afternoons we get down here.

RH
05-29-2002, 08:44 PM
Since you have mastered the art of putting in a photo on the page, can you get a picture of it? I think that they are kind of neat looking. I would be interested to know if Dick Bertram and Don were friends or fierce competitors. Anyone out there know?
RH

BIG BAD DONZI
05-29-2002, 10:58 PM
Fierce competitors early on; Thereafter,
Good friends for their entire lives.

ToonaFish
05-29-2002, 11:25 PM
There is something just wrong about Big Bad Donzi's status as a "junior" member... :rolleyes:

Bunches,

Celene 'really junior'

Formula Jr
05-29-2002, 11:39 PM
Big Bad. Your book doesn't go into great detail about the earily days at the Miami Yacht Club. What was that like, meeting Mr. Bertram and such, right after the 1960 season? How did it come about that Don decided he was going to out do what Bertram was doing. Did he ever, over a family dinner, say something like "I'm going to beat that SOB at his own game?" The more I read of the history, its clear, your Dad formed a MISSION in his mind. And was not going to let anything stand between that, spare no expense. In a way, I think that is the inspiration we all come away with: That with clear vision, we can surpass the people we admire.

Toona, everyone knows that each of his posts counts for 1000 regular posts.
Same as "Chubby Brown." :D

falcon
05-30-2002, 08:12 AM
I believe baron was offered with a larger motor--there was a 20 foot moppie offered with a straight 6 mercrusier that had 165 hp---the baron was the more performance oriented model and was offered with a v-8

ALLAN BROWN
05-30-2002, 08:28 AM
The Barons, 20' and 28', were done in the era of Peter Rittmaster, Bertram Prez (and my navigator in the 1966 Around Long Island Race) and Sammy James. We called Rittmaster "Baron Von Rittmaster", and he wanted in the sportboat business in the worst way. They never made much of a dent in the business, as their dealers were not sport oriented. Pretty decent boats though. Russ Specht engineered them, and he is smarter than the average bear.

seano
05-30-2002, 08:46 AM
Hey Brownie...I once saw a pic 30-36 foot Bertram sport boat...looked real nice...do you recall them making one in the 80's? I wish i still had that picture!

ALLAN BROWN
05-30-2002, 09:34 AM
In the middle 70's, the made a 31' raceboat which was sold in small numbers as a sport boat. It was supposed to rule the racing world, but they hadn't figured on you-know-who, who beat the crap out them at EVERY race. 12 Bertrams, 1 Cigarette. Even match.

seano
05-30-2002, 09:40 AM
Thanks Brownie!

GEOO
05-31-2002, 05:49 AM
RH,
I've owned two 20' Bertrams; a Moppie and a Bahia Mar both were repowered with Alphas and 4 cyl. A guy in town just sold his Baron. I believe his boat was the old race boat in this area called Hot Shot. The 20' Moppie, Bahia Mar and Baron all have the same hull, great rideing boats. I loved mine.. The Barons were made in several sizes. 20, 28, ??? Most 20' came with 6 cyl. Hot Shot had a built 454 with a TRS. (70 mph +-). If you are interested I have alot of pictures and some write up on some Bertrams. GEOO

RH
05-31-2002, 08:57 AM
Geo, I would love to learn about the history and see pictures of the the Bertrams. I love the Donzi's, but in my spare time in college when I got sick of studying years ago, I would go up to the boaund periodical section and look through the 60's boating magazines. Amazing what I learned! I grew up with a Donzi on our lake and the rest is history. I just find it enjoyable to learn about the men who raced and built them back in the 60's and 70's. Bertram, Cig, Formula and of course Donzi! Thanks Geo!

Sagbay32
05-31-2002, 11:38 PM
RH,
I second what you said! Let's hear some more stories of the Boat Building Legends.

MOP
06-02-2002, 10:46 AM
Hey Soundings page 49 JULY issue picture of Baron and Moppie :D

BIG BAD DONZI
06-02-2002, 12:51 PM
Formula Jr., Don was never on a "spare no expense mission". On the contrary, cost was always a factor. However, winning was a priority. It was the competition that Don thirved on. Don recognized from the beginning that Dick Bertam and Ray Hunt were miles ahead of the pack and following their lead he became determined to lead them all. He never sat and attempted to devise a plan to beat the other guy. He simply wanted to compete against the best , beat the best and become the best. That was his only plan and it consumed him. He took great pleasure in defeating the internationlal "big boys" with his relatively inexpensive 188th Street creations. He loved winning the 67 World Championship with $8,000 Magnum 27s and loved competing against Merrick Lewis' turbine powered Jim Wynnne designed aluminum Maritimes. While the racing community, at he time, (I think 65) was in an uproar about having to race against turbine powered boats, I remember Don saying something like - we will compete against anyone, anytime. However unitl the turbine becomes affordable to all racers they should be put on hold or run in their own class. (I have that article somewhere)
Simply speaking, the commercial success of Don's powerboating ventures were really by- products of his desire to have offshore racers that could take the roughest seas at the highest speeds without inflicting serious bodily injury to the crew. Each of his raceboats over the years were merely little improvements on the previous. He hit gold with the Cig 36 and 35.
As for Dick Bertram, Don always had the deepest and highest respect for him as a person and as a competitor. Dick was a special person. He was a Cary Grant type with a nautical backgroud. A true gentleman and the ultimate sportsman. Had a moviestar quality about him.
Gotta run, hope this sheds some light

ALLAN BROWN
06-03-2002, 07:46 AM
Well said, BBD

RH
06-03-2002, 10:28 AM
Big Bad, Brownie, Thanks for all of the insights. This really is intriguing to learn about the historical perspectives of the behind the scenes thoughts, personalities and lore! I think that there is another book in there somewhere!