PDA

View Full Version : DONZI Steering recall notice/GREAT BAY DAY!

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
03-09-2002, 02:10 PM
Well, the 26ZX rocked today, did a couple hours in the bay, 2 footers very choppy/confussed seas.
Man what an awesome run.
Lessons learned:
-Too much armor-all on my bolsters for rough water, I be sliding up and down!
-Tennis shoes provide traction better than bear feet in rough water!

Hooked up with 3 new PQ 340's in our club....
And we burn't some gas! Did not see below 4000 all day! Top speed of the day at 4800 RPM was 65.1 mph GPS. Hands were too busy holding on to focus on WOT RPMS, so I stayed conservative at 4800.

RECALL: If you have external steering there is a fluid issue, obviously dangerous, "possible loss of steering." Laythems are OK, WPM brands have determined the fluid is not compatible, internal breakdown of components etc...
If ya want more details email and I will email or fax the letter to ya.
Gotta go wash the boat!
Bryan

mattyboy
03-09-2002, 02:24 PM
sounds like a good day, except for the recall.
please post some pics,got landlubber fever real bad,gonna take the canoe out and have the boy make engines sounds while he paddles me around
eek! eek!

Matt

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
03-09-2002, 03:15 PM
MattyBoy...
I haven't gotten any pictures from the buds yet, I will see them all tonight at one of our partys.

The recall did not effect us, we have Laythem not Warlock, thank goodness... You would think Donzi would know what was on my hull number (goodies), that $4 certified envelope was a watse of good money! But at least they sent it which shows me they are on top of things.
Bryan

Shanghied Again
03-09-2002, 07:02 PM
Bryan, We recieved the letter Today, Thank god we have Lathiem.

RickSE
03-11-2002, 09:12 AM
I heard this all started when a 45ZX ran aground in Mexico after loosing it's Warlock steering.

CharlieTuna
03-11-2002, 10:22 AM
My dealer told me that there was also a 45ZX
at lake of the Ozarks that lost it steering and ran into a seawall at hi speed, is that the same
steering system that is being recalled? WPM??
Is that system used on other Donzi models too?

RickSE
03-11-2002, 10:42 AM
I never did hear the full story on the 45ZX at LOA. I know the driver fell out and the boat kept going.

roadtrip se
03-11-2002, 10:53 AM
I've got one of these certified letters at the post office waiting for me and I've only got internal hydraulics on the 01 Classic. No ram steering, WPM or Latham. Guess I'd better pick up the hood and start looking for W's. Hope I don't find any....

Todd

AVickers
03-11-2002, 12:18 PM
Hmmm,

This goes to my post under Hydraulic Steering options for Volvos...

No backup! On any of them...

At least w/ the MerCruiser hydraulic-boosted steering you have a cable. It might pull hard, but at least you can steer the damned thing! (If boats are running into stuff, then you have a problem that's much worse than the inconvenience of getting towed home.)

Sean
03-12-2002, 10:46 AM
I got my letter today. We got Donzi to ok the chage of our fluid before the letter. It appears Donzi was not using the correct fluid during the install. The WPM representative we talked to a couple of months ago stated they have been trying to get Donzi to have this problem addressed. This letter sounds overdue from the stories I've heard from other boaters. I'll stick to the WPM steering and see how it handles this year. If I encounter any problems I'll post them.

The other 33ZX I owned had Latham. The steering handled well except at idle. It wouldn't respond at times. Not fun when docking. I'm glad it didn't fail me in tight situations. From my limited experience with the WPM steering, I've been impressed.

Sean

mjpcowboy
03-12-2002, 11:08 AM
The 45ZX the ran on shore at the Lake of the Ozarks had Latham steering on it. Warlock (WPM) supplies steering systems for many performance boat companies including many that are high HP racers. The problem seems to be that some of the Warlock steering systems had ATF fluid in them causing it to foam up at high tempatures, buy running non ATF fluid in them this is not a problem. I know of three ZX's running with Warlock steering for quite some time with no issues. Stay tuned I don't think this will turn out to be a big problem. Have a great boating season. Rick :)