PDA

View Full Version : Volvo 270 trim motor

Blewbyu
06-11-2000, 02:28 AM
My 270 trim motor just went South.Doesn't do anything now, no up, no down, switch ok.The repair manual shows a relay box with both up and down relays......but guess what...no relay box in MY boat! Just wire.And not real big wire at that...mebbe 12 gauge.It's the "old style" tilt only motor- worm drive, and would barely lift the outdrive in the water, and would NOT lift more than halfway when out of the water. Is that is good as it gets??? Do I need to take out a loan to buy a new motor? Can I get by w/used or rebuilt? and finally...do I need to install relays to get mo' power to da motor? It sure looks too puny to run the worm gear drive....
Wizards of wrench...lay some wisdom on me!

EricG
06-11-2000, 06:52 PM
I had a similar problem with my Merc pump about a month ago. After trying all troubleshooting techniques the manual described, I pulled the motor apart and discovered that the internal ground wire had broken off - a quick pop-rivit job, and it works great. Just another thing to check I suppose.

Eric G
Edmonds, WA

Blewbyu
06-12-2000, 04:46 AM
Scott- I have:
A. Yup
B. Yup
C. Yup
D. Yup
I just haven't removed the motor itself yet.Are they as puny as above mentioned when they in good working order? Believe I can get mine rebuilt locally- and I'll probably have to install relays....tho I don't want to.
Regards, Jeff

Jamesbon
06-12-2000, 08:31 AM
After years of constant unreliable operation, and many cuss words, I pulled the whole poorly designed tilt motor and shaft assembly, then capped off the through hull hole where the tilt motor and shaft used to reside. No more tilt, no nore problem. (No more shallow water operation either) I suppose one day I'll resurect the box of broken parts into a working unit, but for now, I'm happy.

kevin
06-12-2000, 10:14 PM
I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM ON MY 68. HAD THE MOTOR REBUILT AND IT WORKS FINE. IF YOU DONT WANT TO USE THE RELAYS JUST GO TO A LARGER SWITCH (AMP) AND LARGER WIRE (10AWG) FROM THE BAT. TO THE SWITCH, THE MOTOR DOES NOT PULL THAT MUCH IF GEARS ARE OILED PROPERLY, I HAVE SEEN BIGGER WINDSHIELD WIPER MOTORS. GOOD LUCK