PDA

View Full Version : fogged gauges

mikev
08-19-2003, 10:36 AM
I have Faria gauges and when I go out early in the moring three of them fog up. Once the sun comes out and heats them up they are fine any ideas on how to prevent this or fix it.

Rootsy
08-19-2003, 11:48 AM
Mike,

are they fogging on the inside or the outside? my autometers fog on the inside (definitley arent the pro comps :( )

if on the outside OR if you can get em apart and to the inside, RAIN X makes an antifog solution... i've used it on many things including the inside of my windshields, snowmobile helmet visors, goggles, etc... works very well...

mikev
08-19-2003, 12:13 PM
its on the inside and i cannot get them apart.

MOP
08-19-2003, 12:45 PM
The only thing I have done that works fairly well but requires minor maintenance is to drill a small hole in the housing the gauges should be done out of the dash. I use a 1/8 drill bit with a collet that limits the depth to just past the angled flank of the bit about 1/8 of an inch once drilled I tape small Silica packets over the hole with a few pin pricks on the gauge side to allow the packet to draw out the moisture. The Silica packets need changing every few months but do save the gauges. I service quite a few commercial fishermen open boats that had to have gauges damn near every year, now they get 3-4 years out of them. Its not a cure but does extend the life!