PDA

View Full Version : Water ON Distributor Cap

RickR
03-09-2002, 07:20 AM
I'm stumped???
Above 3500rpms I am getting water on top of the distributor cap and directly above it on the bottom of the hatch? Water on the cap is causing a misfire.

I am not getting significant water in bidlge.

It's sea water so it's not comming from the crankcase ventilation hoses.

I cannot hear, nor have I found any exhaust leaks. Silent Choice looks good.

Now I am guessing water is comming from the hatch trough. But I can't figure how water would get in that area?

Any ideas?

BTW; This Florida weather is more like it, 80 degrees, 10 knot winds. :D :D :D
The Boss and I had a fine day cruising yesterday to Cayo Costa State Park. 6 miles of island beach we shared with only 2 other boats (that left at 5PM), sea birds and Ospreys.

Tomahawk
03-09-2002, 09:26 AM
Hi Rick - I had a somewhat similar deal that turned out to be that the speedometer tube had come off the nipple on the outdrive on the inside of the transom. Couldn't see it while running slow. However, this tends to put quite a bit of water in the boat at speed. Plus, the speedometer won't work. Something to check anyway.

Greg
03-09-2002, 10:48 AM
Rick, You might also want to check the seal between your deck and the hull. On my 18, when a wave would hit the side of the boat water would squirt on my feet. I just caulked it up and everything was fine.

Formula Jr
03-10-2002, 05:19 AM
How hard would it be to run with the hatch off, observer in the back seat? i know its a pain to unscrew stuff if it isn't a removeable lid, but you can find out all kind of stuff, like arcings, what the secondaries are doing, where leaks are really coming from and lots of other stuff.

I had a bunch of different things happening at once, once. Couldn't figure it out cause I could never see what the engine was doing at WOT. It just took one hour of observing with another driver to pin all of it down. And it was more than one thing in this one case, there was both arcing in the harness and an exhaust manifold leak shorting a plug. There was no way to trace it unless you could see what was going on at WOT. You might have some kind of strange spray arc from the exchanger. Who knows? Ya gotta see it in action.

RickR
03-10-2002, 06:01 AM
Thanks for the replys!

I'll check the hose, seal and take the hatch off when I get in some fresh water.

If I just had someone that would drive @ WOT at Lake Dora? Poodle?

Till then I'm running with a Zip-Lock bag over the distributor :rolleyes: We call that Appalachian Engineering wink

Formula Jr
03-10-2002, 06:27 AM
You are ASKING people if they want to run YOUR boat at WOT.
I think I just dislocated my arm raising my hand. :D

Its too bad we all live so far away from eachother............

If Poodle gets to run your boat at WOT, I'm gonna be really pissed, cause he has already ground in the climate thing, and now he can grind in the, "I'm close enough to..." to have fun with this thing, thing. And that just seems like too much happiness for one person....... :D

RickR
03-10-2002, 08:49 AM
Yep! Sunburnt, windburnt and sore back and shoulders from running offshore. Ain't life in the sunshine state a bitch :D :D :D

JR if it makes you feel better it's supposed to be cloudy and only 75 on Tues! And BRRRRR the water is cold 59.

Donzified
03-10-2002, 04:47 PM
Your bildge pump never gets ALL the water out. Water left will bounce around ,get into your belts etc and generaly go anywere.You know what happens when a passenger just can't/won't dump there open beverage, don't you?

RickR
03-12-2002, 09:20 AM
Tomahawk I owe you one :D
It was the speedo tube. I haven't found the leak yet but a piece of tape over the pick-up hole in the drive stopped it.
Thanks!