PDA

View Full Version : 502 Mag Impellor change, good info.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
07-23-2002, 08:15 PM
Lessons learned:
115.7 hours on original impellor, slow to take water on the hose: Manual says once per season, Merc guy says every 50 to 75 hours if you boat in shallow sandy areas... GOOD to know...
HOW do you define season? We will be at 200 hours very soon at this rate.
Our impellor had chunks missing, holes, and a badly worn case.
-The impellor from Merc, $22.80, but I should listen to what I read.... The housing was grooved up bad, do both if needed, so guess what, an impellor from Merc on the bag says non-returnable. No biggie, we need a spare.
-New housing kit comes with an impellor AND the O- Ring seal, which you need, and new bolts for the housing AND the bracket, $82.50.
-Install was easy, rotation for the impellor is marked on the back of the housing (clockwise as you look at it). WD40 made the new impellor slide in the new housing easy.
-After initial test run, retighten hose clamps.

Just FYI, the 1986 and 1987 Gen VI motors have different serials and they are different. Found my parts initally at www.mercruiserparts.com (http://www.mercruiserparts.com) called my dealer, part numbers were perfect for the impellor, BUT on the housing kit the last 3 digits, a letter and two numbers were different, even though from Merc. This may be because we are the last of the Gen VI motors, we are an OM serial # drive and motor, the above site covers OL and later from 1999 for 502MPI.

So, total time, one hour and a gallon of ice tea and about $100....
She picks up water like the day I bought her....
I sure hope someone can use this data, next time I plan to take a series of pic's to share any other non-wrench turning guys like myself.
Bryan