PDA

View Full Version : Wax Wax and More Wax.,..

Rootsy
06-07-2003, 09:21 AM
We all wax the heck out of our toys to make em look beautiful and hopefully provide adequate lasting protection. I am no different... BUT.. i have always wondered how much is enough and what is too much?

I don't claim to know much if anything about gelcoat. Is it porous enough so that it actually sucks wax in? Therefore, how many coats of wax is enough? the problem i always seem to run up against is lasting wax protection... therefore, how many coats, how long do you let it sit between coats, etc?

let the enlightening begin :)

Air 22
06-07-2003, 10:35 AM
Rootsy..

The best stuff out on the market is called "Collinite 845" http://www.collinite.com/

You will not find a better, long lasting, superior protection for your boat or car :D . It goes on very easy and comes off even easier. No white powder/residue left behind. This stuff is used on power lines to deflect lightning. It is a insulator wax for any application. Only caution is that it creates a VERY Slick surface..careful on your deck etc.. wink ! I use Collinite on my 22 Classic and just love the stuff :D

HyperDonzi
06-07-2003, 10:40 AM
Is it true? Rootst finally stumped!!! wink

The wax has solvents in it (which is why it cleans so good!) The solvents take off everything, including previous coats of wax.
I found this out 1/2 way through the 4th coat of wax this spring. :mad: :rolleyes: :(

Tommy

MOP
06-07-2003, 04:33 PM
I used Collinite for may years it is about the best wax you can get. About putting extra coats on, I was told was a waste of time. It was explained that almost every wax you buy has cleaner in it so the second coat removes the first. I guess to a point this may be true, I still do atleast two. There was a post quite a ways back about Finish First wax, I've done a little research and could only find one guy localy that has used it. I am going to order it as he pitched a good tale matching the litney on the Finish First site. Take a peek you may want to give it a try.

http://www.finishfirstpolish.com/index.html

harbormaster
06-07-2003, 04:48 PM
I use turtlewax carwash. It is a soap with wax built into it. After rinsing off the boat I wash it and the rinse it off. No drying of buffing. It comes out looking like I paste waxed wtih no water spots. Works great!

JimG
06-07-2003, 08:35 PM
Collinite Fleetwax Paste, baby! That stuff is GOLD!!

boldts
06-08-2003, 01:31 AM
Haven't tried it yet, but I've been told to use Dolflight (sp?) after the wax to seal and protect much longer with no fading. I've also been told its rather expensive, but worth it!

knee deep
06-08-2003, 06:30 AM
I do a fair amount of yacht detailing, and am also a huge fan of Collinite products. BUT for fiberglass hulls and superstructures I use nothing but Dolphinite. They make a wide variety of waxes - cleaner wax, color restorer wax, etc. No matter which one I use I always apply a coat of their T Wax Sealant , and usually re-seal every month or so. I am also adamant about using their boat wash 'n wax, and they have recently introduced Dolphinite Go Fast bottom paint which I am going to use on the 33 because of my satisfactin with their other products.

DOLPHINITE HOMEPAGE (http://www.dolphinite.com)

Bill H....
06-08-2003, 08:52 AM
Okay, so how much does the Collinite wax cost? You can't get a price from the Web site and there is no distributor in my state (OK).

Can anyone give me an idea before I place a call to Nu York?

Bill H....

Tony
06-08-2003, 09:49 AM
For several years I used Starbrite's Boat Polish w/ teflon, mostly because it advertised a strong UV protection. With an all red boat this is important to me. But, probably because it is a polish instead of a wax, it left a slight, almost imperceptable film on the gelcoat.

Last year I used Meguiar's #50, "One Step Cleaner/Wax", and it worked great. With it almost gone I am trying "3M Marine Ultra Performance Paste Wax" next, since the guy at West Marine says it is awesome. I'll report the results from this product later this summer.

MIKE MEROLA
06-08-2003, 09:56 AM
You can wax your boat every day its OK

Before you wax your boat you should wash it with Dish Detergent it remove`s the old wax.

Greg K
06-08-2003, 10:37 AM
You can find Collinite for the best price Here (http://www.shipstore.com/ss/html/CLT/CLT885.html)

HyperDonzi
06-08-2003, 11:39 AM
I saw a red boat that they had Vertiglassed (sp) 5 years ago, looks as good as ours does and we waxed it quite a bit this spring. Lots easier to apply, wash boat, rub a supplied pad on the boat, then paint it on. Ordered a box of it (80$), will take before and after pics. If it works, it will be the same price as the amount of wax we use a season, so no loss either way.

Rootsy
06-08-2003, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the advice on what to use... i currently have been using the 3M ultra paste... it works well, lasts a good while and helps with the chalking of the red.. it is a pain to get off though... i've been through mothers and mequirs and starbrite and turtlewax and nufinish, and and and you name it... the mothers and mequires provide a lovely shine and smooth surface but they do not last all that long...

what i REALLY wanted to know was how gelcoat sucks in wax? if it does at all. as in do i need to wax it 3 or 4 times to get the pores filled in the gel and an even coat on the top? with clearcoat you do not need to do this... thus painted surfaces are different than gelcoat.

JimG
06-09-2003, 06:58 AM
This is what sold me...

http://www.greatcove.org/read_boat_wax.htm

ClassicRazorback
06-09-2003, 09:58 AM
I just used the last of my Tree wax yesterday, and then almost slid in the lake filling up with gas! biggrin.

I ordered some of that Collinite stuff just now looking forward to trying it! wink

Thanks,
Chris

CDMA
06-09-2003, 11:40 AM
Having spent way too much of my life detailing boats I have honestly tried them all. I used to run a 3 guy operation in the summer maintaining 12-15 40+ foot boats.

After three years everything in the box was 3M but the waxes and metal polish. That was all Collonite. Collonite in my opinion is the best available wax on the market and one of the few products that truely blows my mind. Their fiberglass boat cleaner and metal wax are also top notch.

Chris

Dino
06-09-2003, 03:28 PM
Wow.. you all sold me.
I ordered mine today.
Great discussion.
Thanks Dino

JimG
06-09-2003, 03:42 PM
You'll love it... just don't let it dry!

Ask me how I know... :o

JimG "reading the instructions, now"

Tim Morris
06-11-2003, 07:30 AM
O.K., O.K., I'm sold too! I E-Mailed NY to see how to buy Collinite Fleetwax. They mailed back within an hour, turns out The Dock Shoppe in downtown Toronto has it - about a mile from where I work. Grabbed some yesterday, left work early and tried it on my '34 Chevy Streetrod. I'm impressed. Saturday, I'll do the Minx - it's good stuff. Thanks for all the info.

RickR
06-11-2003, 10:29 AM
Boat US has a full selection of Collinite Waxes. Good Stuff :D