PDA

View Full Version : What's Up with DONZI ???

FJB20
08-20-2003, 04:03 PM
Just Browsing Around Other Manufacturers Websites
to See What's New for 2004 and Most of Donzi's Competitors Offer the 496 CI 375 or 425 HP Mercs with Bravo Drives in Their 22 Foot Boats. Doesn't Donzi Want the 22 Foot Go Fast Business?? Tiz a Shame !!!!!
Bring Back the 22Zx with the 502 or Even the 377 Scorpion Would be Nice !!!!!

Last Tango
08-20-2003, 04:41 PM
ACTUALLY,... the REAL go-fast boats at Donzi DO in fact have the very motors you are lamenting - the Classics - 22 footer goes all the way to the 502/470HP, and has the 496 Mag and Mag HO as options. It also has the Scorpion motor. The 18 Classic has the superlative MX6.2 MPI and the Scorpion motors available.
2003 22ZX is NOT designed to be a total machine for speed. Designed, built, and sold as a no-options package for total simplicity and price.
However, 22ZX's prior to 2003 did have big blocks as options. Check around if that is what you really want.
Mark

FJB20
08-20-2003, 06:10 PM
Love the Zx's Shame they Don't Make a Bigger Motor BAJA and the rest of the Cookie Cutter Boats Know That People Want HP Zx's Have a Little More Freeboard than the Classics and You Feel a Little Safer Out in the Ocean Thanx for the Info Perfect Package -- 2004 22ZX -- 377Scorpion--
Bravo Drive-- Quick & Quiet Plus-- Gafrig Monster Gauges with Matching Bezels etc etc etc

BigGrizzly
08-20-2003, 06:26 PM
FJB, I totally disagree with the ride and feel safer- that just isn't true. The ride is different not better by any means. My son has a 22 ZX and vertually almost all his friends like the way mine rides and I have the classic hull. come to Eufala V on the laborday weekend and I will let you experience the difference

Last Tango
08-20-2003, 06:39 PM
FBJ,
I agree 100% with you on the lack of more HP in the 22ZX, for exactly the same reason - Baja and "Et Cetera". I went by the dealer a few months ago and he had a nice looking 2003 22ZX on the lot. My heart began to race because I really like the features of the 22ZX as you described. But I was informed that the 22ZX now only comes in basically one package with almost no options. The explanation was that Donzi was trying to market the boat to entry level buyers and selected what they believed would be that ideal cost effective/performance packagefor newbies. A marketing move. I also believe the current design of the forward bulkhead in the engine compartment precludes installing the big block motor. Plenty of width, just no longer the required depth lengthwise. I have no idea why since previous 22ZX's had all the big engines available. Several on this board own such boats.
My perfect, new construction, 22ZX would have the 496 Mag HO, Bravo One, and use the extra dash area above the V-berth hatch for a full array of the new Mercury integrated instrumentation. Still need white-faced Gaffig II's in front of me, though... with red bezel rings... gotta be red.
Mark

FJB20
08-20-2003, 07:37 PM
Thanx for All of Your Replies -- Pleez Don't Get Me Wrong -- Love the Classics and All That Available Horse Power -- Rode in Them and Enjoyed Every Minute -- (BC) Before Children I Would Have Built a 22 Fott GEOO Boat -- But With My Family The ZX is the Way to Go Tubing Skiing Storage and a Place for the Princess to Lay Down ,When Her Little Self Gets Cranky -- And I Totally Agree on the 496 HO
We Could Get from Somers Point,NJ to Wildwood,NJ
in 30 Min. How Sweet would the Be Sitting at The Lighthouse Having Lunch and Didn't Have to Hear "Will We Be There Soon??? Thanx Again!!!!

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
08-20-2003, 07:46 PM
Tubing? That isn't all that easy in a 22ZX, 19GPS (fast prior to whipping a turn for the rider) to stay on plane, and a sled to get most skiers up with a 350.
Not the reason to buy a 22ZX.
As far as power goes, yes the BBC would go faster, but IMHO after doing 240 hours in my old one, a nice 6.2 would be plenty, and get the CL Cooling Horizon motor.
The 22ZX is an entry level performance boat, that is why they have swivel seats.

Still a great boat, by all means, God knows we loved ours.
Best of luck shopping. If you consider a 26ZX let me know, I know where one is at.
Bryan