PDA

View Full Version : 350 update

Sam
03-09-2002, 01:30 PM
Well the motor is back to gether and I am just finishing painting all the bolt on dodads, what a pain in the !#&.
I ended up with with predominitly Edelbrock packge IE Aluminum heads, intake, carb, cam, roller rockers and ordered the K&N filter yesterday. Although I'm not going to spring for a dyno the numbers should be in the 320-340 hp. So if the weather holds I hope to go splash in a few weeks.

Sam

Tony
03-09-2002, 09:39 PM
Sounds great, Sam...your 16 should ROCK! Why don't you do like Kent P. did and post a pic or two? Splash in a few weeks? Right now it is about 20 degrees (after being 55 this morning) and the wind is blowing at about the same mph as your 16 will be able to do!

My engine rebuild will be starting Monday...I think we're using a Crane H-272-2 cam and Roush World Jr. heads. Hopefully this will produce a package well suited to my usage and expectations.

Rootsy
03-10-2002, 08:46 AM
Sam,

what were you spinning on the alpha before you did the top end, the 19 vengence? what do you plan on running now? i think you're gonna need more than a 21 cause i'm milder than you at the moment, but hopefully not for long, and i get 4500 out of my 21 mirage.

oh yeah you asked what was up my sleeve in the other forum... somewhere in the neighborhood of 340 @ the crank... vortec's will flow plenty nough for what i need, performer rpm airgap and a crane 104224 @ 4 retarded. cept the valve spring game for chevy heads is giving me a headache... dynoed something close to this combo recently and ended up at 337 @ 4800 and 425 lb-ft of torque @ 3000. i might install the cam straight up since i don't really want to replace my alpha because of any catastrophes... puts me about 325 @ 4500 if i do that...

gotta go gotta go... spring is coming and i might want to make soem noise at AOTH... still indecisive...

Looped
03-10-2002, 09:08 AM
I have a question about the Edelbrock Performer series intakes, why do most people use the Performer RPM (0-6500rpm) intake instead of the basic Performer intake (0-5500rpm)? Maybe I’m missing something here but the standard Performer intake is designed more for our rpm range and it has a smoother idle with a more crisp response to the throttle.

Craig

Sam
03-10-2002, 09:52 AM
James, I was running a 21" Stiletto prior to the up grades. I have since then picked up a 21' and a 23 Mirage Plus, I plan on testing all three. In the back of my mind I'm thinking about a posible lab job on my final prop pick. Based on what York Propellers said they can do more with the Mirage props than the Stiletto.

Craig, I will be the first to admit that I am no gear head. I know enough to get around but when you start talking like some of the fella's do here on the board I am lost. So for guy's like me I need to ask lot's of questions to lot's of people, and that's what I did. My builder and I had conference call with an Edelbrock tech rep to discuss options. After all was said and done we made the choice to go with the Edelbrock Performer EPS intake ( new product ! Idle-5500 rpm ). There are so many choices and opinions there comes a time when you have to put your money on the table and throw the dice. Based on all the products and information out there about SBC I think it's hard to make a really bad choice unless you just start throwing things together.

Sam

jwright
03-10-2002, 09:56 AM
Sounds really cool Sam!

I remember that we dead even last spring.... so it will be interesting to see how fast you get past me now! (or how much better you can to me..)

Rootsy
03-10-2002, 10:28 AM
i havnt taken my motor apart yet so i don't know what the casting numbers are on the existing heads. if i can pull the flow sheet on them and they are fair enough i may stay with them and the edelbrock performer i have right now. I'll just slide a camshaft in between the cylinders.

Sam, if you happen to have your heads close by and can pull the casting numbers i'd be most appreciative... should be a long 9 digit or so number cast into the head...

Sam
03-10-2002, 10:55 AM
If your talking about the old heads no I don't, they are at the shop.

Sam

Looped
03-10-2002, 12:17 PM
Sam,
By no means am I trying to sound like a "Motorhead", I've been out of the engine tinkering thing for a good ten now but I can't stay away from it any longer. I think that the new EPS intake that you got is the same as the Performer one but it is based on that nasty saying "environmentally safe" to make it run cleaner and be 50 state legal (I think that’s what I read about them). I was just going by the specs on the Performer intake and I think that going with the Air Gap one maybe the only improvement and not spending the extra money on the RPM that you cannot utilize for marine use. Of course I could be wrong, believe me it would not be the first time.

Sam
03-10-2002, 12:31 PM
Craig, if you come the Edelbrock article you mentioned I would like to take a peak at it. The only info I have is what is published in the catolog. There they speak of a new runner design that increases torque an little more hp.

Sam

Rootsy
03-10-2002, 03:03 PM
well i think the only thing you really get by going to an rpm over the regular performer is a bit more plenum volume and runner length so you increase your top end horsepower at the expense of some low speed torque... but where do we most generally run? 3000 rpm on up? So if anything ya lose out of the hole. On the 350 you are sucking enough air that you really aren't over intaked although you probably won't be quite as snappy down in the lower rpm ranges. I have no problem with the performer for i have one now... but if i move to vortec heads with freer flow capability i figured i'd try and give ti an intake that is compatible and i like the seperated runner and plenum design since you don't get a lot of air circulation under the hatch as it is... actually if i keep my current heads (after a short flowbench session) i might modify a performer airgap to use splayed center bolts and stick it on... just my opinion which god knows sometimes holds NO water!

SS18
03-10-2002, 06:56 PM
Anyone need 87 and up dual plane hi rise cast iron bowtie just boiled and painted 0-5500?
jim in NJ

Rootsy
03-10-2002, 07:31 PM
since we've gone there.. anyone interested in an edelbrock performer non egr 87-96 (canted center intake bolts) manifold? it is still on the motor but it'll be comin off soon enough...

Looped
03-11-2002, 10:00 AM
Sam,
I must have been thinking of something else, here is the article that you must already have and it sounds like it's designed more for the marine use too. As of now it does not look like they make it for the Vortec line yet but it could always be drilled and tapped for it if they never make one. Thanks for the info.

Here is the article:
http://www.donzi.net/photos/cringer0eps.jpg