PDA

View Full Version : Experience with Stern Jack

CDMA
03-06-2002, 12:50 PM
Caught this on OSO. Thought it might interest a few of you.

Chris

Escape Velocity

I had a SternJack on my last boat (18' Python Vyper - like an 18' Donzi Classic). I picked up a few miles an hour, but the investment was totally justified by the great improvement in handling and stability at all speeds. Full throttle and trim used to be extremely tricky to drive. With the SternJack it was practically driving with just two fingers. After installing a 383 stroker motor and Alpha SS drive I was running about 80 and the stability was even more appreciated.

BigGrizzly
03-06-2002, 07:57 PM
I live on the Vipers home ground. The owner of Python boats would disagree. Several years back Hot boat did a test on a Viper. It clocked at 82+ mph and that was with a 406 cdi and 675hp outlaw motor built by Garry Grimes. The boat had an ss drive and a raised X dimension with external steering. The boat was a handful. Later they put on a stern jack and the only thing that changed was it was more sensitive to trim. I have heard all these stories about increased speed until you really GPS it. I have driven some and I feel it’s a waste of money. Put your money in the engine and Hydraulic steering. Here is something to think about, you extend it 6 inches than think of the leverage the drive has on the internal steering components. It comes to be almost triple the load on the steering pieces. Now you need external steering with longer rams than stock to compensate. What is the end cost?

Randy