PDA

View Full Version : bad day on the water help OMC problem

need for speed
08-24-2003, 02:50 PM
Was Out on the water to day with my 93 454 king cobra stock. everything was great untill the motor started to shound like it had bad full and stoped . I think i is a fuel pump problem in some way due to the fack that i took off the full filter to see and is was onlly half full ,so its not getting fuel I tryed a new relay on the fuel pump but still no luck . I then check fuel pump conector with my light tester no power when i trun the key. everything looks good but no power to pump? anyone ever come across this?

what should i try ? thanks

need for speed
charles

RickR
08-24-2003, 04:02 PM
Sounds like you have a Gev V with an electric fuel pump?

Check for voltage with the key in the "START" position.

Some electric pumps are set up with a oil pressure switch so when the key is in the "ON" position the circut is open till the oil switch closes (usually at 5#)

Is you fuel filter clogged?

Is there a pick up screen in the tank?

Do you have a clogged check valve?

need for speed
08-24-2003, 09:15 PM
Filter is clean, still way only about half full . Checked a few more things when i get someone to turn the key on i don't hear the fuel pump click on at all. Should n't it run for a few sec ,normally ? a few months ago my boat died the same way but started back up and never did it again so i did n't look in to it .. this time she did n't come back to life. she starts right up but only runs for a sec on the fuel she gets when i pump her and then dies. fuel pump works i hooked it up direct to test pump .. would this be in the wiering going to pump ? relay is good! what else.

dam all day she ran great to! Got to get it fix to be in Sarasota.

need for speed
08-24-2003, 09:45 PM
i have been reading a lot of old posts, a lot of people say the oil pressure SWITCH could be bad ,shutting off my fuel pump , where would i find that on this omc king cobra 454? it's not the sender so where would it be? thanks guys.

Brad Lyon
08-24-2003, 09:54 PM
Do you have electronic fuel injection and two batteries? I had a problem last summer with my boat. Battery 1 was being used to crank over the engine but the lead wire to the electronic fuel injection was connected to battery 2 which was drained enough and was not furnishing enough voltage to the fuel injection computer. Took a while to figure out that one.

Brad

need for speed
08-24-2003, 10:07 PM
carb motor and only one batterie. fuel pump just does n't seem to pump for some reson. everything else on the boat works great , could it be the ingnition ?

need for speed
08-25-2003, 07:13 AM
I do have the wiring diagrams thanks . I have checked the plug for power nothing in the plug..Could this be in the igintion swich even if everything else is ok? , gauges etc

need for speed
08-25-2003, 02:07 PM
could it be ignition?

need for speed
08-25-2003, 04:20 PM
Just got back from working on the fuel pump problem . I found a bad connection - going to the relay . fixed that then turned key pump works wells, will start her tom when i get the truck to pull out of my warehouse and run on hose , but i think i got it! thanks guys for all the help..

need for speed
08-26-2003, 05:19 PM
No LUCk. still having problems. Should the fuel pump run to prime system with key in on position on a 93 454 omc king cobra? my pump only getting power when i crank it. fuel filter not filling when key is on - should it?