PDA

View Full Version : Suggest a Donzi, any Donzi.

Lineleader
06-09-2000, 10:23 PM
This might prove interesting........A close friend of mine, who has never owned a boat, and is tired of hearing me talk about Donzi, finally told me he can't take it anymore. He is in the market for a Donzi. He's looked at a lot of other models and like the rest of us, has the D-Bug. He describes the Donzi to his wife as the "Harley Davidson" of boats (I think he's got it!)

Here's the dilemma: What model should a novice boater go for? He lives very close to the St. Johns river here in Jacksonville, and has easy access to the ocean. I would guess he's planning on doing a little bit of both, but not venturing too far from home. So that's it. How about making him feel welcome and suggesting some specifics for his intended use (hint: he really likes the "classics", and I would guess the $ range is under $14k). Thanks to all.

LL

jimmyc
06-09-2000, 10:33 PM
ok....i'll be the first to give my 2cents worth. depending on how many people are going to be involved in his "outings" i think he should look at an 18 or 22 classic. the 18 would be fine for the river and easy to pull....but speaking from experience th 22 is a hell of a lot of fun to dance with.... drive fast, take chances, run with scissors!
jimmy

FASTEDDIE
06-10-2000, 06:25 AM
I agree with Jimmy C.If you have financial
restraince than an 18 could be less expensive than a 22. My first was an 18 and after getting my first year of Donzi fun I rode in a 22. That was it. I ran home and put the 18 in the classifieds. If you can get to 22-502 on one leap or 5 buy and sells, thats your ultimate goal. How quick do you want to get there? Pay me now or pay me later.
FASTEDDIE

RickR,GroveCity
06-10-2000, 09:49 AM
If he is an ADULT http://206.150.187.82/ubb/eek.gif
MINE
http://www.seviervilletn.org/donzi2.jpg
http://www.seviervilletn.org/donzi.jpg

------------------
RickR mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

Crazy Horse
06-10-2000, 12:35 PM
One could not go wrong with either the 18 or 22. I think the 22 will do better in the ocean but the 18 (to me) is the better looking one. You mentioned Harley-the 18 is the Fat Boy-the true 'classic'.

AVickers
06-10-2000, 03:30 PM
Jeeeze, I can't stand it!

Donzis are fast, Harleys aren't...
Donzis are nimble, Harleys aren't...
Donzis are hearty, Harleys aren't...
Donzis are as technically up-to-speed as any of their rivals, Harleys aren't...
Donzis are sleek, even beautiful, Harleys aren't...

Sorry guys, I don't mean to piss anyone off, but I've had both and don't got no more Harley -- no more forever! What a sorry piece of sh*t that old Sportster was...

You know why they ride in groups, don't you? So someone will notice when something falls off...

Now, can you spell BMW? or Ducati? or Triumph?

Emmo
06-11-2000, 04:21 PM
My 2 cents.... I would be looking for a St. Tropez or El Pescador if I lived near the salt water.

------------------
Emmo mailto:emmette@emmette.comemmette@emmette.com</A>

Barry Phillips
06-12-2000, 07:52 AM
Harley, no way when I describe my 18 to my
non boater friends I compare it to a Cobra
or a 67 Vette that has evolved technologlicly
over time but has stayed the same. I compare
Don Aranow to Carol Shellby, both men had a
vision and gave thier sports and products
a chic and style that few could match. I
favor the Cobra analogy because the Cobra
is fast, nimble and never failes to attract
conversation. Did I mention the raceing the
strips. Older Donzis even came with Ford
power.
SO-SLO

PaulO
06-12-2000, 10:25 AM
I have pissed people off all of my semi-adult life with this but, I have to side with AVickers on this one. Calling a Donzi the Harley of Boats is like calling a Cosworth the Briggs and Stratton of race engines. As a matter of fact, Harley motors are the Briggs and Stratton of Motorcycle motors! Had 3 of them (slow learner). I am no longer a sucker for the marketing and "lifestyle" crap.
PaulO

Crazy Horse
06-12-2000, 07:26 PM
I'll go with the Donzi-Cobra/60's Vette comparison with no argument. I'll tell you though my wife and I were recently in Vegas and rented a Fat Boy and I found myself riding something with history, impact, sex appeal, and growl...I still see a similarity between Donzi & Harly but must tell you-only bike I ever owmed was a BMW...

Emmo
06-12-2000, 11:41 PM
I think my 18 2+3 is more like a Mustang convertible (also a 2+3). I had a '68 with a well-tuned small block Ford and I get the same feeling of well-being riding in my small-blocked powered Donzi as I did cruising in my Mustang. My long term goal is to build a 1970 GT350 convertible in yellow with a black stripe. I'll have a top made for it that matches my (new) Naugahyde tonneau on the Donzi and white seats that match the Bilt-Rites in the boat. http://206.150.187.82/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
Emmo mailto:emmette@emmette.comemmette@emmette.com</A>

slow learner
06-13-2000, 06:48 AM
I'm the guy looking for the boat. Didn't realize Lineleader had posted on my behalf. Thanks buddy.

So sorry to all of you faithful Donzi owners for the Harley analogy. I was just trying to give my wife something she could relate to, as she thinks Harleys are cool. No accounting for taste, I guess. She married me after all. I've also used the 'vette and 911 analogies. I thing the Shelby Cobra is a great one, but it would be lost on her. I'm only trying to get across to her the absolute coolness of Donzis. She likes bigger, cuddy cabin type boats, which I think are like Winnebagos. In any case, no insult intended.

So back to the topic at hand, what boat to buy? I really like the 18 2+3 (both Al Vickers(a 19?)and Rick R's boats look great). I've heard that Donzi has been through several owners. Are there certain years that I should steer clear of? Certain years that are better than others? What about the 29'? Better for a larger river like the St. Johns, as well as quick trips in the Atlantic?

Let me know. Thanks.

slow learner
06-13-2000, 06:49 AM
Sorry, that's supposed to be 20', not 29'.

jimmyc
06-13-2000, 09:01 AM
when i describe a donzi to people this is all i say.......it's like a beautiful women in a little black dress, it will never go out of style.

jimmy

Peter Beck
06-13-2000, 10:37 AM
We let me tell you my wife had a Harley on order for four years and it came in but I convinced her that we have two children to raise and that was most important. Somehow I got her convinced to let me purchase a 22 classic this winter. Well summer is here and she has been in the Donzi twice and does not like it. She has a problem of the way it tips when turning and porpoises sometimes. She grew up with ski boats and I am still trying to convince her this is the boat. I need no convincing. Well maybe someday she will come around.

Crazy Horse
06-13-2000, 01:19 PM
Peter:
Like your wife, my wife Trish doesn't like my 18 2+3 either. We had been looking at her choices too (mind you I wasn't going to buy one-I was looking). We looked at Cobalt, Crownline, etc. Anyway when I finally got her to check out the Donzi's she liked their new runabout. To me it's just not a Donzi. So I bought the 18 and then brought it home... She tolerates it under 50mph but over 50mph she's bumming.

AVickers
06-13-2000, 01:25 PM
"My first love/had to have it" Donzi was the first one I saw -- a 22 Classic. Actually, it may not have been the first one I saw, but it was certainly the first one I noticed.

Anway, I didn't think I could go the freight for what the 22s were selling for, so I compromised and bought an 18. Well, now I have one of each. I like the 22 when I'm out being a "big dog." And I like the 18 as a "recreational runner" on a small lake we have here. I'm selling the 18 'cause what I really need for the small lake is a ski boat [Yikes! http://206.150.187.82/ubb/eek.gif]. This to haul my kids around on tubes, planks of wood and bits of plastic.

If it were "one and only," (especially if there were some ocean running in your future) I'd go w/ a 22. It's just a more comfortable boat. But, skiing and other recreational stuff are difficult w/ this boat 'cause it's got a lot of freeboard that makes it really hard to get in and out of...

The ZX boats are way cool too, but they don't have that classic, Cobra/Vette/Stang look about 'em. Also, the Minx is a way cool boat -- and there's some out there w/ Big Blocks...

That's my 2 cents.

[This message has been edited by avickers (edited 06-13-2000).]

Kenn
06-13-2000, 05:26 PM
Crazy Horse,
Everyone has a method to avoid displeasing his wife.
I started out with a wooden lap streak outboard years ago and my wife liked the boating but not the work involved in going boating with a wooden boat. We sold that boat.
Then when we got the next boat it was an 18 Donzi Corsican and she loved the boat from the beginning. Of course taking care of a fiberglass boat was easy by comparison and she helped with whatever she could. I think she got to feel that it was our boat, no my boat. She wasn't happy about going over 50 +/- until we had children and 'they' only wanted to go fast and then faster and then Mom never complained about the speed again. It was the same with the exhaust noise, at first she hated it but when the children didn't complain, she never complained about the noise again either. In fact she now says she can recognize the sound of our engine from a mile or three away.

BTW were you on the east side off Governers island last Saturday about 5pm ?

Kenn http://206.150.187.82/ubb/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Kenn (edited 06-13-2000).]

Peter Beck
06-13-2000, 08:03 PM
Well it is refreshing to know we all have similar issues with pleasing the other half. I guess I can understand it is more of a man's toy. But I do think with time she will come to like it.After all she loves the looks. I do agree with you on the difficulty getting in and out of the boat and I am going to have to look into a platform or something. The other issue which I know was already a topic is the wind deflector. Can anyone steer me in the direction of who makes that windshield adder?
Peter

Crazy Horse
06-13-2000, 10:26 PM
Kenn: No that was not me buzzing Governor's Island recently. Although Sunday I'll be on the lake and will probably buzz the Island enroute to and from the Naswa. Any chance you'll be over there? There'll be a band playing from 3-6pm.

The biggest factor in Trish complaining about my 18 was the wind. She never complained about my motorcycles but in the Spring and Fall in NH that wind chill factor can be brutal. Over the winter I installed a windshield so hopefully this will help.

Peter Beck, check out www.windfoiler.com (http://www.windfoiler.com)
This deflector works well. My friend has one on his Checkmate and the beauty of it is it is easy to remove it when you do not want to use it.

Frank Civitano
06-14-2000, 05:47 AM
Not to sound wacky but ( Not my wife) She will do and go anywere in the Donzi, She liked the 16 better then the 22 because it got more air. Heres a woman that buys me things for the boat, Because she likes them. Like the new bezels in yellow. She was offered a ride on Jetset a 46 Skater with two helicopter jet engines. 160mph boat. I dont want her to go, When she gets back on mine she will want to go faster. As far as a comparison I agree with Avickers Corvette/Cobra.

------------------
Frank Civitano

RickR,GroveCity
06-14-2000, 08:48 AM
My wife has a good sense of humor after all she married me. She remains calm upto 60mph then this funny look comes over face and around 65 she gets very noisy. At 68 she digs her nails into my left knee, I slow down then (too painful).

Her biggest complaint was her eyes watering so we bought some high quality sunglasses. Sure made a big difference.

When I get ready to go to the lake I ask Tommie if she wants to go. I want her to go with me, she is my trailer backer and we have a great time. But if she doesn't want to go, I go play with the boys and she does her own thing.

BTW My philosophy is;
"If you're going to make her mad, might as well make her REAL mad, The punishment is the same!" http://206.150.187.82/ubb/rolleyes.gif

For all you better 1/2s reading this her email address is
tmhats@aol.com

------------------
RickR mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

Kenn
06-14-2000, 09:11 AM
Crazy Horse,
Not this weekend.
We will be at the Lake George dust off.
Maybe the following week..?

Kenn

ART
06-14-2000, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Lineleader:
This might prove interesting........A close friend of mine, who has never owned a boat, and is tired of hearing me talk about Donzi, finally told me he can't take it anymore. He is in the market for a Donzi. He's looked at a lot of other models and like the rest of us, has the D-Bug. He describes the Donzi to his wife as the "Harley Davidson" of boats (I think he's got it!)

Here's the dilemma: What model should a novice boater go for? He lives very close to the St. Johns river here in Jacksonville, and has easy access to the ocean. I would guess he's planning on doing a little bit of both, but not venturing too far from home. So that's it. How about making him feel welcome and suggesting some specifics for his intended use (hint: he really likes the "classics", and I would guess the $ range is under $14k). Thanks to all.

LL

Crazy Horse
06-14-2000, 06:55 PM
Mad Poodle, you are right. I did think about that the first time I read the post but it got by me. You make a very good point.

Blewbyu
06-20-2000, 02:05 PM
Donzi is the Ferrari of boats! Owned by kings and potentates, and even some impotent tates.Known the world over for it's inordinately sexy lines, mostly good manners, and real BAAAAAD speed habits!Even tho the Donzis scare the hell outta them, women LOVE the boats!Any idea why guys buy Donzis?????
regards-Uncle Jeffrey

Bad-Tat
04-27-2002, 09:40 PM
Slow,
If you decide you want to go down to a 16 I have one for sale. Moved up to a 22 but the 16 is a blast to drive. Emmo says I drive it like a jet ski. All kinds of fun with the wakes of the larger boats at Lake Eufala.

Sagbay32
04-27-2002, 10:05 PM
I have thought about these for my Wife. I Haven't ordered any yet.

Windaway (http://www.windaway.com)

RedDog
04-27-2002, 10:17 PM
so this thread started in 2000. I guess Lineleader never bought a Donzi?

clayman
04-27-2002, 10:45 PM
Sue from Bilt -Rite told me that the "2+3" as in Donzi Classic 18' 2+3 meant two buckets plus a three piece rear seat. I thought that was a bit interesting , I always thought it meant 2 in the front and three people in the back, sorry about the off topic reply
James