PDA

View Full Version : I GIVE UP!!!!!

vanstee
08-23-2003, 03:23 PM
Had my Ragazza (17' 3.0L) out and and with 4 people it wouldn't even get up on plane. engine seems to be lugging at 3500 RPM. Seems to be getting worse as the year goes on. Tuned it up, checked timing. checked carb all seem ok. With 2 people I can get on plane but only getting 3800 RPM WOT where earlier in year was getting 4200. Cables don't seem stretched as the carb is wide open when throttle is full forward. Also, when running at slow RPM and gun it, the engine stalls. I'm lost. Any suggestions?

vanstee
08-23-2003, 03:29 PM
a few other things. No excess water in hull. fairly clean bottom. Engine isn't missing. Just seems not to have any balls.

Donzi Blackhawk
08-23-2003, 04:11 PM
With the engine running, make sure the timing is advancing. Just hook up a light and point it at the timing mark, if it moves your problem is elseware, if it stays put fix the mechanical advance. No advance = no power.

Good luck, be sure to give more details next time.

Bryant

Ed Donnelly
08-23-2003, 05:42 PM
If you don't have or can't use a timing light,pull the distributor cap off and try turning the rotor. It should move from a 1/4" to 1/2". If it feels tight or does not move, then likely your advance springs are rusted. If no tension at all, one or both springs are broken...ED

Ralph Savarese
08-23-2003, 07:44 PM
Check fuel volume/pressure

MOP
08-24-2003, 07:20 AM
All of the above plus pull the plugs they should all be the same color usually quite dark but not sooty black. With any lose of performance the one of the very first things I check are the plugs. Its like telling your engine "Stick Your Tongue out" its your only peek inside with out tearing things down.

1996Z15
08-24-2003, 08:45 AM
This sounds very similar to what I have just experienced with my Minx. I changed the water separating fuel filter, cap, rotor, plugs, cleaned out carb and, finally, changed the plug wires. I took it out for the first time after changing the wires just last weekend and they seemed to have made the difference.
Good luck with your boat; I feel your pain.

Walt. H.
08-24-2003, 10:17 AM
Vanstee,
Check your plug wires too, (firing order) might just be 1-cyl, going along for a ride because its either hanging off or got switched at either the distributor side or between two spark plugs while someone was farting around checking or cleaning. :confused: Dumber things have happened. :rolleyes:

W.H.

vanstee
08-24-2003, 09:59 PM
fuel pressure seems fine. checked plugs and all look good as well. I'll have to get a timing lite as mine is dead of all the luck. When you say move the rotor button, does it matter which way?

vanstee
08-24-2003, 10:04 PM
also, it appears that my spark cutout switches might be failing or out of adjustment. Give the boat gas and it just dies. I played bypassed the switches on the transmission lever and it seemed to run slightly better but still had to switch to a 14-13 prop to get on plane. I'll check the springs later this week.

harbormaster
08-25-2003, 06:34 AM
When was the last time you checked out your carb?

The accelerator pump in the carb could be malfunctioning. This can cause your boat to die when you give it the gas. It will also severely limit your top in. I rebuilt my carb and gained 10mph. (then I blew the engine which was another story :D )