PDA

View Full Version : steering question

mikev
08-26-2003, 11:26 AM
I have hydraulic internal power sterring. 88 4.3 with an alpha one. The question is when I am running straight down the lake the stering wheel sits crooked is there any way to ajust it so that the wheel sits straight?

Greg K
08-26-2003, 04:57 PM
Pull your steering wheel off. If you have the six screws holding it onto the hub, sometimes there are twice as many in the hub to relocate the steeering wheel. Worth a look to see if there are other mounting screw holes underneath. Other than getting another hub, I don't know the answer. One more thing, can the hydraulic cylinder be repositioned??

mikev
08-26-2003, 06:57 PM
i pulled the wheel off there are only three holes but i moved it anyway and now it is just as far off just in the opposite direction.

MOP
08-26-2003, 08:01 PM
When you say you have internal hydraulic, is full oil to the helm or Merc power steering. If its Merc you can pull the cable loose from the helm. Turn it till the cable comes out enough to feel the first click as it clears the spool then pull it out just a tiny bit more and rotate the wheel in the disired direction then wind the cable back it back in and secure it. You may have to do it over to get it spot on.

mikev
08-27-2003, 10:40 AM
it is a hydraulic teleflex system that connects to the mercrusier power steering ram in the back.

MOP
08-27-2003, 07:59 PM
Maybe I have missed something but I have never seen a system that hooks to the Merc power steering. The Merc power steering is cable actuated, that cable can be taken loose at the helm and repositioned within the helm to get the wheel straight. Look under your dash for two hydraulic lines or one plastic sheathed cable coming off the helm. Also if hydraulic the helm should have an oil fill just behind the wheel.

mikev
08-28-2003, 11:53 AM
i guess it is a cable then there is just one line and no fill tube i will try tho adjust it like you said and see if i can get it. thanks for all your help. i will let you know what happens.