PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Engine for 1987 Z-21

DTM
03-09-2002, 03:21 PM
I am thinking about purchasing a 1987 Z-21 that the engine needs replacement. As I have replaced engines in cars, I do not think that this will be too hard compared to that.

I am either thinking of buying a "crate" engine or building one from the block that is currently in the boat.

Any input / ideas will be helpful.

Thanks,

DTM

EricG
03-10-2002, 09:52 AM
I can't speak about replacing the engine....but I can recommend the boat! Nothing but good things to say about the Z21's.

One thing to consider with your engine project - most likely a 1987 has an Alpha drive (unless you were lucky and someone else put a bravo on it), if so, keep in mind you don't want to build anything too radical to put in front of that alpha - I've heard somewhere around 350HP is about the upper limit....

Also, the one advantage the Z's have over the classics is a HUGE engine compartment - should make a swap very easy!!

Good Luck!

EG
1988 Z21
http://www.donzi.net/photos/egudgel12.jpg

MR MAGOO
03-10-2002, 02:44 PM
If your going to go the crate motor route try 1 800 runsnew, they are excellent to deal with and the prices can`t be beat!. I bought a pair of 454HO marine crate motors from them for a Fountain I had a few years ago and I was very happy with them.

ToonaFish
03-10-2002, 09:54 PM
Is this the yellow Z21 on Hwy 41 in Kennesaw? I nearly caused an accident doing a Uturn last week to look at it! Even at supersonic speeds, it's hard to miss.

Bunches,

Celene 'but officer, it's a Donzi'