PDA

View Full Version : Restoring Old plexiglass Windshields

Craig
03-07-2002, 06:15 AM
Does anybody know if there is a way to buff scratches (reasonably small ones) out of the old plexiglass or plastic style windshields? Seems to me that someone once told me about a product that would do that. If not, does anyone know of a repro. of these old windshields? The ones I'm refferring look like the one on Tony Sporer's 16 (see his registry pic - I'm assuming thats a plexiglass one -- the shape's right) Also on a lot of old Hornets.

jwright
03-07-2002, 06:17 AM
I know that Meguirs has compound for taking out small scratches available at WEST Marine. Not sure if you could do a full restoration with it though....

RH
03-07-2002, 07:06 AM
Craig, I know that the Meguires Plexiglass restorer is a great project. I have used it before on my Century windhields with surprisingly good results. My Hornet windshield needs a good buffing, so I will be using that again. I have two small craks in my windshield, so I am getting a quote on a NOS style replacement for it. I have a message from Guillermo at claims187@cs.com for the boat. I got his address from the parts section on this site. Anyone have any experience with this company?
RH

marcdups
03-07-2002, 06:45 PM
There is a product out there by the name of Novus I believe, they have a plexiglass restorer system, like a three or four step product, have used it in the past and does wonders, will try and find more info for ya.
http://www.ridoutplastics.com/polishes.html, well there it is, good luck.

Craig
03-08-2002, 06:56 AM
Thanks for the help! I ought to be able to find something from this info. that works. If I have good success with one of them I'll give a report.