PDA

View Full Version : alpha Drive oil

clayman
06-09-2003, 04:02 PM
Hey Guys,
I am changing the oil in my alpha one gen one drive, and the water impeller. My question is, the repair manual says to fill with oil "over 2 ounces my be an indication of a leak" isn't 2 ounces a little on the little side, I put about 3/4 of a quart in, and it still didn't come out the top yet, the rest ended up on the floor. and that is like 18 ounces. IS "2 ounces" a type-o? I couldn't find it listed anywhere else in the book.
Thanks
James

Ranman
06-09-2003, 04:09 PM
I think what they're saying is that if you go to check it and the drive requires more than 2oz to top off, that may be an indication of a leak. Could this be it? The drive surely holds way more than 2oz.

P.S. You're pumping the drive oil in from the bottom hole right?

clayman
06-09-2003, 04:26 PM
yeah, I rigged a hose with a rubber fitting to hold it in the bottom hole on my quart pump. It must mean to quarts, or anything over 2 ounces over the recommended amount or something.
Page 83 clymers merc manual?

Trueser
06-09-2003, 07:46 PM
From the true Merc Drive Manual.
1. raise drive unit to full "out: Position.
2. position drive unit so level.
3. using Lubricant pump, fill drive unit thru fill/drain hole" bottom" until oil is even with bottom edge of vent hole"top"
5. without removing lubricant pump from drain hole, reinstall oil vent plug and sealing washer. torque 17lb.in

*** Recheck a few days later to make sure no air pockets.
*** Alpha one should take 24 Oz of high perf lube.

clayman
06-09-2003, 11:34 PM
thanks

mikev
06-10-2003, 08:53 AM
the drive should be just about all the way down the cavitation plate should be level with the ground. it will hold a little over a quart of mercury high performance drive oil dont use anything else. i just changed mine and had to have 2 bottles but only used about an ounce out of the second one.