PDA

View Full Version : Color scheme on classics

Luca45
08-18-2003, 09:32 PM
Anybody know what colors have been available over the years for the classics? I ask because the 1986 18' I just got is almost an off white color with a single blue stripe, but it's a little darker than this eek! I'd never seen one like it, and i dont know if it's original. I might try and re-spray it this winter...I need to do something to look forward to the spring!! Also, has anybody used imron or something similar, with good results?

Surfer
08-19-2003, 07:21 AM
I have an 85 18, with the same colors, my boat was built as a Bertram tender (made in Miami) and has the same Bertram blue and gold. Might have been custom for Bertram.

BUIZILLA
08-19-2003, 07:37 AM
Luca, are you asking about the white, or the blue color?

J

Ralph Savarese
08-19-2003, 09:25 AM
My boat was painted top deck removal and new core wood by me 2 years ago with a brushable liner polyurithane like Imron .
This stuff can be found at www.detco.com (http://www.detco.com) .Totally indistructable stuff. It can be used below the water line .and shines like no tomorrow!
Never wax . I made some mistakes maybe you could learn from. If I could get together with you we could talk.
Ralph

Luca45
08-19-2003, 11:58 AM
Buizilla:

I'd never seen a donzi with this off white color...it's the entire hull and cockpit too, so i think it's factory. The blue stripe looks like it was handpainted on...it could use some TLC. I just want to keep the boat original even in the modest restoration that we might do this winter.

BUIZILLA
08-19-2003, 12:10 PM
I have 2 '87 hulls. Both are *off-white*, and we had a HELLUVA time making a gel cocktail for some cosmetic tweaking. It's actually a very pale grey. We had to mix some browns, yellows and a splash of black in basic white gel to get a color match. It was a chore from hell, but we finally got a perfect match.
I have not yet seen an 85 and earlier, or 89 and later, with this gel color. Maybe it was a Genth era only cocktail of white gel colors??

J

Morgan's Cloud
08-19-2003, 01:02 PM
If you're talking about spraying and are looking at non linear polyurethane epoxy finishes all we use here is AWLGRIP. Not 'dissin' anyone, but I once did my car (when I had one) with Imron.Great stuff, super shine good degree of repairability but I would'nt do a boat with it. NOTHING comes near AWLGRIP... mind you the price reflects it too wink

JP BRESCIA
08-19-2003, 02:39 PM
My 18 is a 1980. topside and lower hull are a Dove Grey so to speak. I have not seen it on another 18. It cleans up nice but is still dove grey.

McGary911
08-19-2003, 02:51 PM
Mine's a '79 and is an eggshell color as well. I have a red stripe on mine, but i believe the original stripe was a brownish color.
When i first got my big boat, we polished the transom with a buffer and compound, and it still wouldnt come white. Finally a passer by broke the news to us that our boat wasnt white, the "white" on the hull was just chalk from sitting. Talk about not seeing the trees through the forest! :rolleyes:

The off-white on the Donzi really grew on me. It's to the point where a white one looks unusual to me.

oldLenny
08-19-2003, 03:02 PM
I think the colour is the same or VERY similar to this new Chrysler colour for vehicles this year. It is the off-white colour you see on all the new trucks and jeeps and PT Cruisers...I had 5 gallons of gel done up to colour-match this colour on one of my boats...I use this website to get colours from vehicles I see, regardless of the year, and then buy a half pint of it from a Autobody supplyhouse or similar and then send it off to a "photo-spectrometer" for analysis and the matching of it to some gel-coat.

#5072, Stone White

http://autocolorlibrary.com/cgi-bin/search/searchpic.pl?2003-chrysler-pg03.jpg