PDA

View Full Version : X-Dimension question for Blackhawk owners...

oldLenny
06-10-2003, 12:56 AM
In looking at my templates for Alphas/Bravo's and Blackhawks I noticed that the "stock" X on an 18 is at 14 1/16" for the 12 degree transom measured actually through the angle against the transom. The same procedure holds true for the Blackhawk but the number is 17".

With this 2 15/16" difference in vertical "X" (crankshaft centerline), is it just the fact that the motor is higher, thus C of G, and the driveline (crankshaft centerline) or is the drive different in its' location as to its' placement of the centerline of the input shaft in relation to a Bravo or Alpha?

Do Blackhawk boats have their motors sitting approx 3" higher than any other boat in the line-up?

If it is the same, (relationship) then wouldn't a 1" raised "X" dimension and a 2" IMCO shortie equal the same thing and not have all the "issues" related to owning a Blackhawk and a 2" lower C of G? Would this lower "C of G" help the Blackhawk boat perform better? Handling? $3500 would buy the IMCO complete with gears. Seems like a lot spend that fixing their Blackhawks...

In other words, is it a raised drive/motor and a slippery lower with the Blackhawk and the counter-rotating, or could the same be accomplished with aftermarket and a lower "C of G" Bravo One and props and a 1" raised "X" and add an IMCO 2" shortie?

I realize the counter-rotating thing would be "toast"...

????

Greg Maier
06-10-2003, 05:40 AM
Lenny,

Yes, the engine on the Blackhawk is raised higher than a standard 22. Some parts on my engine actually touch the hatch and have formed indentations on the underside. I hear people say that Donzi did not raise the X-dim high enough for the Blackhawk to run properly. I don't know if this is true or not, but I doubt if Donzi wanted to put a bubble hatch on the Blackhawk, so they put the X-dim as close to ideal as possible without changing the exterior of the boat. From what I have heard, the Blackhawk Drive is 8 inches shorter than a Bravo. Send me the length of a Bravo, and I can do some measuring. The centerline of my props is about three inches above my keel pad. I can go take some detailed pictures tonight if you would like to take a look.

Rootsy
06-10-2003, 07:19 AM
C/L of driveshaft to C/L of propshaft should be bout 22 inches...

so lenny what you are asking is... can someone do some trig for ya?

Forrest
06-10-2003, 08:18 AM
Root, would 22" be correct on a Blackhawk drive as well? I would think that I would be about 14" or 15". 22" is about standard for most conventional drives that turn a 15" prop. The DPX drives that I just picked up are 22" crankshaft to propshaft, but the Volvo 280s that they are going to replace are almost 24".

Rootsy
06-10-2003, 10:24 AM
Forrest,

Sorry i should have clarified a bit more, i was in a hurry this morning. The Alpha GEN II (personally measured) is 22 inches C/L to C/L. the Bravo is the same length C/L to C/L as the Gen II. i do also believe that the Gen I alpha is the same distance. I have NO CLUE about the blackhawk.

The Alpha SS measures 19 inches. At least the one hanging on my 16 anyway.

oldLenny
06-10-2003, 06:52 PM
I am curious, Jamie, as to the actual Blackhawk measurements, c/l to c/l. I realize the drive is in theory a minimum of 3" higher on the X-dim compared to an Alpha or Bravo, but I was wondering what the actual "total" amount the drive is raised out of the water on a stock 22 Blackhawk compared to say a "stock Bravo 22".... I know the hulls are changed to look after some of the ride issues. Where is the crankshaft centerline on a B/H in relation to the transom and what is the C/L to C/L of the drive?

There, a bit clearer...I think

Greg Maier
06-10-2003, 07:27 PM
Lenny,

I can get you some measurements by tomorrow evening if you can wait, but I think the B/H is 8 inches shorter han a Bravo with the drive shaft centerline being 3 or 4 inches above the bottom of the transom.

Greg

Greg Maier
06-12-2003, 04:38 PM
I measured today, the B/H drive is 15 1/2 inches C/L to C/L.