PDA

View Full Version : How did we get to professional towing services?

Formula Jr
03-11-2002, 05:50 AM
There is a new aspect to boating that really eats at my soul, and forgive me for this rant, but I have to puke at what has happened to the boating community.

It has to do with professional towing services.

There was a time and place when, boating was a Brotherhood. By that I mean, you made the effort, you watched eachother's backs. And you foregave an action done with good intention. Somewhere in the mid 80's that all changed. My understanding, an understanding that will never change as long as I live, is if a pleasure boat needs assistance, YOU provide it. No questions asked, thats just the way it is. Even if it ruins your day and even if it puts you at risk of a suit.

The professional towing services have used the "You're going to get suied" aurgument, to drive a wedge between US; The Boating Brotherhood. And to develope an entire other class of psudo-professionals that we now have designated as the proper authority to deal with vessels in distress. And they pull in the all the old salvage laws - Laws that were designed for cargo ships - to place liens and allow them to make on site decisions that you may not agree with.

In my world, these pleasure boat towing services would not exist...... Period.

I don't undestand how we got this way. I don't want to boat this way. And I'm not going to change. If someone needs assistance. I will never second guess the consequences, regardless of the fear mongering these tow services use. I will render assistance, its my obligation to the brotherhood of boaters. And no new class of professionals is going to come between that.

ALLAN BROWN
03-11-2002, 07:18 AM
I was writing a story called "License to Steal", but the magazines didn't want it, because the services are advertisers. My friend Jack Beachem, who owns Lazy Days on Lake Lanier got a bill from Key Largo Tow Boats US for $165,000 for towing him a couple of miles after a light and still floating grounding. He didn't want to dock at Ocean Reef on one engine, so he called the towing service. The had him sign a LLoyds Open Form. When the got to the dock (After towing him across the same reef again) the guy was going to padlock the boat to the dock until Jack coughed up. Fortunately, Jack beat it in the end, but some people cave in and pay. Buncha bastards!

Cuda
03-11-2002, 07:38 AM
I agree. I have towed a few boats back in, and I have been towed once or twice. If anyone needs a tow, and I can provide it, I will render assistance. Sometimes after towing someone in, they will want to pay me for it, I always decline and ask that they just pass the help on to the next boater they see that needs it. I have SeaTow myself nowdays. It makes me more comfortable knowing it is there when I need it, and I don't have to mess up someone else's day. I also have it because sometimes when fishing way offshore, there aren't a lot of boats around to provide help.

roadtrip se
03-11-2002, 10:04 AM
Three towing stories:

Last summer at Cumberland. Towed a dead jet boat from all the way up in Caney Cove to Jamestown Dock. Distance of about fifteen miles and it took forever. I did let them put some gas in my tank.

Two weeks ago on Possum Kingdom. Dead Wellcraft floating into the fishing trees and people's wakes pushing him there even quicker. Idiot in a center counsole blasts by us when we are almost to the docks and takes the last spot. When we got
to within hearing range, I slowly and firmly articulated that I needed to place this dead boat where he was, because he had no power. DUH. He moved.

Two summers ago. Memorial day and first time in for the season with the Fountain. Don't get too far before I realized that both impellors were toast. A Baja helped me troubleshoot and drug me back to the dock. Last time I made fun of anybody's brand choice in boats.

The golden rule applies every time in my book. Towing services and the courts can kiss my ....

Todd

Formula Jr
03-11-2002, 05:18 PM
Allan, I would love to read that article. That's what the Web is for. You can still publish it here, under first rights and retain the ability to sell second rights later on. The fact that no Boat Mag would pick it up, is part of the whole story. Maritime Law should, and has to change to adapt to the new class of pleasure boats. Alot of states have "Good Sam" laws that will limit liability to anyone that offers help. I think we need this sort of thing for boaters. That way, the towing services can't intimidate people to the point that they will just ignor simple requests for help.
What I see, is that these services are driving a wedge of fear between people that isn't founded. They make outragious claims that the average boater just isn't capable of performing a simple service and cite extemetly rare cases where a problem happened. Then they justify their fees by stating some hypothetical situation that only they are prepared for. The whole thing is laughable. When was the last time you ever heard of a 24 foot, twin outboard, center console saving a cargo ship? They take laws designed for elephants and apply them to mice. In a way, this makes boating MORE dangerious, cause you have to wait for the service to arrive instead of just asking around on the VHF for someone local. I was really shaken by how pervasive and effective the tow services have instilled this fear last time I was on The Bay. I'm not buying it. Its MY RIGHT, MY PLEASURE and MY OBLIGATION to render help if asked. These towing services are tearing apart a compact, a covent if you will, that once set boaters above the common selfishness of the Land-lubber. We have to take that compact back, and show them that they are impotent in their efforts to divide us.

Sorry for the rant guys - this just burns my butt. :mad:

RH
03-11-2002, 05:38 PM
Owen, no apologies needed for your commentary! I grew up here in the sticks (midwest) Actually in the middle of the corn fields with a few nice lakes tossed in for something to do! We always pulled up to anyone that was stalled out in the lake, and there were times when we needed a tow. This BS excuse of liability is getting old! Common sense is becoming uncommon.
RH

olredalert
03-11-2002, 06:02 PM
Geez Brownie,

--------As many times as I was towed in at the Sarasota show Id probably owe a half million or so!!!!Thanks to the many who came to my rescue.........just......poor ol red!

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
03-11-2002, 06:22 PM
I was one of two Donzi's towed in at AOTHI, while others started on the keg!
First by a total stranger, then the VA Boys relieved him and took me home.

We helped a young couple this past Saturday who drifted in the mud on the intercoastal and towed a few last year.

What goes around comes around... And I am glad it does... I am sure I have many future tows to give and receive...

Oh, and I can't count the ones that turn their head when they see a broke boat, not in my heart to leave someone stranded. Plus it is the law!
Bryan

Rootsy
03-11-2002, 06:59 PM
Ya know i have to agree with all of this. Few years back my uncle's boat was taking on water 5 miles out in lake Erie. bilge hose came off, water was coming in when the waves hit the boat, small leak really, no REAL danger but nerve wrecking enough. Lake Erie Towing towed him back to port. when they arrived at the marina my father and i were there waiting for them and what transpired astonished us all... they wanted salvage rights to the boat because he called them while taking on water. He has boats US towing insurance and figured that'd cover it but they literally wanted to take his boat with them if he wasn't going to sign their form and pay up then and there to the tune of something like 3000 dollars. luckily he was friends with the marina owner who happened to be there so the boat wasn't going anywhere and in the end the towing company left empty handed and he had to retain a lawyer to get it all straightened out. After all was said and done the insurance company ended up covering the tow, the salvage bit was dropped... still what a bunch of crooked AHEM... i;ll watch my french...

i personally have no issues helping a fellow boater in distress and i would want the same if i was stranded... actually i was glad last year when i had a brain fart and ran out of gas... that'll teach ya to trust those gauges you spent a lotta dollars on... that autometer is a bit more accurate than the vdo that was in her originally...

Steven Cohn
03-12-2002, 09:47 AM
My Roget's II Thesaurus lists a few synonyms for the following:
Sea Tow: Pirates
Boat Tow US: Pirates

My faith floats with fellow pleasure boaters, local DNR Police and the US Coast Guard and CG Aux.

Donzified
03-12-2002, 10:27 AM
A friend of mine who was working for the local vulchure {salvage co.} told me to never admit you have fuel problems when needing a tow.Running out of gas opens up a ugly can of worms,just say you have engine troubles{if your out of gas you DO have engine troubles}.The coast guard has a problem with the towing companies.If they help you the vulchures complain they are taking money from them.If you have a child aboard or are taking on water or are in danger they are more ready to help.DO NOT SAY YOUR OUT OF GAS OVER THE RADIO.

doug hess
03-13-2002, 07:20 PM
These sea going vultures came into being when G Bush Sr under the guise of triming Big government and letting private enterprise do it better. restricted the Cost Guard to life saving activities.

The same ploy was used when the public bought the concept of keeping Big Government out of your medical decisions and the Clinton medical program was killed. Now the insurance companies dictate your medical care and what the doctors and hospital can do.

At least you can complain to your congress person about the USCG

RPD
03-14-2002, 08:09 PM
Doug.. you are right but I thought it all started before big bush came in..... anyway, it was in the 80's and used the line that the private sector was more efficient....

Of course there was some justification, all those landlubbers who thought boats are like cars... if you break down, run out of gas, etc, you just walk to the station or call AAA.... the CG was spending a fortune towing in idiots for stupid reasons.... there should be a minimum IQ for buying a boat...

Anyway, I agree... the cardinal rule of the sea is that you always lend assistance to a boat in distress, anytime, anywhere, including putting yourself and your boat at risk if the other boat and souls are at risk...PERIOD... I will always abide by that because I couldn't live with myself if I didn't.

harbormaster
03-14-2002, 10:14 PM
In our area we have a service provided by "Boat US". It is similar to Sea Tow but has been getting high marks..