PDA

View Full Version : SE Classic too much horsepower?

Jason Stanley
03-07-2002, 01:50 PM
I fell in love with the new classic 22 se, and want to purchase one. However, I want to build a custom blower motor for it. After reading the review from hot boat magazine I don't know if I should or not. Is this boat going to be safe at higher speeds or should I leave well enough alone?

CDMA
03-07-2002, 01:56 PM
Ask Ted ( HP500-22). He knows that boat better than anyone. I think it needs dual hydraulic steering and maybe some setback ( externsion box).

I am in the process of building a 22 classic with a 615 hp blower motor and I am comfortable with the fact it will be safe. However I am using an Arneson ASD-6 and extension box so it might be a beast of a different nature.

Chris

mattyboy
03-07-2002, 01:57 PM
Ted will answer that, we here feel that they didn't know what they were doing,the boat tested by them in the 70's but in factory tests was in the 80's do a search back a month or so ago on the SE

matt

FASTEDDIE
03-07-2002, 03:45 PM
Jason,
I don't see an email address for you. First, welcome to the board. We Donzi Classic fans at Lake George have a special edition with a blower on it. Its a custom chrome Whipple and the engine dynoded out at 740 horsepower. After 2-3 months of prop testing the final result was 96 MPH on GPS. If you would like to see pictures of the installation go to www.perfmar.com (http://www.perfmar.com) and click on "New Donzi Special Edition". Builder is Jason Saris of Saris Engines and Performance Marine and he can be reached at 1-518-644-3080. Good Luck and its a knockout package.

HP 600SC
03-07-2002, 05:30 PM
Looks like Fasteddie beat me to it. :D
Yes it would be safe, especially with dual hydrolic steering. The boneheads at PB mag.
didnt have a clue about that boat.
I am in the process of buying a supercharger
for mine as we speak, still cant decide on BDS
or the blower shop.Maybe even Weiand......
any thoughts from you guy's ?

BigGrizzly
03-07-2002, 06:58 PM
Jason I have a 1981 Criterion 22 with a 698Hp procharged motor and it does get your attention at 80+ MPH. Keep in mind I don't have hydraulic steering or anything special, except some home grown engineering. Now at 78 it is a dream. The guys who did the power boat mag artical are Mastercraft drivers and are use to 42->46 mph on a good day. The fact is they over trimmed the boat.

Ted go with BDS. Craig is a master at doing the impossible, like putting the blower under your hatch. He put twins on a late model vette and you can't se them from out side.

Randy