PDA

View Full Version : Flooring ????

florida gator
08-22-2003, 01:41 PM
I currently have carpet in the cockpit of my 90 GT210. I have some soft spots in the floor that I need to have repaired. Just wondering what type of floor covering I can put down that will be easier to maintain than the carpet? I know I can have a nonskid put down but I feel the nonskid that is not molded in looks bad in a boat such as the Donzi. Also have a friend with an autobody shop who suggested a spray in bedliner. Again not sure what that would do to a Donzi. Any Ideas?

Forrest
08-22-2003, 02:12 PM
You can't beat Pirelli ACTiVA Rubber Flooring for flooring in a boat. It's low slip, cleans up nicely, dries fast, and looks great! Cigarette, Powerplay, and many others use the stuff, but it's very expensive as far as floor covering goes; however, I found the deal on small quantities.

Call the PRF Group at (201) 804-5565 and ask them to fax you their close-out list. On the list you will find all types and colors of Pirelli flooring material available at the time you call in small quantities for as little as 90-cents a square-foot to no more than $2.25 a square-foot. Local dealers have quoted me as much as $8 a foot on the stuff in small quanties.

Once you have their close-out list, go to the PRF Group web site at:

http://www.rubberfloors.com/products/activa-rf.htm

and view the colors and styles available and then place your order.

I bought 108.6 square-feet (40 perfect tiles) of Classic BR (the standard stuff with the raised dots) for $96.84 ($0.90 sq-ft) plus UPS shipping (100 lb w/the glue) from Carlstadt, NJ, and did my Magnum. What a difference!!! Pictures will follow as soon as I detail it out.

Also, their recommended adhesive is a two part solvent-free epoxy which may to too permanent for application over gel-coated fiberglass floors. In this case, you may want to consider a contact type adhesive.

-----------------
Forrest - Your favorite 'Nole

Cuda
08-22-2003, 02:40 PM
Forrest, how does it lay over curves?

Forrest
08-22-2003, 04:27 PM
The rubber tiles are highly flexable, but they have a lot memory to go back straight, so it's really made for a flat surface. That being said, I don't see any reason that you couldn't lay it over large radius curves, but I don't think I would try it on tight curves.

Here is a so-so picture of the grey "dot" pattern Pirelli rubber tiles installed in a Powerplay.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/PirelliFloo1.jpg

Cuda
08-22-2003, 05:30 PM
I've got a feeling I could heat them up with a hair drier and get them to bend into the curves, and by the time it cooled, it should be stuck.

florida gator
08-22-2003, 07:59 PM
Thanks Forrest. That looks rally good and should be easy to maintain.

Was it difficult to install?

That should be great next time I feel the urge to take the Donzi fishing. Watching fish flop around on your carpet is not fun.

MOP
08-23-2003, 07:27 AM
Gee Forrest I always pictured you as tall as a Oak tree, but to get that shot you must really be about 4' 1" :D :D Deck does look super!

On the serious side another thought on the deck, have you thought of Rhino Liner. I have seen several boat decks done, you can get any color, its non skid and absolutely ballistic as far as wear & tear and color retention.

TuxedoPk
08-23-2003, 10:06 PM
Forest- It looks great. I was about to put down industrial carpet in my business and wonder if this might be a nice high-tech look alternative.

-Considering we can't put use padding in the high traffic areas and where chairs on wheels go, glued down tends to be hard on the feet after many hours.

-Do you think that this will be move comfortable to stand on? How do you think it would do with chairs rolling on them?

florida gator
08-25-2003, 08:37 PM
MOP, is that the spray in bediner? I have a client who does the Scorpion bed liner. He just did the entire interior of a truck he is restoring. I'm just wondering if it matcheswell with a Donzi.

Forrest
08-26-2003, 11:04 AM
Put their recommended PFG solvent-free epoxy on like thinset using a 1/8" notch trowel. The floor in the Magnum is new 3/4" marine plywood, not fiberglass. I would probabaly use as contact type adhisive on a smooth fiberglass surface so it wouldn't be so difficult to remove in the future. On vertical surfaces, I applied the tiles using 3M heavy-duty spray trim adhisive for the auto suply since the epoxy has no tack until it starts to cure.

Cuda
09-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Scott, was that an epoxy adhesive?

Donzigo
09-05-2003, 02:17 PM
Scot,

VERY NICE WORK!

Rubber fooring? From who?

Richard