PDA

View Full Version : Formula JR Cruise # 1 :D

Hornetman
06-20-2000, 07:56 AM
http://206.150.187.82/ubb/biggrin.gif http://206.150.187.82/ubb/biggrin.gif http://206.150.187.82/ubb/biggrin.gif OK guys and gals, here's a neat little story. I was out in Niantic (CT) Sunday evening, had just called in a pizza to the local pizza joint and had drove to the pizza place to wait 15 min. for the pickup. My fiancé (Tanya) didn't want to sit and wait for the pie so we decided to drive around. While waiting to pull out onto Main St. I saw a boat on a trailer driving towards me. Who could ever imagine a little white Formula Jr. headed east towards the bridge? Well let me tell you I cut off traffic to pull out right behind him, and followed him all the way to the boat launch, pulled in behind him and got out of the Dodge. He looked over and asked if I was after his boat or his wife? I told him I was after the boat. Tanya then got out of the car, and he took one look at her and offered to swap his Formula Jr. for Tanya. I immediately accepted the swap. Unfortunately he was joking but he did offer to take us for a ride.
Anyhow these people were really terrific. Jacks Formula is a 1965, all white with red stripes, and a brand new v-6 mercruiser with alpha drive rated at nearly 200 HP. We taxied out through the bridges and ran it up to about 55 MPH. What a ride!!! Anyhow the boat is featured somewhere in the Don A. book written by Mike A. I need to get a copy to check it out. Anyhow Jack and his wife are the original owners and visit from NH for a few weeks several times a year and I've now got a local guy who's willing to take us out. He e-mailed me yesterday and said we need to go for a real ride. He says she will do 65 with 2 people. I'm psyched!!!
Also the Hornet motor should be ready to drop in the boat by the end of the month, and then another month or so of wiring rigging and spending more cash. Hopefully the resources ($$$$$'s) won't run out. I'm still smiling from Sunday night!!!!!!!

BTW, Does anyone know how many of the Formula Jr's were beilt and what the production years were? Just curious....Thanks

------------------
Steve A. (Hornetman)

[This message has been edited by Hornetman (edited 06-20-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Hornetman (edited 06-20-2000).]

Craig
06-22-2000, 11:37 AM
Not an answer to your question, but I know a guy with a Formula, Jr. here in wetsern Maryland (where I live). I noticed you said it would hit the mid 50's with a 6 cyl., but that it was a new one. The one I'm familiar with (pretty sure its around 17')would get into the low 50's, as I recall (definitely 50mph) with an old straight 6 Mercruiser. I always thought that was pretty impressive. Another good testimony to the 'ole Don A. hull designs.

Hornetman
06-22-2000, 12:10 PM
Actually Craig he said it will run mid-60 mph range with 2 people. Hopefully I'll find out this weekend. I have to be carefull not to spend too much time in his Formula, and not working on my Hornet. Distrubutor, coil, carb, wires, water pump will be on the motor Sat. and hopefully the balancer, pulleys, alternator and raw water pump by the end of the month. Then the 427fe will have a new and imroved resting place in the boat(soon to be "not resting") http://206.150.187.82/ubb/biggrin.gif Anyway the v-drive is in the boat, and the transmission is also ready to go, I have the starter, trim tabs (bennett dual sport tabs), new helm (big"T") stearing cable, shifter and throttle cables, I picked up 1/2 of my chrome from the chrome shop, (lifting rings/cleats, engine hinges and exhaust ports). I'll have the original Morse shifter housing and centercap for the original steering wheel, as well as the rudder housing and vents all back and MINT next week. Santa needs to make a summer trip to my house with, exhaust risers, heat exchanger, batteries, trays, plumbing, internal drive shaft etc. SANTA ARE YOU LISTENING????????????????????????

GeneD
06-22-2000, 03:53 PM
Stevo,
Just wondering...how much did the chromer charge? The vents on 007 need it bad.
I'm psyched for you to get that damn boat running finally.
I just might come up and go for a cruise!

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

[This message has been edited by GeneD (edited 06-22-2000).]

CDMA
06-22-2000, 06:38 PM
Gene-

You can actually buy the vents new from Rich. He had them reminted. May be close to rechroming them.

Chris

CDMA
06-22-2000, 11:06 PM
70 bucks will buy I am guessing 80% of one new one. Rechrome it is

Chris

Hornetman
06-23-2000, 11:55 AM
Hey Gene, I don't have an exact dollar amount for the vents, he's doing all my stuff based on estimated time for each piece but I don't have the information available. He charges me his old hourly rate $40.00/hr. and I'm thinking it's about 1-1 1/2 hours per vent. Mine are brass/bronze. I do know I've spent $1,500 there so far, the estimate was about $1,500 for everything and I still have another $1,000 or so to go. I guess his estimate was a little off????? I'm working on holding him to his quote, but the guy does to unbelievably great work. Sorry I can't be more help Gene.

------------------
Steve A. (Hornetman)

Owen
06-23-2000, 04:03 PM
Jack's formula is indeed rare from what I have found out regarding the 65s. When Don sold Formula to Thunderbird, Thunderbird was more interested in producing the 233 but they also acquired the Jr design. The Jr was a hard boat to make because of the negative camber of the rear gunwales - requiring a two piece mold process. When Don saw that Thunderbird was not putting out alot of these unigue boats he just simplied the hull shape by lopping off the the last 8 inches of the hull - removing the negative camber - so he could use a single mold process. The resulting boat was of coarse the 64 16 sport-skiier. So far the production years are 65 to 69 for the Jr. The later boats are uncommon but not extremely rare as I once thought. They came with all manner of engines and drives. There does not seem to have been a single prefered setup. The two most common types are the 289 ford and Four cylinder Volvo engines, both with volvo drives. Almost all of the ones I've seen have been updated to 302 or 351 ford engines and Alpha or Type 1 mercs. This setup is good for low 60's speed. The hull really can'nt do much more than that with out getting chine walk. Some hulls were altered by cutting down the V at the rear of the hull to make a pad. Don had nothing to do with the original design of the Jr. It was Jim Wynne's design.
The burning question I have, is if Aronow's Formula Company ever made any production Jrs. That would be a rare boat indeed. See the registry of my boat for more info. http://www.donzi.net/hull.cfm?id=312

Hornetman
06-26-2000, 06:40 AM
Owen Thanks for the cool information. Went for anither ride with Jack yesterday afternoon out in Niantic Bay. It was blowing in the mid 20's with 3' seas. What a ride. Getting real thirsty for the water myself.
P.S. Distributor, coil, water pump, wires, carb are all on the block. Time to buy the raw water pump, heat exchanger, exhaust risers, pulleys, and rebuild the vibration dampener. Then the motor goes in.

------------------
Steve A. (Hornetman)