PDA

View Full Version : Tow job #1

evetsathom
06-07-2003, 01:47 PM
We had a great down ther river yesterday. With weeks and weeks of rain here on the east coast this was only our fourth trip out in our new (1995)classic blackhawk. I was feeling as if I had finally mastered the tricks of running this jewel. The boat was running great ! It was my first time out with less then 1/2 tank of gas. Boy did that make a difference. On our return to the dock we were running at about 2700 rpm when I heard a loud KNOCK and the engine started to rev as we drifted to a stop. I have to think this is a gear problem but there was no apparent grinding noise. I have never owned an I/O before this boat and have little experience with what to look for.
After calling my son to come rescue us on the radio, the motor on his whaler went out while towing us home. We had to have a neighbor come tow us both in. It wasn't a pretty sight.
Any advice on where to start ?

Rootsy
06-07-2003, 02:14 PM
not to want to bear bad news of any sort but it sounds like she let loose in the drive. The clunking noise gives this away really. If it was a coupler you may hear a squeal but would definitely smell burning rubber. the best scenario would be that a u-joint came apart but if that happened you'd likely be taking on copious amounts of H2O for the parts would surely puncture the bellows, if not destroy the whole bellhousing on the transom assy.

Whether it is the upper gearset or lower gearset or something else inside of it, it has to come off... and unless you have a good working knowledge of sterndrive repair and a whole slew of special drive tools you will have to take her to a mechanic... most preferably someone familiar with the blackhawk. Hope you did not damage the driveshaft or propshaft housings.

i bet one of the blackhawk guys will probably have a good clue right off the bat what went inside... there are a few around here.

J

evetsathom
06-07-2003, 02:48 PM
Root
Tthanks for the reply. I hope that some of those blaackhawk guy's do respond. I am now searching for a local mercrusier mechanic. I don't want to be taken for a ride so the more info I have the better.

Greg Maier
06-07-2003, 03:10 PM
Most likely the upper gears or vertical shaft that blew. Lower gears usually don't let go on the Blackhawk. There is a good mechanic near me that worked on my Blackhawk and it has held together so far. This guy is right next to Jackson Marine in Northeast MD. Also, Offshore Performance in Grasonville MD is an outstanding dealership.

mphatc
06-08-2003, 07:33 PM
Similar thing happened to me today . . .

1969 Corsican . . . leaving the Weirs Channel with 2 Cigarette Top Guns, one to starbard, the other to port, I figue I can atleast get the jump out of the water on them, we all coincidently launch simultaneously :D I get on plane first, and die with a big overrev . . . . .
can we say HUMILIATION . . I wanted to sink!

:o eek!

No ability to get going again, engine is fine, but boat won't move except at idle, same thing in reverse . . . after a long idle to the ramp I inspected the outdrive and feel the grinding sounds of aluminum, fearing the worst I remove the prop and find the rubber core of the prop wasted . . .

Mario L.
prop shopping

FASTEDDIE
06-08-2003, 08:37 PM
I also have a 1995 Blackhawk and last year I got stuck in reverse. Inspection found foward upper gear came off gear shaft and wedged in the gear box. Mercury claims that they do not have these old gears,but you can but the new foward and reverse gears,shims and forks are available for $1500.00 PLUS $80.00 SHIPPING AND WITH $ 1400.00 labor plus tax,kiss 3 grand goodbye. Sorry, hope you do better.