PDA

View Full Version : Hey Buzilla

Cuda
08-25-2003, 03:15 PM
In one of the other threads, you said you didn't think the SS drive was a good match for the Minx. Can you elaborate on that? I thinking SS for mine.

Thanks

BUIZILLA
08-25-2003, 03:35 PM
Cuda, I've only run this thing for about 3 hours so far. I only gained *maybe* 1 mph top end and ZERO gain cruising. Now, mine seems to have different water pickups than some others herein do... :rolleyes: I used my 23+ Mirage from the original Alpha drive in both test instances, same full fuel level, one driver, same weather environment. What I DID notice was a slight distinctive buzzing feeling, kinda like a high pitched vibration throughout the whole hull. It feels like maybe this prop is not the right choice, and what I'm feeling is the water coming off the blade(?) :confused: I really don't know, i'm speculating. I have a 22 small dia. clever, and another reguler 23 Mirage to play with though.. Steering effort is noticably less at speed and inline tracking at idle and full speed is a one finger drive now. BIG difference there. Low speed tracking and feel is a little better also. It doesn't want to oversteer in fast manuevers like before either. Seeing as how the drive is shorter, I have less trim-out distance than before, and I can't seem to get the bow up like I want, before it *comes loose*, even with the Mirage +. Actually, it runs real flat and predictable. I need to figure out this *buzzing feeling* though, maybe it's just the prop design, I have no clue at this point.

J

Rootsy
08-25-2003, 04:00 PM
Jim,

your water pickups on the top of your bullet are the same as the other 5 or 6 TRUE Alpha SS's that i have seen in my lifetime... my drive is a mish mosh with the outboard gearcase...

tracking is much better because of the extra chord length on the gearcase of the SS vs the alpha 1...

and i also have run into the situation where i achieve MUCH less lift than with the gen II. max speed is achieved on my 16 with the quad IV by trimming to JUST A TICK above the 1/4 from all the way in mark... all of the way out is 1/2 way up the gauge from there i must use trailer. at this point she is FAST and a just a tad loose... if i trim another very slight tap or two of the trim OUT she slows down a good 1/2 mph and tightens right up and settles down and it is like riding in a cobra on rails...

when i ran the quad IV O/T i achieved max speed with just a hair over 1/8 out... very very sensative to trim...

the three blade cleaver was just about the same as the quad IV... CEPT... 1/4 out and hang on cause you are MOVING... but midrange blew goats... the chebby sounded good at 6000 though :D

and i also get a bit of a harmonic excitation in the 4000 - 4500 range... but it goes away at WOT and is not present at cruise... i hve not been able to isolate it at this time... i like your theory though

BUIZILLA
08-25-2003, 04:12 PM
Rootsy, any idea on the *buzz*?

J

your DEAD accurate on the trim scenario too..

Cuda
08-25-2003, 04:18 PM
I've "heard" that the cleavers work well with the SS drive. I have no first hand knowledge. I have a 21 and a 23 cleaver if you need to try one. Actually, right now they are at Donzigo's awaiting testing on the 22. :)

CDMA
08-25-2003, 05:01 PM
Jim,

I am pretty sure your buzz is likely the top part of the prop coming in and out of the water aka a surface drive. If I over trim my Bravo ( 1 1/2" up X dimension) I get the same feeling.

Chris

Cuda
08-25-2003, 05:51 PM
I can tell you my Kaama drives definetly make a buzz.

BUIZILLA
08-25-2003, 07:46 PM
Do any different style prop's alleviate or correct this buzz I feel? It's kinda annoying to me...

J

BUIZILLA
08-26-2003, 07:59 AM
Funny thing you say that about the spacers, that is EXACTLY what I intend to look for now. I was thinking all night long about that, and I haven't found a vendor yet.

Who has them? anybody?

J

CDMA
08-26-2003, 08:01 AM
Jim,

The real problem isn't the drive height. You just don't have enough power :) wink Seriously though before you go crazy try some props. I think that will help.

Chris

More power good, most power better

BUIZILLA
08-26-2003, 08:10 AM
I hear ya loud and clear, props it is...

23 clever?

J

MOP
08-26-2003, 08:39 AM
Jim another thought dial indicate the tip of the prop shaft. Just a few thousands will give you a buzzing sensation and the prop balance will do the same. My brand new Viper wheel had to have about 1/2 once cut from the hub center.

Phil

CDMA
08-26-2003, 09:02 AM
With the prop that high I would say cleaver or maybe my personal favorite...the hydro.

Chris

Sad the Hydro won't fit anymore :( ...but not that sad :) ...ok skunk works here too...not for too long though wink