PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Annual LA Labor Day Donzi Roundup

Emmo
05-30-2000, 01:39 PM
I need to get us a deal on the accomodations for the 2nd annual Labor Day affair at Lakepoint Resort in Eufaula, Alabama. Lake Eufaula is on the Chatahoochee River just before it meets the Flint and becomes the Appalachiacola. We had a blast last year and I anticipate it to be even better this year. The resort is state-owned and not too expensive. I need to know how many of you are planning on coming this year so that I can get the accomodations negotiated. Please email me and let me know if you will be interested in attending.

------------------
Emmo mailto:emmette@emmette.comemmette@emmette.com</A>

digitalMan
05-30-2000, 02:31 PM
I drove through Eufala on the way to Panama City from Charlotte to buy my Donzi. That is one pretty town. Very unexpected. Is this a Donzi get-together?

Forrest
05-30-2000, 03:23 PM
Yep digitalMan, another Donzi get-together! Emmo, put me down for this one. We may even want to consider George T. Bagby State Park (http://www.fortgaines.com/bagby.html) on the Georgia side of the lake. It's a little further south on the wide part of the lake. But then again, it's going to be tough to beat the prices and accomodations at Lakepoint State Park and Resort! Also, since Bagby has only 30 rooms, I understand that it's more difficult to get reservations there.

------------------
Forrest

[This message has been edited by Forrest (edited 05-30-2000).]

GeneS
05-30-2000, 04:43 PM
Hey Emmo,

Chi Chi will return. I will bring my buddy with his 2+3 (now running without water in the crankcase).

Lots of fun and GREAT Mexican food in town!!

------------------
Gene Schmidt
'74 X-18 "Chi Chi"

GeneD
05-31-2000, 07:51 AM
This interests me greatly.
But inless I get a new tow vehicle, I will not go.
I need someone that will buy me a truck from an auction or some such.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

Emmo
06-01-2000, 10:19 AM
Mike Miller from Donzi just replied saying either he or Nick will be there! What a great bunch of guys! I have 10 rooms reserved but anyone wanting to come will need to call (800) 544-5253 and ask for one of the rooms reserved for the Classic Donzi Registry. The rooms are $49/night for one person and $58/night for more than one. Ask for Sone (sounds like Sony) but any of the reservations people will do. If you don't reserve a room with your credit card, then they will not hold them past July 31. The lodge is getting full, so its first come first serve. More info on the park can be found at Lakepoint's website (http://www.dcnr.state.al.us/parks/lakepoint_1a.html)
This is going to be great! http://206.150.187.82/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------

Forrest
06-01-2000, 12:20 PM
Way to go Emmo! Also, if anyone from Florida east or south of Tallahasse needs a couch to stay on, or a place to clean your Donzi, or even slap in a new set of plugs on the way to Lake Eufaula, just come on by. It will be no problem.

Someone with a tow vehicle that runs go over to Melbourne and hitch up GeneD and 007.

How 'bout you Nathan? The fresh water in that lake really won't hurt your new engine . . . BTW, one of these days we need to have a Donzi get-together somewhere on the Florida west cost in your back yard as well.

This Donzi get-together at Lake Eufaula is somewhat centrally located to all points in the south. So hitch up and come on!

------------------
Forrest

[This message has been edited by Forrest (edited 06-01-2000).]

GeneD
06-02-2000, 07:24 AM
Funny how things have a way of turning out out.
I am in the process of buying a 1990 Chevrolet S-10 pickup (never thought I'd EVER own a pickup) with an auto and 4 banger. AC and all!
For the bargain basement price of $100!
Thing is, it has a hole in the block. And there is this big ole heavy connecting rod sticking through it.
But...I have two 4 hole blocks in my shop.
Let's see what happens...
Do you think a 4 cylinder would pull the Donzi?
Maybe I should consider a 305?

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

boxy
06-02-2000, 08:04 AM
GeneD, I'm sure it will pull it, the more pressing question is will it stop it ?

------------------
boxy
mailto:sboxma@sprint.casboxma@sprint.ca</A>
Smuggler's Cove
Ontario

Forrest
06-02-2000, 09:58 AM
Congrats Gene! Welcome to the South. All you need now is a dog box in the back, a pit-bull (the offical dog of the State of Florida), and some glass-pack mufflers. As long as you don't say anything, everyone will think you were born and raised in West Melbourne.

------------------
Forrest

seano
06-02-2000, 10:49 AM
Gene,

boxy's right...many many moons ago, I had a 21 Checkmate with 235 Johnson and used to tow it with my 1983 Foed Ranger 4-banger. Although I never tried it at the ramp it towed fine---just took a little while to get going. Stopping was the fun part---the boat would try and push the back of the truck around. If you put a 305/350 in it I think you'll be okay---worst case, maybe add some weight in the bed.

Tom on Lanier
06-07-2000, 06:21 AM
:cool; Emmo, Thanks for taking the initiative on this -- I'm in.Made reservations yesterday. Need to wait for June to get back from a quilt thing in Nashville so,will be there late afternoon on Saturday.Working on the other Donzi owners at Honda Marine as well. We'll be there!

[This message has been edited by Tom on Lanier (edited 06-07-2000).]

wbateman
06-07-2000, 03:11 PM
Count me in. Will be there with little red!

Tom on Lanier
06-07-2000, 11:02 PM
Randy's in also. Just trying to decide whether to bring his Corsican or the Criterian he just bought, or both somehow.Interesting either way!

GEOO
06-08-2000, 06:20 AM
Emmo, How many miles from NYC?? Maybe my boat will be done!! GEOO

Emmo
06-08-2000, 05:44 PM
The estimated travel time is 16 hours, 52 minutes for 1040.13 miles of travel, according to Vicinity. All but 90 miles of it are Interstate highway, the rest is US highway.

Come on down, with or without the boat! We'd love to have you. BTW, the sender that you gave me for my oil pressure guage works like a charm. Thanks.

------------------

Blewbyu
06-08-2000, 06:15 PM
Gene-Best bet is to put the 350 in the front, and the 4 hole block in the back with a chain hooked to the rod sticking out of the block.When you wanna stop- push th' 4 holer outta the tailgate......they make reeeel good anchors too.......
Best Regards- Uncle Jeffrey

GEOO
06-08-2000, 06:31 PM
Emmo, I'm glad the sending unit worked for you. Hum, 1000 +- miles 16+ hours, that may be possible!! GEOO

Emmo
07-13-2000, 09:33 AM
OK, we have actually had 4 more rooms reserved than I had asked for originally, giving a us total so far of 12 regular rooms and 2 suites. The resort is willing to keep adding them as they are available, but they are getting scarce. If you would like to go and are not sure, go ahead and reserve one and you can cancel it later if your plans don't work out.

------------------

Tom on Lanier
07-25-2000, 05:52 AM
Emmo,
How's the lake level at Eufaula? Lanier is down about 10 feet right now and dropping about 8" per week. I have a lake map of Eufaula but am hoping that you know the lake and can give some guidance when we get there.
GEOO - if it helps, you (or anyone else) are welcome to stop here on Thursday night to break up the trip.I'm 198 miles from the resort and will be heading that way sometime Friday morning.

------------------
Tom

Forrest
07-25-2000, 08:26 AM
Tom, the latest report (http://www.fishconnect.com/State/AL/Eufaula/eufaula.htm)that I got (July 10), was that the lake was down 5 ft., water was clear, water temp: 86 - 92 degrees. I also called Lakepoint Marina to ask about the water level in relation to the boat ramps and they said the all is well and there is no problem launching or retrieving boats. BTW, the ramps at Lakepoint are in excellent condition with long well maintained piers. If I recall, four boats or more can be launched or retrieved on their ramps at the same time. There is no ramp fee for guests staying in the lodge. Also, there is limited free overnight in water mooring in front of the lodge, but definitely not enough space for 12 to 20 boats. Although it safe to keep you boat at the docks, if you are like me, you will probably want to dock your Donzi on the trailer at night. Last year we kept three Donzis at the docks overnight, but you had to get there and get a slip before all the fishermen returned in their bass or pontoon boats.

Also, 89 is available at the gas dock at Lakepoint and 93 is available a only few miles up the road. Gas prices in Alabama are better than in Florida, but may not be as cheap as in Georgia. I saw gas at a Texaco in south Georgia last week for $1.439 for 87; $1.529 for 89; and $1.599 for 93. Emmo, how much is a gallon of (name brand)gasoline up there in 'Bama?

------------------
Forrest

[This message has been edited by Forrest (edited 07-25-2000).]

Emmo
07-25-2000, 12:15 PM
The bottom dollar gas stations are selling regular for about $1.39/gal. Amoco Ultimate is going from $1.69 to about $1.83, but that is up in Montgomery. I would recommend topping everything up in the Atlanta area or in Georgia somewhere if you are coming that way. I think Florida is more expesnive than Alabama for gas, but Georgia (especially Atlanta) is the cheapest in the country.

------------------

GEOO
07-25-2000, 02:16 PM
Tom, Thank for the offer. I'm not sure if I can make it down, I'll keep you posted. GEOO