PDA

View Full Version : Fresh motor

Kent Perroux
03-09-2002, 01:10 PM
Not as neat as some of your motors out there, but I thought you'd like to see my new color. Thought seriously about a 502, but I like the way the 18 handles better with the smallblock.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/kperroux107.jpg

Sam
03-09-2002, 01:17 PM
Very nice ! what are the spec's ?

Sam

Tomahawk
03-09-2002, 01:33 PM
Kent - super clean. Does this mean you are not selling your 18?

Kent Perroux
03-09-2002, 01:34 PM
Same specs as before, just new rings, bearings and paint.

350ci
9.2:1
Dart Sportsman heads
Victor Jr. Intake
Holley 715 cfm
Cam 488/488 320 adv dur
Stainless Marine exhaust
Forged balanced internals
Can run to 6000 rpm, but I usually like to keep it around 4500 - 5500.

Kent Perroux
03-09-2002, 01:38 PM
Yes Tom, I am keeping the 18. I figured although I need a bigger boat, I also need something for the lakes around here and the replacement cost is way too high to justify selling it for a small amount.

In the process of either raising the X-dim on the Volvo or installing a Bravo.

RH
03-09-2002, 03:20 PM
Kent, Nice looking Plant. I am sitting here in my office after enduring a nice white out this morning. Typical Iowa March, thunderstorm last night, then Blizard this morning! Hornet is all nustled in the building just waiting for the first splash of my ownership and the new year. Since you have great practice, are you ready to take my engine and do your magic?!!!

GEOO
03-09-2002, 04:08 PM
Kent,
Glad to hear you're thinking of keeping her!!! Nice looking engine..Go for the Bravo... GEOO

Tony
03-09-2002, 09:24 PM
Kent,
Did you get any offers on your 280T? Although I don't need it right now I may be interested in it as a backup for when my antique AQ200 finally bites the dust. Please e-mail me and give me an idea of what you'd like for it, if in fact you're switching to the Bravo. Thanks!
Tony
ajs67donzi@hotmail.com

SS18
03-10-2002, 06:45 PM
Kent,
Nice upgrade to a really fine boat! I would have bought your boat in a heartbeat but I too have an
18 with already more than most will pay! So you just have to keep it and buy another boat! Gee life sucks for us! :D :D
Jim in NJ

Kent Perroux
03-10-2002, 10:03 PM
Yup, wife is just going to have to get used to the idea of two boats. (or more).

CDMA
03-10-2002, 10:59 PM
Kent,

I too am going to a Bravo one and is that a crank mounted raw water pump bracket on the front of the engine? If so where is it off of and what pump do you use. Engine looks great. Glad to hear you are keeping the boat.

Chris

DS88
03-11-2002, 08:42 AM
Kent,

What type of paint did you use on the engine? Did you prime it first with some type of primer? It looks great!!

Thanks,

Dave

Kent Perroux
03-12-2002, 01:40 PM
Actually the picture does not do it justice. Looks really good in the sunlight.

Primer: 2-part epoxy primer
Paint: Imron 2-part Bright Blue Metallic

This stuff is hard as nails.

BigGrizzly
03-12-2002, 06:35 PM
Crank mounted raw water pumpscan be had from Overton's or Osco. I have installed many. I think Forrest has one on the little green giant. They run fron $179->$220.

Randy

CDMA
03-12-2002, 06:40 PM
I got the pump. However it has a BBC bracket and am trying to find what bracket can be used on a SBC with this pump as it is free.

Chris

DS88
03-12-2002, 07:34 PM
Kent,

Is that Imron paint a High-Temperature product? I'll be using it over AWL Grip-545 primer. It's also nice to see that the Stainless Marine exhaust manifolds clear the tall valve covers. Are you running roller rockers? Can you remove the valve cover without removing the exhaust?

Thanks,

Dave

Forrest
03-13-2002, 10:47 AM
Randy, don't have a crank mount pump on Lit'l Green, but I do run crank-mount pumps on the X-18/383/TRS and on the 383s in the Magnum.

Kent, that blue SBC looks nice!

CDMA
03-13-2002, 11:06 AM
Forrest do you know the origin of those brackets? Aka what engine did they come on?

Chris

Forrest
03-13-2002, 11:58 AM
Chris, try Basic Power Industries (http://www.basicpower.com/) in NC for the pump arm and the pump mounting bushing. The crank-mounted pump is the way Volvo-Penta has done it for a number of years now, and there are a number of different pumps available with varing capacities available. The guys at Basic Power can tell you what's available and usually have it in stock at a discount price with free shipping. Also a good thing to know is even though the pump arm mounts to two holes on front of the the block that may already be in use by an alternator bracket, the pump arm is simply a curved mild steel tube with the pump mounting eye welded on one end, and flattened on the other with two holes drilled in order to mount it to the block. That means the arm can be modified to work with your alternator bracket if necessary, by cutting, heating, hammering, and (or) welding. This is definatly the case if your are going to use a GIL alternator bracket, which BTW I think are the best out there. One other thing to condiser when using a crank-mounted water pump with an aluminum-billet crank-pulley, is that the water pump's mounting flange aligns itself with stampings in the center of the stock steel pulley. The aluminum pulley does not have any alignment features when pulled out of the box - but it can be done!

Kent Perroux
03-13-2002, 02:07 PM
CDMA - The water pump bracket is from Volvo AQ290 engine.

Paint - Not high temp. Imron should be more than sufficient for the temperatures I should see on water-cooled parts. Even cheap paints work for that.