PDA

View Full Version : Holley Marine Fuel Pump Question

Craig
06-16-2000, 11:27 AM
As recommended here previously, I purchased a new Holley Marine Fuel Pump from Summit Racing. My question is, has anyone who has used or is using one of these on a 351 Ford had a problem with it fitting due to the closeness of the oil filter? (Application is in a '69-16') The guy at Summit tells me you can turn the clock positions of the inlet and outlet of a lot of the Holleys, and it looks like you could do that. The model is HLY-712-289 -- it has a bunch of allen heads around the housing that look like you could remove them and rotate the ports to another position. As is, there doesn't seem to be enough room to get a 3/8" fitting on the oil filter side (even if I used a 90 right out of the pump). If you can change the position it looks like it will work fine on the oil filter side. Does anybody know if it will turn the other side into the engine block too much to, then, get a fitting on the other side? I'm away from the boat right now and won't be able to check it out until later. I figured if someone knew, it might save me one more of the so familiar "upside down, blood rushing to your head" visits to the underside front of the engine in a 16. Its funny when I bought this boat 15 yrs ago I thought "Cool no pollution junk, etc. this will be really easy to work on" ...Right! Thanks for any help!

AVickers
06-16-2000, 01:26 PM
I've not done one of these w/ a Ford -- only on a Chevy. But my recollection was that you can index the the inlet and outlet all the way around the periphery of the pump body to clear just about anything. In my case, I had a clearance problem w/ a stringer. Just figure out where you want stuff to be in relationship to the mounting flange and move things around.

When loosening or tightening the allen screws, be sure to do it evenly in a crossing pattern around the base of the pump so that you don't stress, bind or twist things.

kevin
06-16-2000, 05:34 PM
Craig, I also have a 68 16ft. I will share with you the ultimate must have tool if you own a 16ft. donzi. With this cool combination tool I have changed timeing chain, oil, fuel pump, bilge pump, and plugs, all with out ever standing on my head. With this tool even the most impossible task can be performed in tight spaces. You will not find this tool on the net, or with Snap On or Craftsman, but you can walk out on your porch on a summer afternoon and find it mowing his fathers lawn next door to your place or across the street. I have a neighbor kid who in exchange for a little attention, a cold soda and an occasional boat ride will climb down in the engine compartment and perform the task of my hands.. He is the greatest tool i have added to my collection since i purchased the Donzi. Get one and your problems are solved.

Forrest
06-17-2000, 01:03 PM
Kevin, you just can't beat "little kid" labor in a 16's engine compartment. Some little kids can even fit up under the gunwale between the hull and the cockpit bulkhead to tighten those impossible to reach grab-rail fittings. A five-dollar bill goes a long way with these youngsters!

------------------
Forrest

[This message has been edited by Forrest (edited 06-17-2000).]

GeneD
06-17-2000, 09:36 PM
I maost overwhelmingly agree that a child of very small girlfriend can do these types of installations, tightenings, removals.
Donzi girl has been invaluable in this respect. She is able to crawl in the most inaccessable spots and do the job at hand.
I, however, have been able to illict the talents of a minor to do the job at hand. Thus I must pay, in one form or another, the smallest person around at the time, wages of DonziGirl. And it is an emormous price to pay. But the job does get done.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

Craig
06-19-2000, 11:44 AM
Thanks guys for the help/advice. Kevin, I have a 9 yr. old boy; just the right size for the tight maintenance jobs you described. Trouble is, so far, he's more interested in riding in the boat than working on it. I've been thinking of creative ways to bring out the "motor-head" in him!!! Once this is achieved I should be o.k. Trouble is he's growing!