PDA

View Full Version : Canadian (Ontario) Donzi Owners - I need your feedback

Rich Maas
06-10-2003, 02:50 PM
Any of you guys heard about the new muffler by-laws in Georgian Bay/Muskoka? My '87 -18' has thru hull with no mufflers whatsoever. I'm not all that interested in paying the hefty $2,000 fines that they are talking about if I get caught without any noise abatement system. Thoughts? Comments? Anyone out there in a similar situation?

Ed Donnelly
06-10-2003, 08:35 PM
I do work for the Metropolitan Toronto Marine Police. They told me they are going after non mufflered boats this year.BUT no citations,too much of a hassle with decibal readings and where they should be taken from. So instead, they are looking for all other infractions to write up.Just slip on a set of shotguns, they will do the trick...Ed Toronto

Ross
06-10-2003, 09:04 PM
For the actual wording of the regulation you can check out www.ccg-gcc.gc.ca. (http://www.ccg-gcc.gc.ca.) I suspect the OPP will be somewhat lax on enforcement unless they get pressure from local cottagers; which in some cases I know they will. Believe it or not there are some people who do not appreciate the sweet sound of straight exhaust ??? When I hear people complaining of the noise, I wish I still had the 28SS c/w dry Gil exhaust that I could start up and just let idle; just for alittle while !! Oh well, I guess I will just have to get used to the sound of silience--- or is that 5000 PWC's constantly going whining by ??

Tim Morris
06-11-2003, 08:50 AM
Up on Georgian Bay, depending where, you likely have experienced no problems so far. Ditto the Muskoka lakes if you don't dally in the confined areas. I'm on Lake Couchiching which is about 1 1/2 miles wide - my '87 Minx can be heard on both shores going down the channel. I added 'Silent Choice' back in '89, thinking I may have a problem some day. Looks like that day may be coming now.

Rich Maas
06-11-2003, 11:50 AM
Thanks guys. I'm not really too keen on installing silent choice to the tune of about $5K. Ed, what are shotguns (As a Donzi owner, I should probably know this) and how much do you think they would cost to install?

I don't know about you guys, but I think the new law is a tad bit draconian and that it came to be in such a short period of time. If it applies to me then I think it should apply to all and not exempt the equally loud "woodies" in Muskoka (like that would ever happen). Ross, you hit the nail on the head. I find the PWC's far more annoying doing donuts around my dock than a semi-loud boat passing by. I think the real problem is that the cottagers are tired of Lindros et al. boating home at 3:00am after a night of partying and waking everybody up. As a result, the rest of us (the responsible and courtious) now have to deal with this.

Whew - just venting there. That felt good!

Rich

Walt. H.
06-11-2003, 12:14 PM
If that's the case, then how about a 10:pm to 6:am only curfew on open exh? Not 24/7

(Law maker's) love to pass laws with just the stroke of a pen. :mad:

Just my $.02 opinion, :D

Walt....

Ed Donnelly
06-12-2003, 06:54 PM
I just got an official reply back from the Federal Government in regards to mufflers. I don't know how to post the E-mail, so I will just forward it to all that have replied to this post. Rich Maas I will E-mail you all info on the Shotguns,5 minute installation.As I read it if the boat didn't come with mufflers you are Grandfathered,or just tell the cop you are preping the boat for your upcomming race,that will cover you too ...Ed

Danny
06-12-2003, 07:34 PM
Ed
Would you please forward a copy of that email to me as well
Thanks Danny

Extreme Measures
06-12-2003, 09:34 PM
Ed Could you please send me a copy also? Thanks in advance. :)
Extreme Measures

AL Donzi18
06-16-2003, 06:07 PM
Hi Rich.
I've got the same problem.
Same boat,size and year.
Let me know what you decide to do.
Perhaps you could forward the email about the shotguns.
Thanks.
AL

TRU-JACK
06-19-2003, 06:53 AM
Tim, is your Minx red? I have a white with black strip 16 on Couchiching and live just south of Ojibway Marina and often drop in for a few at Big Chief. Drop by and say hi if you see me there, I'm interested in checking out your boat. I installed silent choice last year, and I agree the timing is right. take care. Jeff

boxy
06-19-2003, 07:45 AM
Jeff, you may want to check Ed's emailed response from the Government. I'm pretty sure it's either Ontario, or New York State, (we get all kinds of attention in the 1000 Islands) that doesn't recognize an " operator switchable" type of muffler system as an acceptable type of noise abatement system.

Tim Morris
06-20-2003, 11:19 AM
Hey Jeff! Yes, boat is red sides & stripe with white bottom & deck. I was down your way last Sunday for a short tour, although I didn't stop at Big Chief. If I see you there this weekend, I'll stop by now that I know what your boat looks like.