PDA

View Full Version : Duh, I think the problem is..........

Darrell
08-18-2003, 08:44 AM
Well if you remember last week I started a post asking for help in getting my 26ZX to preform upto it's standards. I starting to think that the problem was just a weak 502 from Merc. Well after another 58mph day on the lake, I was at the shop doing some engine room cleaning and noticed a bolt with 1" brass covering hooked to the side of the EFI cover. After doing some checking, there is a plastic clip that holds the throttle line to the brass covered bolt. Because this was missing my throttle still hade 3/4 to 1 inch from opening up fully. I guess it allways been gone. Anyway new one is on it's way and I can't wait to try it out.

Darrell

Cuda
08-18-2003, 11:54 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I bet you will see noticable improvement in top speed with a fully opened throttle. :)

Donzi Blackhawk
08-18-2003, 12:14 PM
Not to be a bad guy, but check out the "How to Articles" section. Under Engines and Exhaust, you will find "Engine Performance Check List". Check out item # 5. It tells you to check for full throttle travel.

Hopefully this performance list will be of help in the future. Just trying to help.

Bryant (Maker of lists)

Darrell
08-18-2003, 03:45 PM
No problen Bryant, I never even looked at the list :o , lots of good info however. Just can't wait to find out what full throttle makes :D . Next week I might even try using that trim thingy. :D :D wink

Darrell

Feeling much better about my boat.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
08-22-2003, 10:28 PM
Re-read your post, had to delete my reply.
I hope that is it, keep us posted.
Best of luck to ya.
I will be doing maitenance on our motor this weekend, if you need a picture of anything just let me know.
Bryan

MOP
08-23-2003, 07:07 AM
Poor Bryan knows every nut and bolt by heart, may retire to be a Merc master tech. Just Joshing Bryan, hope all you do is check fluids etc. and enjoy for awhile.

Phil

Darrell
08-23-2003, 09:49 AM
It's really makes a differance when you can run full throttle :D . Done some testing on Thursday afternoon and the boat ran 65 mph. :) I still need to adjust the controls, but very pleased with the proformance. And Bryan I have been reading your post on SM exhaust install, mine should be here next week. I might have to give you a call, of course mine is just like yours except, I had to get different risers for the quick and quiet exhaust. By the way can the guts be taken out of the stock tips or would I have to get new ones?

Darrell

(Life is better at full throttle)

McGary911
08-23-2003, 10:19 AM
Darrell, Congrats on your recovered speed. Hopefully youll run into a boat that WAS a little quicker than you, and let them know the truth :)

I double checked my throttle advance, and am sorry to report that there is no free speed there...

For me: big boat\fishing today, hopefully donzi day tomorrow. Hope it works out.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
08-23-2003, 11:34 AM
CONGRATS Darrell..
Tips: I have read hundreds of posts about folks trying to gut them, I think it would be easy if they were off the boat, I spent $300 on new ones instead, internal flappers, and externals, got them from Corsa, bolted right up, a 15 minute job.

Call anytime. 757-558-4835
Bryan