PDA

View Full Version : Ready for paint

Todd
06-04-2000, 08:32 PM
I have no experience painting, Does anyone know of someone who could paint my 16OB in the northeast?

Eight_(8)_Ball
06-04-2000, 10:20 PM
check your local listing for fiberglass repair shops , where are you at?

------------------

seano
06-05-2000, 08:59 AM
If you're on LI, I know someone on the east end---guy does real nice work send me an email and I'll give you his name.

CDMA
06-05-2000, 03:25 PM
I just finished my 18 and had no experience painting at all before. It came out real nice but it was a tremendous amont of work. It is not something you can not learn but if you do not have the inclination it is not worth it. It also is more work as well as more money than you think. I will be happy to tell you more about my experiences if you want.

Chris
meander77@go.com

GeneD
06-06-2000, 07:45 AM
There is no doubt in my mind that painting a boat is one of the hardest things a man (or tough woman) can do.
I have spent what? Close to 6 weeks preparing a 21 Mako for paint that in actuality took less than an hour to paint.
I tell you what guys, this paint I am using is absolutely foolproof. The only drawback is that it costs a mint. (Desothane, by PPG)
Sanding has drained me. Sand til smooth, paint with primer, sand it smooth. Paint with primer, sand it smooth.
Gosh, I'm tired just talking about it.
But anyway, the Desothane goes on smooth, and stays smooth. You have to be an absolute buffoon to screw this up. I had only one run (sag), and I was emptying the gun on the unprepared (primered only, no sanding) transom, and it still came out smooth and shiny.
Yes, you need inspiration to complete a job like this. I don't think I'll be getting inspired again real soon unless the job is going to pay a nice, comfy, 4 figure check.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

seano
06-06-2000, 08:14 AM
Gene,

No kidding, I did my 30' Shadow Cat 3 years ago, and let me tell you, I will never do it again. It was humbling work and character building...now I'm a real character! Incidently, I did the prep work and had my painter spray the imron. So when it came time to do the Cigarette, I paid my painter to do the entire job...it cost a bit more, so i just put in some more hours at work.