PDA

View Full Version : Motor Oil Pump

Budman
08-25-2003, 03:03 PM
Are there any good oil pumps out there to simplify the motor oil changing process? I have heard of the kind used with a hand drill, to some electric pumps costing around $200. I have 2001 305 cu which has a flexible hose near the intake manifold which helps.

McGary911
08-25-2003, 03:28 PM
I found THIS ONE (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&classNum=170&subdeptNum=169&storeNum=6&productId=10677) on sale for $39 at boaters world, so it was worth a shot. It did a very good job, even with cool oil. It doesn't fill the reservoir in 10 seconds, but pump it, grab a beer for 10 minutes, come back, and it's done. It came in very handy in the big boat: 2 engines, 2 transmissions, 2 v drives. Came in handy on the Donzi as well.

Greg K
08-25-2003, 03:34 PM
I have used the Topsider pump, purchased at West Marine. Worked just fine to evacuate the oil from my 454 until it decided to blow it all out on it's own.
After replacing the motor with a new 502, I have the drain hose that I slide out the bilge plug hole for oil changes.
You're welcome to use it anytime or bring the boat by to do the oil change. Perhaps maybe investing in the drain hose and installing after the oil is removed, then you'll have no need for the pump.

Budman
08-25-2003, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the reply and recommendation. Sure beats the $75 price for an oil change I got from a local Boat dealer.

Budman
08-25-2003, 03:44 PM
Greg K: thanks for the input. Sounds like a good option using the hose and just draining it.

Cuda
08-25-2003, 04:26 PM
I also have the Topsider. After buying 4 or 5 other POS's, it's the only one I haven't cussed yet. :)

On another note, I heard of a guy that had the hose for draining his oil on his boat. Apparently, he took off once and forgot the plug. Beleive it or not, the hose snaked it's way out the hole and the prop cut the hose. He ruined an engine and almost sunk his boat in one swoop! Talk about bad luck. frown

Rootsy
08-25-2003, 06:11 PM
Note for Rootsy.. REMEMBER TO PUT YOUR PLUG IN... eek!

my oil drain hose is still intact and i wanna keep it that way!

MOP
08-25-2003, 06:44 PM
Problem with drain hose kits is they are a nightmare to install in the boat. Most OEM's use the dip stick to check and drain oil, that fitting has to come and a double outlet one installed. I would opt for the hand pump jobby they work pretty darn good. If and when you pull the engine then a drain hose is not bad but no real bargin. You have to fish it out the hull drain plug hole or worse yet use a pump on it, so you may not have gained anything just more work.

Rootsy
08-25-2003, 06:55 PM
i donno Phil, i drained my oil and it took me all of 15 minutes to install mine and that included getting tools... and that was in a 16 classic... with a V8... thank god i am still skinny and those imco risers make it really easy to get around, down and under...

makes a wee bit of a mess in the bilge when you pull the plug but it is worth it... no more scratches in the deck or balancing pails... or spilling oil or waiting for it to suck out for 30 minutes...

and to prevent hte fishing and pumping for the plug you can use a steel leader and swivel to connect it to the drain plug... i got this one from Sam Pilato... works like a charm...

ROotsy - Hose beast...

btw, the M is 99.5% complete.. and she looks better than when it was new... i forgot the camera last weekend... so you'll have to hang on for a couple of weeks... i LOVE PPG...

MOP
08-25-2003, 07:35 PM
Can't wait to see the photos on the M! I have a long hose on my oil pail it sets on the ground, I still use the Water Puppy pumps with a petro impeller. I loaned my reversible out and it got lost for life kind of miss pumping the new oil back in on the bigger stuff.

BUIZILLA
08-25-2003, 07:54 PM
I'll bet money Poodle can change the oil faster than anybody here.. eek! :D

J

Budman
08-26-2003, 12:09 PM
Sounds like changing the motor oil can be a challenging task the first time. West Marine has a 12 volt Oil change pump (item# 543421 for $106). Not sure if it is any better than a manual pump.

mikev
08-26-2003, 03:55 PM
the manual pumps are a pain it takes forever and your arm get sore by the time your done go electric or the hose route.