PDA

View Full Version : Collinite application

Rootsy
08-21-2003, 07:37 PM
Ok you all sold me... so i had to give it a whirl... anything has to be easier than the 3M super paste wax.. that crap is a B*$%CH to remove... so i picked up some Collinite Fleet Paste wax... the 855 or 885 or whatever the number is...

first reaction is.. man this stuff smells JUST LIKE BEES WAX...

i read the directions and it threw me for a loop... put on with damp applicator sponge and remove and buff to a shine WHILE STILL WET? Did i read that right???

anyway i did the deck in small sections so i could actually do this while it was still wet and it looks like a million bucks... although it dried upon removal and balled slightly but turn the rag and take it off without issue...

I washed it first OF COURSE... and i probably need to wash and reapply...

so how do all of the collinite users apply and remove your stuff?

smokediver
08-21-2003, 07:56 PM
rootsy, I dont know if you have a high speed polisher but if you do get the 3m black pads part 5723 ... a closed cell foam that doesnt leave swirls..you can apply by hand or with the polisher.. have you tried the 3m marine liquid wax? it is a great wax for gel coat..to me, the collinite is a great product but i am in the sun down here and it is a bear to work with ... the 3m is much easier... i just finished a 47 excalibur and it came out great ... they are all good as long as you stick with a system and follow directions..

Rootsy
08-21-2003, 08:10 PM
smoke,

i have been using the 3M paste and liquid waxes for a few years now.. was the best i'd tried... the liquid is easy on easy off.. the paste is way more elbow grease. i generally do not use a hand polisher for wax application and removal but i do use one for ALL compounding and polishing... wool pads, white and black 3M foam also... i actaully stripped the deck and compounded and polished to get rid of all of the discoloration in my stripe that i hadn't been able to quite get...

i like the 3M but really the protection does not last as long as i'd like so heck i figured i'd try soemthing else just for the heck of it...

THANKS!@

Sam
08-21-2003, 08:38 PM
I have used the 3-M products for years with reasonable results. But if you want a "long" lasting hard finish wax use the Collinite. I use it on on all my top side gell on my cruiser. It is harder to work with but if your boat is subject to a lot of direct sun light/salt it's worth the effort. Just my two cents.

Sam

knee deep
08-22-2003, 06:01 AM
I do alot of yacht maintenance and have been detailing boats and yachts for years. I used to use both 3M and Collinite. The 3M doesn't last worth a damn and Collinite is fine but can be a bear to work with. I finally found the answer - Dolphinite. They make a large number of waxes and they are all great. Now, because I like you guys am gonna let you in on a secret. I use Dolphinite Cleaner wax mixed with their T4 Sealant wax, about 50/50 depending on how dirty the boat is, adjust appropriately. If neccesary I even throw in a little of their color restorer. We did a brand new 58 this way and you would not believe the difference. The maintenance is easy just go over it quickly about once a month with the T4 sealant and your good to go! This stuff rocks..... dolphinite (http://www.dolphinite.com)

JimG
08-22-2003, 07:13 AM
I use my Collinite just like the instructions say: apply, then wipe it off before it dries. It makes no sense, but it WORKS! I did let it dry on one spot, just to see what it does. It was a mistake... :D

Scubado
08-22-2003, 01:26 PM
Rootsy,

It seems like you mentioned once having a bit of oxidation on the red stripe. How did you take care of that? Did you buff it our or did the wax do the trick? I'm still thinking about giving the Collinite a try myself after all of the recomendations, so far I've been using the 3M marine wax. I agree that it dosn't seem to last long, especially on the hull sides.

Rootsy
08-22-2003, 03:11 PM
yes when i got my 16 it had a PINK stripe...

i've used a wool cutting pad and 3M super duty and gone over it for the first 2 years to clean it up alright. The problem is leaving it in the sun without a cover... the UV just turns the gel pink again.

This spring i stripped the deck hardware.. got out the wool and the 3M super duty and cut it down.. then swapped to a foam compounding pad and went to a Finesse-It III followed up on a seperate foam polishing pad on the buffer with 3M polishing compound... then 2 coats of 3M paste wax and 1 coat of 3M liquid wax which gives a much better shine than the paste... i wash between coats of wax also...

i've also gone to religiously using my full mooring cover whenever i am not actually using the boat... so far so good...

Sam
08-22-2003, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the tip Knee Deep !

Sam

smoothie
08-24-2003, 07:14 PM
I used this stuff (http://www.firstclassshine.com/test3.htm) in the spring and its been holding up great and easy to use,I used finish cut first by hand then shine master to top it off.

mattyboy
08-24-2003, 08:06 PM
so to apply collinite it is a pain in the ass???
so should it be called a collinoscopy???? :p wink

Matty

Air 22
08-24-2003, 08:29 PM
Rootsy..
Collinite Insulator Wax is the easiest stuff to wax your boat..period. wink I use an washcloth and apply evenly to a surface area that your arms can reach. Follow immediatley with a towel and wipe off. I've been using this stuff for 3 years on my 22 and love it. I can do the entire boat in 30 min or less. The stuff lasts 4-5 washings. Caution..after your done the deck and any surface covered is VERY SLICK! eek! Works very well on your cars as well. You will not find superb protection that lasts nor goes on as easy as Collinite! :D