PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Alpha SS owners

Rootsy
08-22-2003, 03:21 PM
How do you guys (forrest, murphy, etc?) flush your motor with an SS with the water inlets on top of the nosecone? is there a bonnet that works? i've seen a few and know of a few that use em and they SUCK from what i've been told... basically impellers get eaten cause of lack of water flow... BUT if anyone knows of one that actually WORKS... pass it on PLEASE.

OR do you use the flush port on the transom and feed the motor and backfeed the drive to keep the impeller lubricated and cool?

when in doubt.. ask i guess...

THanks...

BUIZILLA
08-22-2003, 04:04 PM
Rootsy asked this question on behalf of myself, and i'm in a serious quandry.... as in NO flushing attachments.

Any idea's from the gallery? i'm really kinda desperate..

If i can't remedy this, i'm gonna be forced to take off this $2700 investment and go back to a stocker. I must be able to flush the engine properly after salt water use.

thanx, J

Forrest
08-22-2003, 04:35 PM
Yea, let me know as well. Right now I use a pair of standard flush-muffs wedged between the bottom of the transom assembly and the nosecome of the lower unit, and it still leaks all over the place. I really don't think that it gets enough water while flusing, especially now after recently replacing my waterpump and finding that the impeller was somewhat burned from running dry. For that reason, I went back with a Globe Rubber "blue" impeller.

MOP
08-22-2003, 04:44 PM
There were some adapters for early outboards and drives tha had front intakes, maybe one of thost could do the job. I have to go out to my old shop they had a bunch of that stuff see what might fit.

Cuda
08-22-2003, 05:28 PM
Bob's Machine sells them. I bought one for mine.

SS18
08-22-2003, 05:44 PM
Walmart for the large Tucker or rubbermaid storage bin fill it and keep the hose running and secure.Just like giving a baby a bath in the sink!Worked really well and inexpensive.

BUIZILLA
08-22-2003, 07:58 PM
Okay, I tried 5 different ones today :confused:

early Bob's Machine
late Bob's machine
Merc Sportmaster
Merc en' general
West fitsall

unacceptable on all accounts

if the neighbors see me running this thing in a kiddie pool, i'll be committed..

the pisser is, I prolly damaged the brand new impeller

J

incredibly frustrated

MOP
08-22-2003, 08:01 PM
Who makes the one you bought at Bob's Marine?

Cuda
08-22-2003, 08:03 PM
Mine has a Bob's nosecone on it with the low water pickup. Isn't that the same configuration as the SS?

BUIZILLA
08-22-2003, 08:43 PM
Cuda, my SS has the 2 nostrils ABOVE the bullet and at a 45* angle towards the nose.

I just found one of my older Yamaha flushers and wedged it like Forrest said, and I got it to seal pretty darn good with the hose. NADA. Then, I took my 4 foot long igloo cooler bathtub and submerged the drive full of water... now it won't pick up any water at all..

If I run it off the transom tap, it pumps like a bitch... I guess it uses the engine pump to circulate off the transom tap.

EVERYTHING in this damm thing is new, except the housings themselves.

I'm gonna take the foot back off in the morning.

J

BUIZILLA
08-22-2003, 08:58 PM
No check valve at the *T*, the water comes out the drive, hell, the water goes EVERYWHERE...

It's on the Minx now, damm I luv that boat.

Kids want to ride down to the Keys on Sunday, I was going out tomorrow for a shake down, and now this.. I shoulda just left the corroded reliable drive on it. Eufala or bust.

J

taking a spare drive to 'Bama anyways.

boldts
08-22-2003, 09:00 PM
Used to have a Volvo 250 that I couldn't get to pull water thru using muffs. I took a plastic trash can like what poodle mentioned and just put the garden hose in it. Worked like a charm and the plastic stretches to allow the drive to get pretty deep into the can.

MOP
08-22-2003, 09:04 PM
Seems like it should be picking up water in the cooler, hope you did not do the impeller in.

BUIZILLA
08-22-2003, 09:17 PM
Poodle, just came back in the house to take a leak and the guest bathroom floor is flooded... gotta fix that first EARLY am....it NEVER ends does it. This drive needs to be 100% tomorrow or i'm taking the SS drive off, then snag the 18 drive or putting the original drive back on tomorrow, no matter what i'm going Sunday, kids are restless,Keys house has cold beer... i'm crispy

J

KMLFAMILY
08-23-2003, 05:54 AM
BUIZILLA:
No check valve at the *T*, the water comes out the drive, hell, the water goes EVERYWHERE...

Buzz, When you backflush through the transom it should come out through 2 exhausts & drive ports,prop.Thus flushed ? The check valve M.P. mentioned is on that transom line located further down the line.Caution,sometimes the internal plunger can stick after it has been used and restrict flow.It can cause an overheating prob.You can take apart and make sure it slides correctly.
Have fun Ken.

BUIZILLA
08-23-2003, 07:04 AM
<strong>
Buzz, When you backflush through the transom it should come out through 2 exhausts & drive ports,prop.Thus flushed ? Ken, it does do exactly as you mentioned, engine runs 145* on transom tap.

J

Jamesbon
08-23-2003, 08:49 AM
Why not tape off the two intake holes on the drive, then wax and throw some glass / resin on it to make a female mold, at the same time, stick a female hose end in the mix, when set up, remove the mold and tape then screw your male hose end into the mold you just made?

Would this work?

Capt. Donzi
08-23-2003, 01:37 PM
Thats how I made mine for the Imco :)
Ted

Jamesbon
08-23-2003, 03:21 PM
Great minds think alike wink

BUIZILLA
08-23-2003, 07:57 PM
Update,,,

took off the foot and checked everything out. Re-installed and submerged in Igloo cooler.. seems to be okay, but not great, Poodle shows up and almost can't control his laughter :D suggests we splash anyway, what the hell... drive seems to work great since I overhauled it, but i'm not so sure it's meant for a Minx hull.. 3 hours on it today... I thinks it's headed for the 18 to try it there...
ordered a twin entry flusher today, we'll see tomorrow what that does..

J

Rootsy
08-25-2003, 01:41 PM
ya know, it's times like this that i am very thankful for those side water pickups on my SS :D

Root - user of standard ole alpha muffs...

GeneD
08-27-2003, 03:12 PM
I wonder if a stock Bravo flush unit would work?

farmer tx
08-27-2003, 10:57 PM
Posting wars. Rootsy 1187 Gened 1185.
Jamie ahead by two.

Murphy
08-29-2003, 12:07 AM
Rootsy,

The guy who sold me the SS sent along a nosecone attachment. It's shaped to fit snuggly right over the nosecone with a V cutout to clear the gearcase. There are two water passages on the inside that feed water to the intake holes. The hose fitting is attached to the front. It fastens on with a tie down strap. Unfortunately there is no brand name on it. It works great. I could post a photo if you like. If you're good with fiberglass I think you could make one just like it.

Murph

BERTRAM BOY
08-30-2003, 06:40 AM
Mercury Racing makes a flushing attachment for the CLE gearcases. It's P/N 848703A 1

BERTRAM BOY :D :D :D