PDA

View Full Version : Rub rail

Emmo
06-06-2000, 02:37 PM
I need to replace the rub rail on my Mello Yello (18 2+3 barrel-back) and I would also like to put some of the white stuff like GeneD has behind the rub rail on 007. Where can I get the white stuff? It is like a white impact-absorbing plastic strip that has a groove for the rail. Is there anything I need to know about removing the railing (like will the hull and the top become separated if I take it all off at once)? How do you bend it in the curve of the barrel-back and make it look right?

------------------
Emmo mailto:emmette@emmette.comemmette@emmette.com</A>

[This message has been edited by Emmo (edited 06-06-2000).]

CDMA
06-06-2000, 06:01 PM
Emmo,

The rubrail uses seperate screws than the hull so that it will not seperate the hull to deck joint when you remove it. I have mine off and am going to replace it and am going through the same how do I bend it thoughts. I am thinking of a Paul O suggested jig. Also I am unfamiliar with the absorbing material you are referring to. Would you be so kind to enlighten me.

Thanks

Chris

FASTEDDIE
06-06-2000, 07:55 PM
I updated my 18 from the old aluminum rub rail to the new type.May I suggest black rub rail because the white shows every mark and the black always looks new.My local dealer did it but three guys were involved.They marked the screw holes with pencil marks
above the old rail.Donzi sells the pieces
in 25 foot pieces because you may need 50 ft for an 18.Measure your old one.Freight is very expensive because of its length.To save
freight money I asked the dealer to have the rail parts shipped with a new boat to the dealership so it cost almost nothing since the donzi carrier brought it instead of a standard trucker.They heated the rail with a torch and the rubber inner bumper with a hair dryer but putting it on straight is an art.If I tried it, the rail would have gone up and down.Tip - use a little longer than original stainless steel screws to bite in the old screw holes.Stagger rubber bumper stop lines from rail stop lines.Good Luck.
FASTEDDIE

------------------

GeneS
06-07-2000, 09:00 AM
I replaced my old aluminum with new. You can get the correct shape from West, Boat US or whomever. Bending is easy since it is soft aluminum. Use a rubber mallet and take your time.

------------------
Gene Schmidt
'74 X-18 "Chi Chi"

seano
06-07-2000, 09:21 AM
Eddie,

If you used TACO, you can actually clean it with acetone---the marks come right out. If you have some sort of insert, I would be careful though.

I used stainless on my cigarette and it was tough. The bends were difficult and I used several layers of duct tape on the corners of the boat to protect it. Using a rubber mallet is a good idea and yes, the key is to take your time.

Hey, has anyone seen ship shape tv on speedvision? They are re-doing a Bertram Moppie now and putting alot of time, money and effort into it. they did a segment on installing the rubrail and actually made a jig for the bow of the boat and used clamps to do the bending.---sounds great, but very time-consuming. I wouldn't have the patience for that!

Emmo
06-07-2000, 01:56 PM
Hey GeneD, give up the info on the stuff you got from Sea Ray! Does it have a Sea Ray part number? Where do they get it from?

------------------
Emmo mailto:emmette@emmette.comemmette@emmette.com</A>

Hotboat
06-07-2000, 10:21 PM
Just put new Taco 3/4" alum. J rail moulding on my Classic 18. Ordered 12' lengths directly from Taco. If you need the number I will try to locate. With the alum moulding you do not need a jig. Bends easily with a little help from a rubber mallet. I notched the inside of the J on the square corners of the transom to help the bend lay flat. Just used the 1' Taco on my Century. Tad bit harder to bend.

------------------
Hotboat

GeneD
06-08-2000, 07:52 AM
Emmo,
Sorry I haven';t returned your email concerning this all important topic.
Forget S/R. Mine came out the back door and was scheduled for a yacht. In honesty, I feel that my gunwale molding is too wide, remember this when ordering yours. I HAVE seen this same stuff for sale in various marine catalogs.
The molding is white PVC with a SST insert. It's very effective. I love the way the boat can make an impact on say, a channel marker! and not get all bent and sorry looking. It really is very durable.
And here is a little tid bit, this is the same molding used on the new Donzis. You may be able to call and get a P/N from them, or maybe order it thru them. You'll need 50 feet.
As far as bending to fit.
The transom is screwed into the center of the bend, then bent and screwed to the next hole, then repeat until you get to the corners. The corners are bent without regard to kinks that will appear under and above the bend. This will be taken care of later. The same goes for the bow section, just bend and screw.
Sounds kinky don't it??
After the PVC has been attached all around the boat. The same procedure is followed with the SST insert.
After doing it a bit, it gets easier and easier. You will need two people for this whole installation. It seems to be nearly impossible for one person to do.
The kinks in the PVC at the bends is taken care of with a heat gun. Heat until the plastic begins to soften, then using a flat piece of wood, hold the kink down flat until the plastic sets. This is the easiest procedure in the whole deal, and very satisfying in that you can see it comes out perfect looking. As if it were molded prior to installation. A custom fit if you may.
The SST insert installation is the same as the PVC. Of course, you have to stagger the seams. But the procedure of bending and screwing is the same. The bow plastic and the SST were anchored into the bow first, held in place by one person, and bent by the other person. Then quickly screwed into place. I can remember that we used a piece of 2x4 and a hammer to flatten the bend in the SST at the bow and the corners at the transom. This can all be done in say an hour, hour and a half.
Another little secret is to use 5200 on the screw tips and Wal-Mart White Silicone underneath the molding. And there is another secret to make that look factory. Email me for that.
I can give you step by step instructions if you need it, not to worry.
If you were here with the goods, I would do it for you. I only charge a twelve pack of Bud Light for most Donzi repairs taking less than 2 hours. I can't work longer than the beer lasts.
Good luck.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida