PDA

View Full Version : Ford headers- lets call some companies!!

Moody Blu'
08-27-2003, 08:30 AM
I am fed up with my log style headers, especially knowing that there is 20-30HP hiding in my motor because of my "log" (should call them rob)style headers.

Isnt there something we could do to get one of these manufacturers to build a set of stainless bassett style headers for ford small blocks like the 289,302,351w.

I know big griz says that cmi makes a set for the 351w but they cost $5000!!!!!!!! :mad: Come on now!!

there has got to be someone on the board that knows someone in one of these companies that could design a set of basset style headers or hell even copy someones design(like donzi's hulls) and sell them for around, oh say $1,000.

Anyone think they could get the ball rolling on something like this? wink

mattyboy
08-27-2003, 09:39 AM
sorry Moody,
but it ain't gonna happen, the ramp-up and tooling cost are too much for an item that is not in high demand,you would need to say have a couple of hundred of orders on hand before any reasonable business person would even think of trying it.want all the neat gizmo's repower to a chevy! moody it is what it is,and if someone could have made money at it , it would have been done already! wink

Matty

Rootsy
08-27-2003, 10:11 AM
yep what matty said, especially for water jacketed tubular headers...

now i could see maybe some sand cast manifolds if someone with the know-how and funding saw a small niche market, but the logs are there... the demand for sbf performance manifolds is small... therefore you need to make your margin large to cover your investment and get some kinda return. so... the price gets BIG.

just not enough business... other than older boats with older power packages you do not see ford motors offered by the large motor suppliers like merc... OMC is defunct and i donno if the volvo stuff is any better or if they are even using FORDS...

maybe this is because ford is not interested in the marine market? maybe GM offers stuff cheaper to say Merc than ford would... maybe it is easier to get the same HP out of the GM motors... many variables...

heck you might try and find some late model OMC manifolds for a sbf... kinda along the lines of the merc center risers for the sbc.

springs
08-27-2003, 10:25 AM
If this were to ever pan out between Ford and Yamaha there would probably be many more performance options for Ford marine engines. But probably nothing for the old marine engines we have.

http://www.boatbiz.com/News.asp?mode=4&N_ID=23230

Tony
08-27-2003, 02:11 PM
Kodiak. At least that is what Forrest said.

Greg
08-27-2003, 02:37 PM
I thought there was a company (Stainless Marine?) that made an adapter for the ford heads so you could bolt up a set of chevy manifolds to them. But then again, maybe I dreamed it.

smoothie
08-27-2003, 03:54 PM
these must be what forrest is referring to
http://www.cpperformance.com/detail.asp?product_id=430-53-2009
Hmmm I bet a fella and a milling machine could make an adapter. wink

harbormaster
08-27-2003, 05:49 PM
Oh Brad Lyons!!! Need a special project? :D

Moody Blu'
08-27-2003, 06:44 PM
well, thanks for the negative input, I know , I know, its inevitable with the marine fords. :o

when I meant getting one of these companies to do it I meant maybe one of these companies has a soft spot for ford? :( May be a long shot but, if I didnt post this nothing would be stirred up.

there has got to be someone out there that can make them turn a REASONABLE profit and make a bunch of extreme donzites happy. I know there are alot more H/M 351 donzis on this site now then there use to be when i joined, so maybe we can all join together and figure something out.

THERE HAS TO BE A WAY!

On another note, I talked to the guy that sells the manifolds in that link for the SBF and they do produce more torque and HP then the log or regular manifolds, he didnt think there was that much gain, I would GUESS 10-17HP. (thats half of what the basset style would make)

Also, if ford does this thing with yamaha, I think chevy may have to move on over, that 5.4 liter with 500HP and a whopping 500ft/ibs is just what the boats need.... wink

so let stir this thread up, make some calls perhaps? see if someone could get a buddy or company to do a small run for a reasonable price.
OBviously we would have to stick to our guns when the time came to cough up the money, but i think it would be worth it.

To the guys that said swap out the ford for chevy power :) That is one of the reasons our donzis are rare, I'd like to keep it that way wink

so the struggle continues... biggrin.

mphatc
08-27-2003, 07:15 PM
Use the set from CP Performance, extrude hone them and port match everything . . . wash out coolant channels with a rust preservative after every salt water use.

MPHATC

Cuda
08-27-2003, 07:27 PM
Moody Blu':

Also, if ford does this thing with yamaha, I think chevy may have to move on over, that 5.4 liter with 500HP and a whopping 500ft/ibs is just what the boats need...

To the guys that said swap out the ford for chevy power :) That is one of the reasons our donzis are rare, I'd like to keep it that way wink
Heck, if you'd consider the Ford/Yammi swap, you'd be much better off doing the Chevy now. Either way, it isn't original.

penbroke
08-27-2003, 08:18 PM
smoothie:

Hmmm I bet a fella and a milling machine could make an adapter. wink Hmmm... I wonder where such a fella might be found?? wink wink

Frank

pokster
08-27-2003, 11:36 PM
They are just headers, your looking the wrong direction. Big business will never touch anything that they can't put in CNC machine and made a 1000 of them. You need to go to CA, and find a hotroder that will like a challenge. It will that some time, but you'll have the only set, and the claim of hand made water cooled headers. Its just a different way to do it. "Old School" If you want it, and no one sells it, make your own. Of course I'm from Wiconsin, working on something for my boat that takes 4 months isn't a big deal. (snow/ice)

JimG
08-28-2003, 06:31 AM
Moody Blu,

The Bassets would net you 20-36 hp? With no other changes? What would that equate to in MPH?

:) If you really wanted original, there's a set of H-M manifolds and risers on eBay. If I wasn't so tickled with my Edelbrock M15's, I'd do 'em. I love the look of them logs amd snails! :D

JimG

MOP
08-28-2003, 08:50 AM
Aluminum manifolds in salt are not as big a problem as many would think. From my experiance they last as long if not longer than cast iron offer a decent weight reduction and a major plus they do not flake off chunks like cast iron which end up plugging the risers. Also if a zinc is added to the water track it reduces the break down. Think about how long your aluminum out drive lasts.

MOP
08-28-2003, 08:57 AM
Could not resist send mail to CP Performance to see if they would discount the price to members of the board if we got together and gave a fair sized order. Anyone interested mail me I will keep a list to forward to them. I for one am interested.

Forrest
08-28-2003, 10:30 AM
Kodiaks are the way to go for a small-block Ford. Stainless-steel risers are available for Kodiaks as well. Alternately, you can buy the manifolds and then have Stainless Marine build you a custom riser/tailpipe. I'm running Kodiaks on my 302 Ford in my 16 Donzi and I and completely satisfied with them. Don't expect a 30 HP increase with any exhaust short of a custom built set of CMI tube headers, and that 30 HP would be at 6500 RPM. Like most mild performance marine engines, your engine is probably not set up to be a high rev-er. Be happy with a 10hp increase at 5000 RPM and 150 lb weight reduction over iron logs. I don't know it your logs are aluminum or iron, but aluminum logs weigh about the same as any other aluminum exhaust. Weight reduction will make the biggest difference in your 18. Also remember too, a good exhaust will allow you to run a little more cam duration if you want.

BillG
08-28-2003, 02:46 PM
Forrest,
Who handles Kodiak manifolds?

Bill G

Cuda
08-28-2003, 04:18 PM
Dennis Moore is marketing some interesting exhaust manifolds at a great price, sorry, no SBF.
http://www.mooreperformance.org/

Forrest
08-28-2003, 04:42 PM
I believe the link that Smoothie posted to CP Performance points to the Kodiak SBF aluminum manifold and riser.

http://www.cpperformance.com/detail.asp?product_id=430-53-2009

Check with them before you order to make sure. I know that Kodiak produced the with and without the Kodiak logo cast in to the side of the manifold. The manifold and riser in the picture looks a little different than the Kodiak manifolds and risers that I'm running; however, they do note that a stainless riser is available. Their picture may be incorrect. That picture actually looks more like an Aquapower BBC manifold and riser now that I looked more closely.

Also, I know that Rex Marine (http://www.rexmar.com/) at one time sold Kodiak exhaust systems.

MOP
08-28-2003, 04:42 PM
Is Kodiak and better or worse than CP performance? What is the cost differential, they both look like a standard center riser setup which will no doubt improve performance over the logs. Would be nice to know the grade of aluminum and weight comparison. Good grade and a little heavier is the way I would go. CP run $890 what is the cost on the Kodiak's.

Moody Blu'
08-28-2003, 07:50 PM
yea i believe the manifolds that were linked a couple times are availible with stainless risers and they bring the cost to $1200, do the stainless risers offer any power gain???????

these ----->
http://www.cpperformance.com/images/430/430-53-1.JPG
I still think somoene can make a set of basset style for a decent price. Im sick about hearing about margin this and that...
it does not cost $5000 to build headers :rolleyes:

MOP
08-28-2003, 09:22 PM
Hey for $825 how can you go wrong, I see the CP and the Kodiak are one in the same. Ok lets see if the will give members a break. "Anyone got an address for Kodiak?" I'll try getting a member discount, maybe if we get a few sold they will make sure there are a few sets on hand. Moody I think just going over to a center riser will give you a little extra pep and the weight drop should help. My cast iron center risers are a bear would love to dump them.

MOP
08-29-2003, 07:39 PM
Got a reply from CP marine, on orders of 10 or more they will discount stuff more. How many guys are interested in getting the Kodiaks?

mattyboy
08-29-2003, 09:31 PM
sorry guys don't count me in the boat stays H/M...

Matty

Moody Blu'
08-30-2003, 03:41 PM
M.O.P.:
Got a reply from CP marine, on orders of 10 or more they will discount stuff more. How many guys are interested in getting the Kodiaks? i'd like to know what the discount will be.with the stainless risers.

I think we can bargin with this guy, 10 units sold is a nice chunk of profit, I bet they get the exhausts for around 4-500

anotherScott
08-31-2003, 09:33 AM
About 4 years ago I bought a ford 351 GT-40 crate motor for my 18'. I also bought a pair of kodiak center rise aluminum manifolds, and went with the stainless water jacketed elbos. The weight is much lower, the horsepower I can't really compare because I went from a pretty stock 302 to the beefy 351 (what a difference!). Took out the 3" tail pipes and added slightly longer 4" stainless pipes with flappers. Now that took it from Barry Manilow to Van Halen. No mufflers on it yet, but the laws are sure to change soon:( I paid $500 for the pair of manifolds and also $500 for the set of elbos 4-5 years ago. I run in salt water full time.