PDA

View Full Version : mufflers

Dave Strobert
06-04-2000, 07:16 PM
A while back there were posts about Gil clamp on 4" mufflers and a place that gives a break to Donzi owners. If anyone remembers could you repost. thanks. Seems as the local cops have a new decible meter and are making us help pay for it with our "loud exhaust". 250 bucks a pop. Don't know what they will do with the two Poker Runs this summer.

------------------
Strobe

Forrest
06-05-2000, 09:10 AM
Dave, I can't believe that the cops are messing with a good tax-paying Donzi owner like yourself! Man oh man, I guess its just another way to make a couple extra bucks for their coffee and doughnut fund. By the way, what part of he world are these "muffler-enforcement" cops doing their dirty work?

Anyway, I don't know about the "Donzi discount" (it makes since though), but you may want to check with CP Performance (http://www.cpperformance.com). They seem to have good prices on GIL exhaust components. In fact, when I talked the GIL folks at the Miami International Boat Show last February, they recommended CP for the best price. If you buy directly from GIL, you will pay full retail.

------------------
Forrest

boxy
06-05-2000, 10:06 AM
Forrest, I'm pretty sure the guys Dave is talking about are either US Coast Guard, or NY State Police, patrolling the US side of the St. Lawrence River, in the 1000 Islands between up-state NY, and eastern Ontario.

------------------
boxy
mailto:sboxma@sprint.casboxma@sprint.ca</A>
Smuggler's Cove
Ontario

PaulO
06-05-2000, 11:05 AM
Dave,
I happily reported on the addition of my Gil transom mount silencers last season. They did not rob a single RPM and sounded great. Really took the edge off. Unfortunately, I must report a problem I have had since. When I re-powered over the winter, I removed the mufflers to find a large number of rust scales clogging the fins. This was with new manifolds/risers. There is no way to get the scales out of the mufflers without removing them and the clogging can definately create back pressure and add to the tendency for reversion. I have since repowerd with (again) new manifolds and risers and had the same problem to a lesser degree. I called Gil and they kindly informed me that I was crazy and that they had never heard such a thing. I have since cut holes in my mufflers to let the scales out and am shopping for replacements. Although I never would have thought it, it appears that cast iron risers shed a decent amount of scale over time. And these mufflers are not able to deal with it.
PaulO

Dave Strobert
06-05-2000, 07:09 PM
boxy's right on the location. Alexandria Bay NY. The mufflers most likely are designed for stainless systems. You would think that there must be a way to clean out the rust. I'm sure that my 73 has its share.
Think that I will try a set anyway. Got some pics, will post them when I figure out how.Thanks guys

------------------
Strobe

GeneD
06-06-2000, 07:31 AM
Ooooo...
This must be the reasont that thru hull, straight out exhaust is the best!!!
Scale? Rust scale? Uhhhh.
Never considered it, but it just makes sense.
Next step, ceramic manifolds.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida