PDA

View Full Version : lifting my hatch

daboys
08-25-2003, 10:18 AM
Starting to think about that awful time of year when I have to put the Donzi away. This is my first year with the boat so I'm a little confused. The hatch to the engine room is electric on my 28 XZO, when I disconnect the batteries for winter storage how do I lower the hatch. The batteries are in the engine room - is their usually a mainual release, if so what would it look like - Many thanks

mjpcowboy
08-25-2003, 11:01 AM
Not certain about the 28 but on my 33 I take the bolt out of the lift where it attaches to the hatch, lower the lift and set the hatch down. Manually lift hatch in spring and attach. Word of advice the hatch is very heavy.

McGary911
08-25-2003, 12:28 PM
On some boats with electric hatch lifts, I've seen folks install some through bulkhead terminals, the type seen on some racecars where the battery is difficult to access (get 'em from Summit). Usually on a boat, you can put them under the back seat that is right on the engine room bulkhead. Clean and out of the way. That way you can hook up 12v from the outside (just lift the cushion) and work all your accessories.
This is especially handy if for some reason you run down your battery, or have some other battery related failure. Youll be able to hook up 12v and get the hatch open. If it ever happens, you'll be glad you have those external posts.

Cuda
08-25-2003, 12:56 PM
I'm not sure about your Donzi, but on my Formula, there is a pin you can remove where the hatch connects to the lift. I pulled mine out. Luckily I did this before I ever neeeded to due to dead batteries and the like. If it was connected I don't see anyway to get it up short of removing the rear bench seat. I don't know what the purpose is of this pin anyway, the hatch damn sure isn't going to fly up under speed, it is HEAVY!

Darrell
08-25-2003, 02:04 PM
On my 2001 26zx, just to the right on the drivers seat is a place to boost the boat for that very reason. I'am sure yours is like mine, just look for it in the side tray. Then you should be able to put a set of cables on it and raise the hatch.

Good Luck

Darrell

mattyboy
08-25-2003, 02:07 PM
what no one from Fla. is gonna tell him to move south so winterization is not necessary wink :D

Madpoodle HELLO!!!! are you asleep at the switch or what!!!! :p wink :D

Matty
stuck with a manual hatch

BUIZILLA
08-25-2003, 02:09 PM
Matty, you NEED to understand the motives here...

We don't want anybody to move south, we just want them to ship their hardware south :D :D

J

Bill H....
08-25-2003, 09:11 PM
We have a 2002 28 ZXO. There are power hook-ups right behind the drivers seat up under the side cushon. Don't ask me how I know...

Bill H....

Pegasus
08-26-2003, 04:25 AM
The 28 ZXO has what I call Frankenstein bolts that you hook up battery cables to for operating the engine hatch when there are no batteries intalled. Black and Red. They should be like previously said or at the perko switch starboard side behind driver's seat near the floor or there abouts.

daboys
08-26-2003, 10:46 AM
Thanks for all the informative assistance. I will be at the boat on Thursday PM to check it out. I do have external "frankinstien" bolts behind the captains chair, thought it was only for jumping the battery did not know I could use to raise & lower the hatch. Thanks again.

Looking forward to meeting LG Donzi owners on Speaker Heck 9/6 - I'll have a cold one ready to repay the infomration debt.

magnum27
08-27-2003, 02:53 PM
For those who run into this problem and do not have anything to hook a battery charger up to do get the hatch up or down, take a little 12 volt battery and wire up a cigarette lighter adapter to it and plug it into your cigarette (excuse me, 12 volt reseptical) and it will power the system to be able to raise and lower the hatch.