PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice on 1972 18'

covington99
06-14-2000, 11:31 AM
I found an 18' classic for sale at a marina in the area this past weekend and now I've got it into my head that this would be a really neat boat to own. Resulting research led me to this board and many other Donzi Classic sites so I'm looking for some advice from you (obviously) well-informed owners and fans.

Boat is advertised as a 1972 (how do you distinguich between years?) (its red with headlights in the bow of the hull (were they an option?) A brief look at the boat has shown some usual wear and tear although no obvious big rework. Interior has been re-upholstered and looks pretty clean. There is a windscreen that appears to be yellowed from the sun. There is no stripe (that I can recall) so it may have been repainted. The motor is advertised as a marine 5.7 litre making it a 350 chev or 351 ford. (where do I look to determine which it is?) Outdrive is a volvo (260? does that make sense?) Gauges need some clean up work but appear functional and there appeared to be an alpine stereo in it (although it seems to have disappeared.)

What sort of things should I look for when I get serious about looking over this boat?

What sort of tests (compression, rev etc.)are usual to perform on motors et. al. before making a offer? Can you remove the top sides to inspect the interior of the hull? it wasn't obvious to me how that was done...

Oh yes the asking price is roughly $4,000 including the trailer.

Thanks in advance for any guidance and I hope to shortly join the Donzi Classic fan club!

Cheers

boxy
06-14-2000, 09:52 PM
Hi Covington99, I think I spent an hour looking at that boat a couple of weeks ago. You can call me in Ottawa at 745-2044. If it is the boat I looked at, I can give you some heads up advice, if it's not well maybe I can help also.

------------------
boxy
mailto:sboxma@sprint.casboxma@sprint.ca</A>
Smuggler's Cove
Ontario