PDA

View Full Version : Water in the Gas

Marlin275
06-08-2003, 01:10 PM
Two times in two weeks I have water in the gas.
Good gas station gas in car and boat so that is not the problem.
My boatyard mechanic says that with days of heavy rain, the drip drip of the cover into the cockpit is flooding the bottom of the liner, leaking through the screw off cap and then in the sender fitting and getting into the tank?
The tank is new, replaced two years ago.

I did a search and others with this problem didn't seem to find a real answer? :rolleyes:

Fish boy
06-08-2003, 03:32 PM
Marlin,
THis will sound dumb, but if all else fails, how high is you bow when it site on the trailer? might also check to make sure there is no debris between the stringers preventing proper drainage. Both sound silly but I thought I had a slightly positive angle on my trailer (actually a little bow low even though did not look it) and after a big rain, add some leaves and stuff, I had water over my tank. Needless to say, I ended up with water in my gas.

I replaced almost everything working back from the fule pump trying to figure out what the problem was. The only thing left was to pull the deck and replace the tank. Luckily I happened to check under the deck just after a big rain and found water over my tank. Bulit a stand to keep the trailer higher and have not had a problem since. Good luck

Fish

http://www.donzi.net/photos/jstaples90.jpg

Brian Main
06-08-2003, 04:12 PM
Fish,

Interesting picture! Question - if water can get in, can't fuel get out the same way?

I guess what I'm getting at is, wouldn't you usually see this as a fuel leak around the sender?

Brian.

MOP
06-08-2003, 06:40 PM
I have seen standing water on many tanks, some it gets in some not, cause must be eliminated. Most of the time all you get is a little wiff of gas when the senders are not sealed properly, any odor at all means something is not right. To see if it is leaking fuel you need to top it off really full then tip the boat so the gas is in contact with the sender. Most people do not use the correct sealers. The best available is a product called GasOiler a red goo that will seal very well and last a very long time. I would make a point to find a good gasoline sealer get it loose, clean it well make sure the opening is dry and corrosion free and reseal. If your inspection plate does not seal or is not sealed to the deck fix or replace it and keep the seal well lubed with Vaseline. Question any white mucky stuff in with the water? Tank its self may have a problem.

Fish boy
06-09-2003, 07:30 AM
Brian,
I guess it is possible, however I think the water is in a better position to trickle down into the tank through the sender on the top then the gas is to fight gravity and trikle its way up. I do not beleive there is a large leak, however, with the sender completely surrounded by water, even the screw holes could allow for some trickle.

Marlin275
06-09-2003, 10:08 AM
Fish, M.O.P. - Thanks
Fish that photo says it all!
I didn't think it was real possibility but now
seeing is believing.
I will re-seal the sender and tarp the boat for any more rain.

Thanks again!

Fish boy
06-09-2003, 10:40 AM
Marlin,
after re-reading MOP's post, especially the last part about the white mucky stuff, I had one more thought.

Down here (Fla) there is a place called Longhose that comes out to your boat, pumps all of your gass out, runs it thorugh some MASSIVE filters, and then returns it to the tank. It continues the process until the gas is extremely clean. M ight want to call around for some place like this up in NY.

I had the white mucky stuff when I had my problems. Even if you find the leak, you might want to get your tank pumped just to be on the safe side. Also, if you do not have it already, put a clear filter in the line between the water seperator and the engine. Seeing is beleiving, and I did not beleive I had so much crap in my fuel.