PDA

View Full Version : TERRABLE PREDICAMENT NEED ADVICE

Grip-it
08-25-2003, 09:27 AM
I HAVE AN 1986 18 CLASSIC WITH 350 CHEVY WITH ALPHA 1 DRIVE. I TOOK THE BOAT TO A LOCAL DEALER BECAUSE THE BOAT WAS CUTTING OUT WHEN SHIFTING FROM FORWARD TO NEUTRAL TO REVERSE AND VISE VERSA.
THE TECH ADJUSTED THE SPRING IN THE INTERRUPTER SWITCH. HE SAID THE SPRING HAD A SMALL BEND IN IT BUT THOUGHT HIS ADJUSTMENT WAS SATISFACTORY AND A NEW SWITCH WAS NOT NEEDED. IN ADDITION, THE TECH MADE SOME OTHER ADJUSTMENTS AROUND THE IMMEDIATE AREA OF THE INTERRUPTER SWITCH. I AM NOT SURE EXACTLY WHAT HE DID.
I THEN PUT THE BOAT INTO THE WATER. I PUT THE BOAT IN REVERSE AND IT WOULDN’T RELEASE INTO NEUTRAL. I TRIED REPEATEDLY BUT HAD NO SUCCESS. I HAD TO PULL THE EMERGENCY CUT OFF TO STOP THE ENGINE BUT THE BOAT DRIFTED DRIVE FIRST INTO THE BULK HEAD BENDING THE DRIVE SHAFT. THE DEALER THINKS THEY ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE. THEY STATE THE ADJUSTMENT THE TECH MADE ON THE INTERRUPTER SWITCH COULD IN NO WAY BE RELATED TO THAT PROBLEM. WHAT DID THE TECH DO THAT COULD HAVE CAUSED THE SHIFTER NOT TO RELEASE FROM REVERSE TO NEUTRAL????
YOUR EXPERTISE IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!!!

Rootsy
08-25-2003, 09:40 AM
THE MARINA IS RESPONSIBLE, since the worked on this and returned it to you in what should have been working order.

there is an adjustment procedure, very standard and straight forward in the mercury manual for the shifter adjustment.

The interrupter switch momentarily kills the ignition in order to UNLOAD the gears in the drive so that the clutch dog will release and go back to neutral.. going into gear is no biggie, the interrupter isn;t really needed.. but if you DO NOT unload the gears you will NEVER get it back into neutral. well unless you shut the motor off...

basically... in the procedure there is no adjustment of the rocker switch arm or plunger.. it is all in the cable barrels... and if a proper operation cannot be achieved then you must replace the cable for it has stretched beyond specification or is binding.

the tech who adjusted this should have tested the boat IN THE WATER to simulate actual loaded condition on the prop before ever returning the boat to you.. this is a safety item and improper operation and adjustment can cause property damage or injury.

Grip-it
08-25-2003, 10:12 AM
SO WHAT EXACTLY DO YOU THINK HAPPENED HERE. WHAT EXACTLY HAPPENED THAT WOULD CAUSE THE SHIFTER TO BE LOCKED IN REVERSE?

Cuda
08-25-2003, 01:00 PM
I'd say they were damn sure responsible. They probably adjusted it where it didn't unload the torque of the drive, making it impossible to get it out of reverse. Get on them. Let us know the outcome.

Greg K
08-25-2003, 01:34 PM
Were you able to get it out of gear once the engine was shut down? If you were, it definitely was the failure of the interrupter to function properly.

No longer interrupter challenged. :D

Rootsy
08-25-2003, 01:38 PM
basically... when you shift into gear you over extend the cable and it trips the interrupter momentarily..

what they likely did was adjust the linkage or just mess with interrupter. in order to properly adjust cables you have to go through the merc procedure and VERIFY your work. if you required a shift adjustment and it has never been touched then you have a cable which is stretching and if it cannot be adjusted adequately must be replaced.

so what happened specifically is you were in gear.. the clutch dog engaged with the reverse gear and your motor running supplying torque and loading the gear train... you then went to shift out of gear the cable and shifter moved ALMOST to neutral but not all the way and would not go to neutral because the interrupter was not depressing to kill the ignition and unload the gears.. the clutch dog was basically power bound into the gear and would not release... trust me.. the mechanical advantage is on the gear and clutch dog's side...

once the motor was shut off i bet she came out of gear without issue didn't she.

the cable is likely adjusted too far to the forward shifting side... OR someone never plugged the interrupter switch back into the wiring harness...

MOP
08-25-2003, 08:43 PM
Another thing when you keep pulling like crazy to get it out at the very least the adjustment goes out of whack. Sometimes the cables get stretched causing more grief. Yes the buggers are with out doubt responsible. The tech should have tested it, the test should be in the water. They do act different under load, many times they work perfect on a flushette and screw up when launched.

farmer tx
08-25-2003, 09:23 PM
I just got mine adjusted last week after many weekends of my 22-c dying around the dock. It was a hair raising adventure every time. You have to use an ohm meter on the switch to make the adjustments to the detent switch. Also the selco ,or what ever that generic service manual is, has one step different than the merc. service bulletin. http://www.sterndrives.com/supplies/mainsupplies.html
Look for mercruiser service bulletins and then Alpa one shift assist.
Hope this helps.
Mark

Donzi Blackhawk
08-25-2003, 09:31 PM
Hey Grip-it,

I back up what Rootsy said 100%. Your mechanic- you know, the one smoking his socks, is just trying to avoid the issue that he screwed up!

If you would like, I'll have my lawyers Dewey, Cheetaham & Howe give them a call.

All kidding aside, these guys need to pay for your repairs! It was their mistake. Good Luck!

Bryant (Keeper of the bast damn lawyers)

Trueser
08-25-2003, 10:57 PM
Your Shift Cable going to the drive is bad! I just replaced mine that had the same problem. It shifts so good that I did the other motor also. I think you over adjusted the shift linkage down to the drive. It should be 6 inches while in forward and most important is the prop must be locked in gear. Turn it by hand! Follow the instuctions on sternsdrives.com and it's a very easy adjustment. you should not have to mess with the switch.

I can shift both motors with easy and they never die anymore.

A $ 72.00 cable and new lower bushings for the shft rod will fix your problems for Good.

Grip-it
08-26-2003, 08:33 AM
THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR KNOWLEDGE. I'D LIKE TO ESPECIALLY THANK ROOTSY. YOU ALL GAVE ME THE KNOWLEDGE TO WIN THE ARGUMENT. I WILL DEFINITELY KEEP YOU POSTED TO WHAT THE RESOLVE.
THANKS AGAIN.

GeneD
08-27-2003, 03:20 PM
Roosty definitely has it going on.
The problem you describe is exactly how Roosty laid it on us. Good one dude!
There is no way to go from reverse to neutral without momentarily cutting the engine out, it just won't work. The way the clutch dogs are designed, torque will keep them engaged until you turn the engine off.
It sound to me as if your cable was just plain worn out, and the mechanic thought he could fix it by adjusting.
Apparently, it didn't work.
He is the cause of your bent shaft.