PDA

View Full Version : Acid Rain

DonziDave
05-27-2000, 11:07 PM
O.K. all you finish experts out there, here's one I haven't been able to hit on the solution. My 18 is red/white, always lifted in the boathouse, always covered, never even rained on (anal? yeah - I was potty trained at gunpoint). True to Murphy's Law, whenever I put the boat on the trailer to service the storms of the decade arrive. Over the years, a couple of times, rain has blown under the cover and dried between the cover and deck leaving a white/grey stain (esp. in the red even fully waxed). Have tried all the Mequires products, oxalic acid compounds, ON-Off (a great leaching agent), etc with no luck. Each time I ended up having to sand out with 600, 1000, polish, polish, wax. There has to be a better way. Has anyone else experianced this acid rain residue problem?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions - Dave

harbormaster
05-28-2000, 07:35 AM
Dave,
More questions...
Is you boat painted or Gelcoat? If painted, what type of paint?
How old is the finish? What color is your cover? What kinda material is your cover made of?

Scot - The Harbormaster

Hotboat
05-28-2000, 10:35 AM
Maybe it is not acid rain, but the disclororation could be caused by bird dropings(always seem to like a boat house), what about corrosion coming off of the chains,nails, or screws in the top of the boathouse and dripping down. Just some ideas for thought.

------------------
Hotboat

DonziDave
05-28-2000, 11:20 AM
Hey Guys! - Thanks for the responses. Some more info: Boat is '86 model original gelcoat, like new condition, boat is never in sun except when I'm in it. Cover is full cover made for boat. Cover is made from that high end "Sundura" (sp) material which is waterproof. No contaminates from boathouse because boat stays covered.
This stain has only appeared when rain has blown under cover and gets on the deck at a contact point between the gelcoat and cover.
Thanks - Dave

Scott Pearson
05-30-2000, 03:28 PM
Dave,
Ok... To neutralize the acid rain so it does not get any worse use Baking Soda. Put about 10-12 oz in a gallon of water and wash away. As far as the staines that are left you will need to polish them out. Now bird droppings...just soap and water. Tree sap... Isopropyl Alcohol works GREAT! Takes the Sap right off.

(NJ) Scott

BERTRAM BOY
05-30-2000, 03:36 PM
Won't alcohol eat through gel coat a little ?
BERTRAM BOY

Scott Pearson
05-30-2000, 07:40 PM
Alcohol evaps. so fast it does not have time to bite into the Gel Coat. Works great on automotive paint also.