PDA

View Full Version : Steering Play

TRU-JACK
08-26-2003, 08:37 AM
I have an Alpha and it has about 2-3 inches of play left and right before it moves the wheel. In other words I can move the steering wheel an inch or two before it moves the drive. It's a 1989 with only 300 hours on it. Does anyone have any suggestions of how I could tighten this? thanks a lot. Jeff

MOP
08-26-2003, 08:51 AM
My boat only has a couple of hundred on it, it has about the same play. It is not noticeable when running. But then again I am slow, the only setup that eliminates play is hydraulic steering. Its the only way to go if you want it real tight.

Walt. H.
08-26-2003, 09:44 AM
Hi Jeff,

Things to check on your Alpha drive.

1=power Steering ram and cable end clevis pins for wear from none lubing.

2=Behind the gimble housing swivel on top outside you will see a pinchbolt 3/8 dia bolt (9/16"> wrench size when you have the unit turned to either side. Check to make sure it is tight,[two offset 9/16" box wrenches will do], they always loosen after a while and also cause sloppy steering.It connects the stern drive to the inside tiller handle/arm.But you will never completely
eliminate all the play with this type of original steering. But it will help get rid of some. :)

Walt..

Walt. H.
08-27-2003, 08:33 AM
Tru-Jack,

Have you found any of these items loose?

W.H.

GeneD
08-27-2003, 02:52 PM
Grab your drive and wiggle it back and forth. If it moves, and the steering wheel doesn't, it's in your gimbal ring somewhere. I have never had the luck for it to be loose bolts. It's always been the gimbal ring itself rounding out the steering pin at the top of the ring.
Try to tighten the bolts on either side of the ring from the outside, not too tight, they might break. Then try to tighten the bolt holding the steering clevis from the inside (bilge side) of the assy. If it works, great! If not, you will probably need gimbal ring work - not cheap.

blue-z
08-27-2003, 03:51 PM
I did my gimbal ring myself. I saved a lot of labour and found it to be a reasonable job to do. The parts are expensive though.