PDA

View Full Version : Superchargers

CDMA
06-07-2000, 08:48 AM
I have been flipping through some of my Hot boat magazines and I keep seeing these Jets and V drives with regualar 6-71 ans 10-71 style blowers on the engines. A couple of questions I do not understand are how they keep the engine from injesting salt water. Is the scoop facing backwards or something? Also can that possibbly be legal? And are they water cooled? I know the prochargers are cooled by an intercooler but what about these.

Thanks Guys

Chris

seano
06-07-2000, 09:12 AM
Those are generally lake boats, so salt water isn't a problem. Also, most people who run blowers usually are running intercoolers and in some cases a high-rise manifold. When the carbs are bolted to the top the the blower they are actually quite high! Also, given their low freeboard, I doubt that these guys can even go out on the water if there is even a slight chop. I have never see an air cleaner or scoop facing backwards though. I've worked on many blown offshore boats from a single engine 27 Fountain to a triple engine 47 Apache and everything in between. BDS is probably the best, although I think there are some out there will probably disagree. B&M, Mooneyham and Littlefield also make good blowers, and a friend of mine has a set of Blowershop blowers which he's not real thrilled with.

Cheers