PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic Steering Question

Rick
03-06-2002, 10:49 AM
On my 21GT Twin I have cable steering. I think that it is dangerous(nor can it be rated). Way too much feedback (Wheel would pull out of your hand). My motors don't have accomodations for power steering. Who makes a hydraulic steering package that would be rated for 600+ hp(motors combined) on twins on a 21' boat. Thanks in advance for your help. Rick

Woodsy
03-06-2002, 11:52 AM
Rick...

There are a quite a few options. Depends on what outdrive setup you have. You might have to make some customn brackets if you are using some of the older volvos. But I would try Imco, or Latham, or Marine Machine. They all make very high quality stuff. I think the new F-2 boat uses Latham equipment. Just hold on to your wallet... this will set you back a minimum of $2.5-$3K...

Woodsy :D :D

MR MAGOO
03-06-2002, 04:59 PM
I had a full hydraulic set up on my 1965 16 that was made by Hynautic. Check them out, thier prices are better than the others.

Jamesbon
03-06-2002, 05:26 PM
If I had Volvo's, I'd go with Hynautic or Seastar. Too much $$ for the other stuff in conjunction with Volvo's.

Donzified
03-06-2002, 08:05 PM
Hynautic for me . Make sure you match the pump to the ram. Single ram is enough, double is safer/heaver. You need a bracket to mount to the top of the drive. It is sooo nice to be able to let go of the wheel. With the old cable steering I would not let the Donzi girl drive until she proved she could turn a hard left at speed.

HP 600SC
03-06-2002, 08:21 PM
Single ram is not satisfactory on a twin drive
set up. Latham is the best and has the best warrenty and the only steering manufacturer
that is insured.

CDMA
03-06-2002, 08:48 PM
Latham is really nice stuff but I know what you mean about the price. For a Volvo set up the steering is worth twice what the drive is! Anyway I had a volvo on my 18 for a year and changed it because of the steering. To me regardless of speed and HP the internal direct one connection cable is just not safe. I have seen a couple nice budget set ups using teleflex or hynautic hydraulic but only on single applications. I think they do double ram set ups for twin boats but I am really not sure. If I had a volvo again this is something I would consider doing: I have to say the mercuiser power steering is pretty well thought out and while it is no means external steering for a below 70 mph boat it really seems to do fine. So back to what I was thinking. If I were to be in your spot I would look into getting an entire mercuiser power steering set up and putting it on the volvo. While it isn't external sure a lot better and could be done pretty cheaply if you shouted around for used parts. Basically you would need to get a rear inner transom shield and cut off the steering assembly. Then secure that steering assembly to the rear bulkhead and secure the ram to the "tiller" inside. Then just rig up the power steering pump anyway you wanted. Well I haven't looked any farther into it but I think it might work. So just something to think about.

Chris

BigGrizzly
03-07-2002, 07:16 PM
niflex has a set up with an outside cable for the Volvo, and it is low feed back. Saw it at the Miami boat show. I updated my Volvo with the update kit and its as good as my alpha boat was. The kit consits of a yoke steering arm(square hole) and a new helmet. Its nothydraulic but its ok.
Randy

Rick
03-08-2002, 07:49 AM
Thanks for all of the feedback. This information will allow me to start my research. Rick

AVickers
03-08-2002, 09:17 AM
I installed a Teleflex system on a Volvo 280. I designed the system using a low-volume pump (helm) and a medium-volume ram (I think the throw on the ram was 7 1/2"). I fabricated a bracket to mount to the exhaust elbow (where the original cable mount is attached).

They do make a double setup (either for two engines or two helms or for both...)

The unit transformed the boat and cost under $700 for the whole deal. It totally eliminated torque steer. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.The hardest part was installing and removing the exhaust manifold while I was fitting the mounting bracket up. It was also tough cutting out the dash to fit the new helm (but that was more psychological than physical...) I was even able to use the original steering wheel.

If I were to do it again, I'd use the higher-volume pump to give a quicker response to the helm.

The major advantage I see to the Mercruiser setup is that you have hydraulic boost rather than hydraulic steering. If you lose hydraulic pressure, you can still navigate the boat. With ALL the other hydraulic systems I've seen, there is no backup. I don't like this about ANY of the hydraulic systems that don't have a cable backup system...

AVickers
03-08-2002, 09:19 AM
Whoops!