PDA

View Full Version : New Boater & 1999 22ZX with LOTS of Questions

DJ13
08-27-2003, 03:39 PM
http://donzi.net/photos/acf85f.jpg

It's gonna take any veteran on this board about 1/2 a second to recognize I'm new to Donzi and boat ownership. I'm thinking this is my best resource for problem solving on my boat and trailer. I could post 10 different topics seeking answers for small problems I'd like to solve but I don't want to over do it. Anyone good with electrical? I've got a list of issues!
How about battling trailer corrosion? I can (and eventually will) go on and on. Thanks for taking any time you might have to respond!

Scubado
08-27-2003, 04:54 PM
Hey, another Yellow 22ZX in Washington State! What are the odds? I have a 2000 22ZX over in Spokane.

What kind of electrical issues are you having? The best thing for limiting trailer corrosion, that I know of, is petroleum jelly and a good flushing. Let me know if you ever get to the sunny side of the state...

PS. You might downsize your avatar, to make it easier for everyone to read your posts...

DJ13
08-27-2003, 05:19 PM
I deleted my avatar and just added it to the post instead. Much better! Yellow 22ZX huh? Nice. I'm taking her to Chelan next week (9/4-9/10).

Electrical woes:

Corsa Quick & quiet switch: Does nothing. Former owner claims no problems.

Blower: blows it's 10amp fuse whenever you attempt to use it.

Horn: doesn't work. Pulled the horn out and it's got some corrosion around the horn part but nothing on the connections.

If you read my Audible Alarm Mystery post you'll find my most irritating electrical problem.

Thanks for taking the time!

Dave

BUIZILLA
08-27-2003, 05:42 PM
That boat in the picture has FL numbers??

I thought Washington was WA?

J

resident eagle eye

Scubado
08-27-2003, 05:58 PM
Sounds like you have a lot of electrical problems that could all be traced back to corrosion on the fuse block... or not.

Are you fairly handy with a volt meter? I always try to trace the the circuit out. Make sure you have a good ground. Try to make the horn/blower/and quick and quiet work by bypassing any switches. Use a jumpers with good 12v supply and a good ground source. This will tell you if the problem is with the horn/blower/quick & quiet or in the circuit.

Shouldn't be too big of a deal to figure it out if you are patient. Let me know if I can help. Maybe I'll meet you in Chelan. Had a great time there at our Donzi meet this spring.

Call if you like,
Jeff
509-994-3173

Scubado
08-27-2003, 06:07 PM
What motor and drive does your boat have?

DJ13
08-27-2003, 06:19 PM
It's got a 454mpi, bravo-1 24p. The Florida tags are on it because I bought it from a member of this board who lives in Miami. I had it trucked up from Florida a couple weeks ago. It'll have WA tags shortly, just having them made.

I don't really know anything about voltmeters but I guess I'll be diving into that soon, huh? :)

I think I'll be working through the kinks for a while, but I have no race against time going or anything. I'm going to try and nail the problems down, one by one.

DJ13
08-27-2003, 06:23 PM
Hey is your Donzi meet in the spring part of a NW club? It doesn't seem like many WA owners are talking about that sort of thing. It would be a great excuse to go to Chelan if that's an annual thing!

DJ13
08-27-2003, 06:28 PM
BTW Buizilla, for some weird reason, WA tags are WN vs. WA. Maybe West Virginia got WA? You definitely are the eagle eye!

Scubado
08-27-2003, 06:54 PM
Go to Radio Shack or an auto parts store and get a $10.00 volt meter. It's something every boat owner should have and know how to use. They are fairly easy to figure out.

Do a search on lake Chelan. There are some posts with pictures and stuff. It seems like there is a get toghther on lake Washington on Labor day, but I havn't read anything about it latley.

Shanghied Again
08-27-2003, 07:09 PM
Under your dash if you open the door you will see a fuse box, Get some electrical spray cleaner pull out all your fuses and spray all conections, Replace the fuses if green, Tighten down all the screws on the panel,
I had the same problem with mine,

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
08-27-2003, 07:34 PM
I had a 99 22ZX, the blower problem was a regular issue, replaced the blower, no problems after that. I guess it just went bad.

I knew the photo was a members boat, nice , congrats and best of luck with her.
Bryan

DJ13
08-28-2003, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the tips! I appreciate it. Have any of you taken a look at my post about the Audible Alarm Mystery? I've only had a couple hits on that one, but it is by far the most troublesome problem I'm dealing with.

Barry Phillips
08-29-2003, 08:09 AM
Great looking ZX , again electrical problems can be a pain in the ####. I think they are due to salt-water use and maybe a lack of maintenance on the part of the previous owner. A meter is a good idea; you need to trace the circuit from the fuse panel to the offending part. The Quick and Quiet is most likely the most complicated, I would check it at the transom, have someone in the boat switch it on and off and stand behind the transom. On my 22 Classic there seems to be little difference in sound between on and off with the Corsa Q&Q from the cockpit, so stand behind the boat. Your ZX has a swim platform and that could decrease the sound level. Check all you fuses and clean the fuse box with an electrical cleaner such as CRC, make sure the battery switch is off, and allow to dry. It goes for all part connections and relays. I like to coat exposed terminals with an electrical rated grease. Do all this before buying expensive parts like blowers and such. I have not had any electrical problems with my boats, but I used to install high-end automotive audio and alarm systems so if your not dealing with computers electrical issues are fairly simple, the parts are completing a circuit, and it’s a mater of finding wire.

SO-SLO

Barry Phillips
08-29-2003, 08:13 AM
Great looking ZX , again electrical problems can be a pain in the ####. I think they are due to salt-water use and maybe a lack of maintenance on the part of the previous owner. A meter is a good idea; you need to trace the circuit from the fuse panel to the offending part. The Quick and Quiet is most likely the most complicated, I would check it at the transom, have someone in the boat switch it on and off and stand behind the transom. On my 22 Classic there seems to be little difference in sound between on and off with the Corsa Q&Q from the cockpit, so stand behind the boat. Your ZX has a swim platform and that could decrease the sound level. Check all you fuses and clean the fuse box with an electrical cleaner such as CRC, make sure the battery switch is off, and allow to dry. It goes for all part connections and relays. I like to coat exposed terminals with an electrical rated grease. Do all this before buying expensive parts like blowers and such. I have not had any electrical problems with my boats, but I used to install high-end automotive audio and alarm systems so if your not dealing with computers electrical issues are fairly simple, the parts are completing a circuit, and it’s a mater of finding where the circuit is broken. It’s rarely a break in a wire. Sorry about the typo.

SO-SLO