PDA

View Full Version : Engines

RickR,GroveCity
06-19-2000, 09:28 PM
Geoo,Jamesbon,CMDA
How are the new engines comming along?
Keep us informed (without explitives please)

I guess you don't want to hear about last weekend when my wife went out of town so we had boys night out.
Got the 18 out and blasted all over the lake while the BBQ was cooking on the smoker and the Brewskies were cooling on ice. There sure were some big grins on Genuine Risk!! http://206.150.187.82/ubb/biggrin.gif
She sure feels fast after riding around in the 22 for a couple of weeks.

------------------
RickR mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

GEOO
06-19-2000, 09:40 PM
Rick, Sound like a good time in the old 18. My motor is being assembled this week?? GEOO

Jamesbon
06-20-2000, 02:17 PM
Well, it's all together just waiting for me to adjust the valve lash (since I had to install different guide plates) and install the 400 balancer and pointer, plus the H20 pumps, distributor, and other ancillary items. I've been traveling a little, lazy, and taking the Supra out - so progress has been slow, but not halted. I want her back together soon so I can run her for a season or two before I strip her naked and start all over.

RickR,
How's the 22 coming along? Any bites on the 18? Last but not least, are you coming down in Sept.?

Nathan

CDMA
06-20-2000, 05:55 PM
Rick,

I am not building an engine. I have a stock 350 that I am using that I know runs but an engine for me is next winter. I want to stay with the Volvo and a SB and am not looking for anything crazy. I also do not want to spend a rediculous amount of money. I am looking at a few options including a strong 350, a bucks down 383, or possibly something already put together. I know little about building an engine because I have never done it before but I am reading and I am learning. So we will see...any ideas? Have you every thought about putting your big block from the 18 in the 22? Just an idea.

Chris

RickR,GroveCity
06-21-2000, 07:30 PM
Nate
I have all the electronics installed on the 22 (Chris I went with the ICOM) and gave her a good tune up. She sure is boring compared to the 18. You can testify to how Genuine Risk runs. See you in Sept, glad to see your finally getting some precip. Nice having 2 boats isn't it (sorry GEOO and Chris).

Chris
I thought you had a 350/Alpha lined up? There is a new book out for hopping up marine SBC, might be an HP book, look on Amazon
I have thought of swapping motors between the 18 and 22 but the 18 is set up so perfectly I hate to change it, besides I am thinking of a 502 for the 22 (there is no substitute for cubic inches).

------------------

GEOO
06-22-2000, 05:53 AM
Newest up date on motor. Short block is together. Push rods, oil pan and new larger injector should be in Today or friday. If all goes well http://206.150.187.82/ubb/rolleyes.gif She goes to the dyno Saturday. I have some concern if the Fuel Injection will work with a highly tweaked small block. GEOO

RickR,GroveCity
06-22-2000, 06:37 AM
GEOO
If you have to go with a carb I reccomend a 4150 Holly Race Carb (Summitt or Jegs) with annular discharge nozzels http://206.150.187.82/ubb/eek.gifYee Haa!!!
(I milled my choke horn off)

------------------

[This message has been edited by RickR,GroveCity (edited 06-22-2000).]

Jamesbon
06-22-2000, 08:26 AM
RickR,
Yes, the 18 is something else! After seeing what a 502 did for the neighbors 24 Cigarette, I can only imagine what it'd be like in your 22 Classic....GO FOR IT!! Looks like I gotta get on the ball for Sept., the way I see it, I owe you a few cold ones and a blast on the 21GT.

Nate

Hot Water Man
06-25-2000, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Jamesbon:
RickR,
Yes, the 18 is something else! After seeing what a 502 did for the neighbors 24 Cigarette, I can only imagine what it'd be like in your 22 Classic....GO FOR IT!! Looks like I gotta get on the ball for Sept., the way I see it, I owe you a few cold ones and a blast on the 21GT.

Nate

------------------

Jamesbon
06-26-2000, 11:31 AM
**Update**
So, you guys are gonna love this...(haha)...I'm taking the 388 back to the machinist so he can fix the mistakes that supposedly "his staff" made while assembling my engine. And this is all before I even started or installed it.

1) rocker arm studs are all crooked - like the stud holes or surfaces were drilled and tapped by hand. (They re-faced the stud boss for the guide plates to clear the roller rockers and must have done it by hand!!)
2) change the 350 timing pointer to the 400 pointer. (it takes a real rocket scientist to know that the 350 pointer won't clear the bigger 400 balancer)
3) cam button clearance re-checked
4) fix stripped head bolt hole in block. (I noticed they missed a washer on one head bolt, I pulled the bolt, installed a washer, and the bolt wouldn't even catch the threads in the block &^%%^#&$!!)

Yes, needless to say I'm "PO'd!" But I'd rather catch these numerous mistakes before I'm miles offshore and something fails. Next time, I'll either buy a crate motor, or build it my self using my other machinist.

PaulO
06-26-2000, 01:13 PM
Is there a good source for a 383+ crate motor? I know there is a goodwrench truck longblock but, probably not quite right for marine.
PaulO

Barry Phillips
06-26-2000, 01:13 PM
Rick: A guy in the Lake George Donzi
Classics Cub dropped in what looks like
a warmed up HP 500 in place of the
stock 454 in his 1998 Classic 22. The
motor makes 570hp and a claimed top
end of a 83mph. Don't think you would
get board running this boat.
SO-SlO

GeneS
06-26-2000, 01:30 PM
I bought two 383 short blocks from SECO Performance. These are "race prepped" with four-bolt main, forged crank and rods and hypereutectic pistons. They are made in Jacksonville, FL by Wheeler. Cost is about $1200.

They are sold without warranty but I was able to return one that had a crack in the lifter valley.

------------------
Gene Schmidt
'74 X-18 "Chi Chi"

PaulO
06-26-2000, 03:56 PM
Gene,
Does SECO have a website? If not, how about a phone number.
Thanks,
PaulO

FASTEDDIE
06-26-2000, 04:29 PM
OK guys. Engines and more engines. I have heard of three people on this site that have bought and paid for high performance engines and got a poor job. Lets not name names but lets get a good lead to a great engine builder. His name is Jason Saris and he is located in Bolton Landing,on Lake George,N.Y.
His phone is 518-644-3080 and he can build you and engine, probably the best in the east coast and ship it right to your backyard. One of his boats will run next month at the Lake Tahoe Poker Run in Las Vegas,July 8th & 9th. The boat is a 32 foot skater called "King Sting" owned and driven by James Denooyer of Lake George. Two 1300 horsepowered engines running on Cam 2 and the boat rigging and both engines have been customed built by Jason Saris and his partner, RickGage of Performance Marine of Bolton Landing,New York. This boat is going to see 170 miles per hour. Yep. you heard right. F-16 canopied this is a pleasure boat just out of the gate and could very well be the fastest boat in the world. Keep your eyes on the Lake Tahoe Poker Run and watch the boys from Bolton(population 1600) run.
We know engines on Lake george. Standard 502 is 415 hp from factory, give it to Jason,he
will get it to 575 HP. Check out their website and if you call to modify or upgrade your machine ,tell Jason you heard about him from Fasteddie.

www.perfmar.com (http://www.perfmar.com)

FASTEDDIE LG DONZI CLASSIC CLUB

------------------
FASTEDDIE

[This message has been edited by FASTEDDIE (edited 06-26-2000).]

RickSE
06-26-2000, 05:50 PM
FastEddie, any idea how I can find out more info the Poker Run at Lake Mead? I can't find a thing on the web. If nothing else I'll call the recreation area up there.

FASTEDDIE
06-26-2000, 06:21 PM
Sorry Rick, my error, its lake Tahoe Poker Run on July 8th and on the 9th the fastest boat from one end of the lake to the other will be run. Those interested in finding out more information can send a fax to (408)358-6288 Poker Runs West

FASTEDDIE

------------------
FASTEDDIE

FASTEDDIE
06-26-2000, 08:25 PM
Scott,

If you think "Deadbeats" is funny, checkout
"Lori's FAQ"on Performance Marine website.

FASTEDDIE

[This message has been edited by FASTEDDIE (edited 06-27-2000).]

GEOO
06-27-2000, 08:38 AM
Newest update; Engine is complete!! Yah http://206.150.187.82/ubb/smile.gif Goes to Dyno Tomorrow. I'm keeping my fingers crossed all goes well. If so, I'll have the motor, Monday ??. GEOO

GeneS
06-27-2000, 08:41 AM
PaulO,

Try 411 in Panama City for SECO Performance. I'm sure they do not have a website.

------------------
Gene Schmidt
'74 X-18 "Chi Chi"

GEOO
06-27-2000, 08:56 AM
How much power do you think my Small Block will make on the Dyno?? Do you think it could make 600hp?? GEOO

RickR,GroveCity
06-27-2000, 09:57 AM
GEOO
Are you going to use your Stainless Marine Exhaust during the Dyno test?
What is your static compression?
What do you expect the peak hp RPM to be?

------------------

Jamesbon
06-27-2000, 10:06 AM
Paulo,

SECO
1151 E 15th St
Panama City, FL 32405
(850) 769-2239

Thanks...Nathan

PaulO
06-27-2000, 11:34 AM
Thanks

GEOO
06-27-2000, 02:37 PM
Rick, Using Stainless Marine Exhaust during testing, 10:1, Peak hp 6200rpm, I would like to prop the boat for 5800 rpm's. GEOO

GEOO
06-29-2000, 02:39 PM
Engine Up Date. My Cutler didn't cut it!!! could only tune up to 3000 rpm's. The computer has a base Map. The mechanic said what the heck let's do a run on the dyno anyway. The first run hit 530hp running very rich. The second run it broke a rocker arm. The saga goes on!!! http://206.150.187.82/ubb/frown.gif This is getting old!!!GEOO

Jamesbon
06-29-2000, 03:39 PM
GEOO,
I feel your pain!! Better to break a rocker arm on the dyno, that miles out at sea.

My saga continues also.....I'm taking my engine back to the machinist so he can fix his mistakes.......

Nathan

GEOO
06-30-2000, 05:36 AM
Has anyone had any experience with Speed-Pro's ECU, (Brain for Fuel Injection). It's a Lap Top programable unit which uses a wide band O2 sensor and can run in a closed loop mode at full Throttle,(self correcting Fuel/Air mixture) GEOO

PaulO
06-30-2000, 08:17 AM
Geoo,
Can't help on the speed-pro question but, where can you mount an O2 sensor in the jacketed exhaust?
PaulO

GeneD
06-30-2000, 08:38 AM
I do believe that this is Emmo's area.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

GEOO
06-30-2000, 12:47 PM
Paul, I sent my Pipes back to Stainless Marine. For $ 50.00; Brownie said they would weld in bungs for the O2 sensor. Maybe this would stop the soot on the transom? GEOO

Emmo
07-05-2000, 10:44 PM
I'm not the fuel injection expert but I do know that Pleasure Craft (PCM) (http://www.pleasurecraft.com/Intro_to_PCM/intro_to_pcm.html) did without the O2 sensor when they adapted the Ford EFI for the GT-40 351 marine engine. I've been interested in getting some of their parts to build an injection on my next marine motor and also using the injector manifold and other parts from Ford Motorsports MASS system. All of the PCM engines rotate opposite of the standard Ford rotation, so I'm still trying to figure out if it will work if adapted to an engine that rotates in the normal direction. I've got to worry about the camshaft and the distributor when it comes to the direction of the rotation. Since the manifold is aluminum, I will probably have it HP coated. The new engine will be a 418 CI Windsor (351W with 400M crank and .080 bore). This is a Y2K+1 adventure so is a long way off. If I could find a St. Tropez that needs a new engine, I would like to put this engine in it and find an Arneson veggimatic drive. Anybody think its possible to coax 70 mph out of a St. Tropez? Anybody know where one is that needs a new engine & drive? And yes, Forrest, I would definitely add a huge teak swim platform, not only to keep swimmers from being diced, sliced and turned into Julienne fries, but this would be my Gulf Coast dive boat. Therefore it will need fully closed circuit cooling (man the manifolds are going to be expensive!). Crane makes a nice marine hydraulic roller cam. I could go on, but my wallet just jumped off of the table and scurried away in total fright. http://206.150.187.82/ubb/biggrin.gif

http://www.pleasurecraft.com//Intro_to_PCM/GT-40__1_.JPG

------------------
Emmo mailto:emmette@emmette.comemmette@emmette.com</A>

[This message has been edited by Emmo (edited 07-05-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Emmo (edited 07-05-2000).]

BillG
07-06-2000, 02:57 PM
Are you sure all PCM engines turn right handed ? Mine turns left. Do you think that .080 over bore on a 351 is safe? I don't think I would try that.